Calling wayponit fliers - Google Elevation and Digital Terrain Model support

Reaction score
DJI Ultimate Flight (DJI Ultimate Flight - v3 - Android Apps on Google Play) has just released a number of features specifically designed for waypoint flight operations. The first and more general purpose facility extends the capability to define waypoint altitudes as "above ground level" (AGL), the second and more specialized feature if the capability to use "digital terrain model" (DTM).

First; "AGL" - When selecting AGL for the waypoint altitudes you can freely select altitudes that represent the altitude above the ground (not above takeoff as traditional). Once the mission is designed you have 2 options for flight, the 1st is to fly the mission as-is. When beginning an AGL mission the app will contact Google Elevation Services (GE) and convert between AGL to above take-off (ATO), using the home point as the elevation reference. The second option is to define the mission using AGL and then toggle the option to ATO. The app will prompt to convert AGL to ATO (again using WP1 or home point) and the mission will be converted to altitudes above takeoff. Because GE may not be 100% accurate an additional review screen has been included to validate the elevation profile of the mission.

Second: DTM - DTM files can be downloaded or generated by any number of higher-end mapping and survey applications. DTM files tend to be significantly more accurate than GE depending on the service used to generate the DTM file. Once loaded onto the Android the DTM file is uses instead of Google Elevation. DTM files can also be loaded during mission creation, displaying a bounding box representing the elevation reports of the DTM file. Future enhancements to DTM file support will include the capability to display flight altitude "above ground".

Both features should be very helpful, especially to those flying in areas where ground elevation may not be perfectly flat.

When combined with the custom waypoint types (e.g., Orbit) the ability to create orthogonal imagery becomes much simpler. For example, UF can generate a near-perfect orbit waypoint mission (you set the center, the app calculates the orbit's points). If the ground elevation changes between waypoints then using AGL altitude will adjust the flight altitude, maintaining a constant above ground altitude which should yield significantly more accurate orthogonal imagery and calculations.

More details can be found in the app's documentation: http://djiultimateflight.com/images/DJI Ultimate Flight V3.pdf

Enjoy and fell free to ask questions as needed.

An example of what is possible using the new features can be found here: Oblivision Online

Reactions: Dirty Bird
The PDF is not viewable anymore. I'm please Interesting in mapping the elevation / contours of a area of about 600 Acres remotely. amongst things I'm wanting to chart the elevation and contours. Can Litchi cannot do this? Can an IOS app u mention do things the any other apps that can, I'll be using P4. Any help will be appreciated. Thks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I do have a Android cell phone -- but would have to buy a android tablet to use your cool sounding software. One main reason many flock to the DJI products is their continued support of IOS. Hope you change your mind. Think IOS and make more profit.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Ignore the world's largest device audience, and likely the largest device audience for DJI. Yeah. That makes sense. As they said, let me know when you're ready to get serious about your business model.

Last edited:
OK. I watched as much out of curiosity as anything else, though I would never buy an app I couldn't run on both platforms.

What does this do exactly that Litchi doesn't? I could not see where your demo, at least, offered anything beyond Litchi which is time proven. I'd like to be able to visualize what you're offering in addition to Litchi, but I just can't see it I guess. Just a sincere question.

OK. I watched as much out of curiosity as anything else, though I would never buy an app I couldn't run on both platforms.

What does this do exactly that Litchi doesn't? I could not see where your demo, at least, offered anything beyond Litchi which is time proven. I'd like to be able to visualize what you're offering in addition to Litchi, but I just can't see it I guess. Just a sincere question.

UF includes a number of things not in other apps. In the area of waypoints specifically UF has specialty waypoints that allow the user to configure a single waypoint and to have the app calculate the points needed to fly the operation. For example, the orbit waypoint allows you to set the radius, degrees of rotation, etc. and the app calculates the points needed to fly the orbit. No other app has these.

I also recently added camera profiles; saved collections of camera settings that can be configured and assigned to a mission. Per waypoint mission speeds was in UF weeks before it was in Litchi. UF has a battery reporting screen; more than just battery voltage seen in other apps

UF also has a number of features specifically for environmental fliers. The ability to use "above ground" altitude is available in UF, with Litchi you only get this using the online mission planner; the app does not have it. In addition UF supports DTM (Digital Terrain Model) files which can provide high-accuracy ground level that UF can use to convert from AGL to ATO.

That said, the best way to see the differences is to try it and to help with that I extend a 7-day refund policy; not the 2 hour given by Google. If you don't like the app you can email me and I'll refund; no problem.

Docs are here if you'd like to see some of the functionality as I've covered only a small number of differences: http://djiultimateflight.com/images/DJI Ultimate Flight V3.pdf

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik