Camera alignment question

Reaction score
Hello I'm new here and just received my Phantom vision + V3 and love it.
I have watched many videos about tips and tricks and already installed prop guards and extended the landing surface to prevent tip overs.

Anyways my camera points 2-3 degrees off center. when I use the joysticks it will turn a few degrees left or right and return to "center". I did the calibration as noted in the software RC and PT2 still no change.
I haven't crashed it "yet" and use the gimble clamp religiously. I have turned it on twice with the clamp on but was quick to remove the clamp not sure if I could have messed things up.

The blue line is where its pointing red line would be straight in front of the craft

[img[/img]

I love this website and have already ordered the Stage 2 kit for the range improvement since I am in an urban area with a lot of interference. I also was just going to do the copper shield modification but learned the V3 doesn't need it.

I'm still learning about video and software. I would like to do video that has all the diagnostics showing like altitude and distance etc. I need to do some more research.

Finally I have watched a lot of videos in which they are flying these drones very high and far. I understand the need for better antennas (stage 2 on order). How do you know that you shouldn't go any further. Are you guys looking at the battery and and 50% its time to turn around? I seem to get 7-10 minutes and its stating I have 3-4 minutes left. I know its cold here say 40 degrees and that shortens flight time but I'm not getting half the flight time I'm seeing in these videos.

rotorwash said:
How do you know that you shouldn't go any further. Are you guys looking at the battery and and 50% its time to turn around?
Come home at 50% is too simplistic. You would have to be factoring in the wind too.
If you have flown downwind you would have to battle the wind coming home or conversely, you get a nice wind assist coming home if you started flying upwind.

rotorwash said:
Hello I'm new here and just received my Phantom vision + V3 and love it.
I have watched many videos about tips and tricks and already installed prop guards and extended the landing surface to prevent tip overs.

Anyways my camera points 2-3 degrees off center. when I use the joysticks it will turn a few degrees left or right and return to "center". I did the calibration as noted in the software RC and PT2 still no change.
I haven't crashed it "yet" and use the gimble clamp religiously. I have turned it on twice with the clamp on but was quick to remove the clamp not sure if I could have messed things up.

The blue line is where its pointing red line would be straight in front of the craft

[img[/img]

I love this website and have already ordered the Stage 2 kit for the range improvement since I am in an urban area with a lot of interference. I also was just going to do the copper shield modification but learned the V3 doesn't need it.

I'm still learning about video and software. I would like to do video that has all the diagnostics showing like altitude and distance etc. I need to do some more research.

Finally I have watched a lot of videos in which they are flying these drones very high and far. I understand the need for better antennas (stage 2 on order). How do you know that you shouldn't go any further. Are you guys looking at the battery and and 50% its time to turn around? I seem to get 7-10 minutes and its stating I have 3-4 minutes left. I know its cold here say 40 degrees and that shortens flight time but I'm not getting half the flight time I'm seeing in these videos.

If it has not been crashed an advanced IMU calibration should fix it. If it doesnt than it could have a camera that was flashed at the factory improperly. I have ran into a couple of them. You can set the shaft axis offset but it will not be easy and requires a disassemble of the gimbal. I have done a couple now.

burlbark said:
If it has not been crashed an advanced IMU calibration should fix it. If it doesnt than it could have a camera that was flashed at the factory improperly. I have ran into a couple of them. You can set the shaft axis offset but it will not be easy and requires a disassemble of the gimbal. I have done a couple now.

I have done the advanced IMU calibration so I'm guessing I will have to do the shaft axis offset. I'm ok with disassembly but would like to see some pictures or instructions before I do that.

Its not bad but my OCD kicks in and want to fix it. I might just wait till I crash it hard and need to fix it.

After my last post I did get a little careless and put too much attention on my phone screen and my video and didn't notice landing the copter on a tree. (mind you it was the only tree in a 40 meter radius) I would have been ok but the string between the rotor guards got tangled with the branches and caused the copter to hang up and fall. Luckily it tumbled down the branches and fell softly to the ground. Only damage was a cracked guard and mud in the blades.

I am going to start flying without the guards. I notice that the wind really gives the copter fits when flying and with my experience with toy helicopters I feel confident that I don't need the guards as much as I thought I did.

I looked into that allen screw too.. Looks like the shaft has a flat side when that screw sets and has no effect on adjustment.

I actually contacted DJI directly and was told it needs to be sent in for repair!

Yes I noticed that keyed shaft too. I was hoping someone would have a fix. I think I will live with it for now. I'm not going to ship it back to China.

I have read a few others with the same problem so its not uncommon.

Get in touch with Hani on the DJI Phantom Vision + Owners Facebook page. He knows everything about the gimbal & is a really nice & helpful person. He should be able to answer that.

Larry L said:
Get in touch with Hani on the DJI Phantom Vision + Owners Facebook page. He knows everything about the gimbal & is a really nice & helpful person. He should be able to answer that.
will look him up which FB page seems to be a few with that title

Sorry I did not see the question.... The flat on the shaft does not allow for rotation. That being said DJI will often tell you to buy a new gimbal. If thats the case and the advanced IMU calibration did not alleviate the problem and a new compass did not fix it, it may require a new potentiometer on the main gimbal control board. They can get damaged from a rough landing and throw off the registered value.

It is an ALPS 10k surface mount. If this still does not fix it and DJI wont replace it you can shim the flat on the shaft and tighten the lock screw back down and adjust it pointing forward..... I just came up with the shim Idea... ;)

Thanks for your reply. I wonder if it happen from shipping since it wasn't crashed when noticed or had any hard landings. I guess for now I will just fly it since I'm sure it will crash sooner or later. Besides its not that bad maybe 2 degrees off center.

Are you guys looking at the battery and and 50% its time to turn around?

Rule of thumb on the water is 1/3 out and 1/3 back and 1/3 in the tank for problem management, missed approaches and bad weather.

Little update on mine.. I brought it to the local service shop before shipping it to Cali. They tech asked about hard landing and said it's because the arm connecting the camera to the drone is slightly bent. If DJI refuses to warranty it will cost around $150 for a new arm, ribbon cable and install..

Since I know my drone has been taken care of, no hard landings and only been out twice.. I will lose a lot of faith in DJI if they refuse to back a defect.. Or pull the "within acceptable tolerances" crap.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost