Calling all commercial drone pilots (US)

So John writes in the Forbes article:

While as a long-time safety advocate, I agree that integration of manned and unmanned aircraft requires a deliberate process, I believe that the FAA could safely allow the commercial use of small UAVs (for example, those under five pounds) by managing their operating procedures to avoid populated areas and areas where manned aircraft fly. I look forward to serving on the Advisory Board of this new organization.

Will it be the position of the DPA that acceptable commercial use of < 5lb RC vehicles should have "operating procedures to avoid populated areas"? Many users seek to make films featuring such urban areas as I have just done. I completed this project using what I consider to be entirely safe methods and procedures:

https://vimeo.com/101231747

If urban areas are verbotten, then this style of filming would not be possible. That's an entire use case that would be neglected.

In my opinion, the unique usefulness of drones makes it completely ridiculous to not permit operations in urban environments, as long as it can be done safely and responsibly. Otherwise, we might as well be relegated to flying in circles at a designated field.

petersachs said:
In my opinion, the unique usefulness of drones makes it completely ridiculous to not permit operations in urban environments, as long as it can be done safely and responsibly. Otherwise, we might as well be relegated to flying in circles at a designated field.

That reflects my sentiments perfectly.

petersachs said:

Unfortunately the sensible majority are dragged down by the senseless minority. This has been and will always be the case. We live in a world full of idiots and you can't rely on common sense to keep the public safe.

ianwood said:
So John writes in the Forbes article:

While as a long-time safety advocate, I agree that integration of manned and unmanned aircraft requires a deliberate process, I believe that the FAA could safely allow the commercial use of small UAVs (for example, those under five pounds) by managing their operating procedures to avoid populated areas and areas where manned aircraft fly. I look forward to serving on the Advisory Board of this new organization.

Will it be the position of the DPA that acceptable commercial use of < 5lb RC vehicles should have "operating procedures to avoid populated areas"? Many users seek to make films featuring such urban areas as I have just done. I completed this project using what I consider to be entirely safe methods and procedures:

https://vimeo.com/101231747

If urban areas are verbotten, then this style of filming would not be possible. That's an entire use case that would be neglected.

I saw that video the other day and thought it was fantastic. Clearly you are an intelligent person and because of your obvious knowledge and attention to detail I have no doubt that you operated entirely safely. Unfortunately laws aren't implemented because of people like you they are made to keep us safe from the many idiots out there. I'm afraid the writing is on the wall for using drones for non commercial projects in urban areas.

It doesn't help,that most people are ignorant when it comes to the optical abilities of a camera lens and fear that a drone carrying a gopro flying at 150' over their garden or from their window is capable of taking salacious images. For this reason whenever I see anyone watching me fly I always try to engage them in conversation and casually point out the lack of detail seen on the monitor just in case they are concerned. But to expect everyone to understand these things is asking the impossible.

There are still plenty of filming opportunities away from urban areas it's just a case of being creative. Here in the UK there are already tighter laws governing the use of drones in congested areas and I believe this to be a good thing as it gives the public a degree of reassurance.

It remains to be seen whether the CAA impose further restrictions but It wouldn't surprise me.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj