Calling before AND after flight

Reaction score
Interesting call to local flight tower yesterday. I've been calling each time before I fly, and they know me by name now. Yesterday though, on my second outing, he said, "can you give us a call when you're done?" I was happy to oblige, want to stay in good relationship, just thought it was an unusual request. Anyone else been asked to call back in to a tower at the end of your flight?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Second outing? That might be the clue.
Maybe they were busy and just felt one call was sufficient so instead of multiple calls for each outing, just an "Ok, I'm done for the day" call?

Yeah, went in the morning, then again in the afternoon. But called ahead each time. You're probably right, it was just the first time I'd been asked to call after a flight.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yeah, went in the morning, then again in the afternoon. But called ahead each time. You're

Depending on who's working when you call, you can get various replies from very positive to very not so positive.
One time I called the guy was rude and arrogant and starting asking a bunch of personal questions.
I think he would have taken my address and phone number if I had played along but after asking for my phone number I politely said I wouldn't be flying today.
I haven't called that tower since.

Or, the tower is giving warning all aircraft in the area that there UAV active in the area and will stop giving that warning when you call that you are done.

Reactions: ianwood
Or, the tower is giving warning all aircraft in the area that there UAV active in the area and will stop giving that warning when you call that you are done.

+1 Exactly

When I'm flying the helicopter, a tower often asks me to "report clear". He no longer has responsibility for me when I'm out of their airspace, so by me reporting clear, it lessens his work load by not having to be looking for my radar signature.
Similar principle applied to his request to you....as the drone doesn't put out a discernible signature, he is asking you to let him know when you are done so he can cease providing traffic information to other pilots as doski pointed out.

Reactions: Shaba

Problem with that theory is....what if the sUAV operator doesn't call back?
It's a request....he isn't obligated to do so.

Last edited:
+1 Exactly

When I'm flying the helicopter, a tower often asks me to "report clear". He no longer has responsibility for me when I'm out of their airspace, so by me reporting clear, it lessens his work load by not having to be looking for my radar signature.
Similar principle applied to his request to you....as the drone doesn't put out a discernible signature, he is asking you to let him know when you are done so he can cease providing traffic information to other pilots as doski pointed out.

Exactly.
When I'm flying from their airport they always ask that I "report clear" or if not, I radio and advise when I'm clear of their 5 mile radius and "enroute."
Conversely about 12 miles out I radio the tower with exact location and my intentions and seek permission to enter their Class D, 5 mile radius airspace to final stop land, my prior departure airport and that I have the latest ATIS.

They then will usually ask me to report at a specific location so they can direct me further into their airspace, like my numbered sequence to land (#3 after the SkyVan),enter downwind and they will then call my base turn and final approach.

Work with the ATC guys and expect them to work with you. It really is all about our collective safety.

Courtesy and doing as requested. We are all trying to share the same airspace just hopefully not at the same place and same time.

Problem with that theory is....what if he doesn't call back?
It's a request....he isn't obligated to do so.

Aviation has a history of cooperation for the greater safety of everyone involved. Most often people act accordingly instead of only fulfilling the minimum required by law. The sooner we drone users abandon the "I don't have to because there are no laws" and start thinking about the greater safety and cooperation of shared airspace, the better off we will all be.

Yes, you cannot force the due diligence nor common sense ... unfortunately, but then there is the Darwin Award ... :)

I'm sorry but that is a poor answer. Especially to pull the "Darwin Award" card on sUAV operators in THIS particular instance.
There are going to be many times that you try to call a tower and they will not answer. They get busy with aircraft that have souls on board.
Maybe the tower in question here is not so busy, but many of us are near airports that have constant traffic and a heavy load.
Most towers will not have time to deal with numerous calls about sUAV activity.
They will simply expect you to use due diligence and common sense to follow the guidelines whether you get through to them or not.
Trust me, they are not hanging on the edge of their seats waiting for one of us to call.

There will also be times that an sUAV operator forgets to call back or is distracted and doesn't call back.
Those are not grounds for "Darwin awards". It's human nature and ATC has to work in those parameters.
You are NOT going to get sUAV operators to act as though they are in the ATC system.
Most do not know the system at all.

It's not about due diligence, it's about what happens in the real world.
Besides, the OP stated he was happy to oblige.

Aviation has a history of cooperation for the greater safety of everyone involved. Most often people act accordingly instead of only fulfilling the minimum required by law. The sooner we drone users abandon the "I don't have to because there are no laws" and start thinking about the greater safety and cooperation of shared airspace, the better off we will all be.

That has absolutely nothing to do with my point or what I said.
But thanks

That has absolutely nothing to do with my point or what I said.
But thanks

You're welcome. If you can't get the tower on the line, you're SOL. It means they're probably busy doing grown up stuff like assisting manned aircraft. Find some other way to get in touch with them or go fly somewhere else.

I'm sorry but that is a poor answer. Especially to pull the "Darwin Award" card on sUAV operators in THIS particular instance.
There are going to be many times that you try to call a tower and they will not answer. They get busy with aircraft that have souls on board.
Maybe the tower in question here is not so busy, but many of us are near airports that have constant traffic and a heavy load.
Most towers will not have time to deal with numerous calls about sUAV activity.
They will simply expect you to use due diligence and common sense to follow the guidelines whether you get through to them or not.
Trust me, they are not hanging on the edge of their seats waiting for one of us to call.

There will also be times that an sUAV operator forgets to call back or is distracted and doesn't call back.
Those are not grounds for "Darwin awards". It's human nature and ATC has to work in those parameters.
You are NOT going to get sUAV operators to act as though they are in the ATC system.
Most do not know the system at all.

It's not about due diligence, it's about what happens in the real world.
Besides, the OP stated he was happy to oblige.

Yep. It's all about ATC safety/workload.

I have been in the run up area and had the tower/ground ask me to hold my radio traffic.

On approach to an airport, I have been asked to remain outside controlled airspace. I could hear the traffic on the tower freq. in my headset and they had their hands full for several minutes with arrivals and departures.

I simply stayed away and high enough for them to see my squawk code and circled. Other times I've been 12 -15 miles out and they have told me I was number one for a straight in final.

They simply get too busy to talk on the radio or phone as they deal with individual traffic. Likewise I have had my hands full and ask them to standby.

We all need to be patient, share the airspace and be responsible.

Just a note..... If I don't call back to close a flight plan they send the cavalry. Then the cops.

Call back and advise them you're done. It will go a long way when you call back next time.

You're welcome. If you can't get the tower on the line, you're SOL. It means they're probably busy doing grown up stuff like assisting manned aircraft. Find some other way to get in touch with them or go fly somewhere else.

Again, point missed.
We're talking about a person who contacted the tower....and was asked to contact them when they are ready to leave the area.
You're turning this into a discussion of rogue sUAV operators.
I would say the OP is not such a person.

Last edited:
These guys in the towers are not out to 'get anyone.' They are people just like us except they have the responsibility of keeping everyone in the air safe. Work with them and most cases they will work with you. Like ianwood said, there is a long history of cooperation. This us vs. them attitude is just going to cause more unneeded adversity with UAS operators.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yep. It's all about ATC safety/workload.
I have been in the run up area and had the tower/ground ask me to hold my radio traffic.
On approach to an airport, I have been asked to remain outside controlled airspace. I could hear the traffic on the tower freq. in my headset and they had their hands full for several minutes with arrivals and departures.
I simply stayed away and high enough for them to see my squawk code and circled. Other times I've been 12 -15 miles out and they have told me I was number one for a straight in final.
They simply get too busy to talk on the radio or phone as they deal with individual traffic. Likewise I have had my hands full and ask them to standby.
We all need to be patient, share the airspace and be responsible.
Just a note..... If I don't call back to close a flight plan they send the cavalry. Then the cops.
Call back and advise them you're done. It will go a long way when you call back next time.

Good point.
They can get really busy even with manned traffic.
sUAVs are not going to get priority.
When it comes to ATC, I do actually have experience and know the system well :)

Do the best you can, fly responsibly.

If they got your message the first time, they'll likely get it the second time. Notify the tower before starting. Notify them when you're done.

Reactions: Richard W

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic