Call the Authorities

Reaction score
Canadians: Thought you might find this interesting !!

I am wanting to fly 2 P3Ps in Downtown Ottawa (Capital of Canada). I am wanting to fly within 1/2 km from our Parliament Buildings (Equivalent to Capital Hill in Washington).

I phoned the local police who were very co-operative and gave their OK but told to call RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) who are responsible for the protection of all federal buildings. Called them and they were even nicer than the Ottawa Police (if that was possible). They not only talked with me but we worked together to come up with an agreement of where we would and would not fly during a three hour period that we also agreed upon. Moral of Story: Call the local authorities and talk with them before flying if at all in question.

I did not expect the level of co-operation and help they provided and I can now go and fly fully comfortable that everything is OK and everyone knows what we are doing. I am bringing with me the names, times of the calls and the agreements reached with each of the agencies just in case.

Make the calls before you go, in my case it was well worth it. All agencies asked if they could have some of their officers come and just see what we are doing and meet us. HELL, why not?? Now I can't wait to go and enjoy my day.

Wow that is amazing. I don't want to sound negative, but I'd have a hard time believing that anyone in the U.S. would ever get that level of interest and cooperation if they wanted to fly near Capital Hill in DC.

I hope you'll post the video when you are done!

Wow that is amazing. I don't want to sound negative, but I'd have a hard time believing that anyone in the U.S. would ever get that level of interest and cooperation if they wanted to fly near Capital Hill in DC.

If I understand correctly, all of Washington DC is No fly !! They aren't even open to discussions, just no!! All this to say how luck we are here if we just co-operate with the authorities. I do hope others will do the same. We need to have a level of trust between the users and the officials, IMHO.

I almost never take videos but will try and remember today and I will post either photos or a video once home. Should be interesting and if we get shut down then so be it. It was fun to try

I got permission last year to fly at some locks on the Mississippi just north of St Louis. From inside the authorized only part of the Locks.
We had both the State Police and the Army Core of Engineers security personnel on hand for this shoot. They were very interested and were very disappointed when I decided not to fly my S800, because I got everything I needed from the control room and down on the piers. But they were all for it.
This had been planned for a few weeks so they had plenty of notice.
Bottom line even in the USA if you approach the proper agencies and have a reason for your shoot, the authorities can be very cooperative and friendly. You just need to be professional and polite, and they will be as well.
I ended up taking the security personnel out to lunch after the shoot.
There are times when it may be better to ask for forgiveness afterwards, but flying MRs it is better to ask for permission first.

Reactions: Wilfros and BigAl07
I got permission last summer to video the local fireworks right next to a hospital helicopter landing pad. I worked with the local emergency management personnel and told them exactly where I would be and what I had hoped to capture. I was directed to the actual location of the fireworks launch crew and given a launch area without interference.

The only way I will shoot a public venue is if I can get the permission of the local authorities, first.

This was my first video after buying my P3P.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I know here on the states usually you need it in writing because the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. I've had instances where 1 agency said ok, then another shows up and asks you to stop. All you can do is comply.

I know here on the states usually you need it in writing because the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. I've had instances where 1 agency said ok, then another shows up and asks you to stop. All you can do is comply.

Well after the numerous calls I made yesterday morning all went perfectly. The National Park Ranger for the federal lands we were on showed up to ensure all was OK but didn't stay around. Other than that no interruptions and I had a great feeling of security.

All in all a great day with my friend. I did take a video but it is so awful I would not want to post it on here after seeing with what others are doing. So here one a photo that is blown up so you can see the buildings I was worried about. When we arrived I was surprised at how close we really were to these sensitive buildings.

26_1.jpg

32.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso
Thanks for posting the pictures sir. It looks amazing in that area. What a great place to be able to fly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers