Calibration

Reaction score
I've had my drone since July. Almost 100 flights. I have flown in different states. I've done 1 compass calibration and that's it. I've seen people on here say to calibrate the compass, IMU, and gimbal once a week. What do you all do?

I do what's in the Phantom manual. I'm assuming the experts who wrote that know what they're talking about.

I dont usually calibrate mine unless im going an hour away from where inusually fly or if I see something wacky happening with the bird

That sums it up pretty well right there!

last cal for both my P2 was in July. Both are as good as day one.

haven't had the P3 long enough to do any but the initial setup calibration. I expect the same for it .

Aren't you supposed to calibrate the compass before every single flight???
No that's not necessary. Only check the sensors before each flight . The compass mod should be around 1500. Anything between 1475 - 1525 is good. Calibrating everytime doesn't make it any safer but you do run the risk of introducing a bad compass calibration everytime you do it depending on how much metal and other things are around that can throw off the calibration . Also after all firmware updates you should calibrate everything .

Wow people always told me the opposite. Where is this compass mod value? I'll check it. So basically if this value is good, I probably don't need to hit calibrate every time before flying.

No that's not necessary. Only check the sensors before each flight . The compass mod should be around 1500. Anything between 1475 - 1525 is good. Calibrating everytime doesn't make it any safer but you do run the risk of introducing a bad compass calibration everytime you do it depending on how much metal and other things are around that can throw off the calibration . Also after all firmware updates you should calibrate everything .

I think Ive done mine maybe 3 times since Ive got mine, I usually fly in the same spot so dont see a need to do it every time and havent had any problems yet, if it aint broke why fix it lol

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Wow people always told me the opposite. Where is this compass mod value? I'll check it. So basically if this value is good, I probably don't need to hit calibrate every time before flying.

Mc settings > sensors. MOD values around 1500 give or take -+100.

I look at the mod value before flight.
If i travel far, i google map the closest open wide open field that is near my fly zone.. This will give you the cleanest primed compass. Even if the values are slightly out of whack on the ground, they become perfect in the sky.

Have you ever noticed why the calibrations says the phantom needs to be 150cm or higher to do the dance? This so that you dont get any ground magnetic influence.

Aren't you supposed to calibrate the compass before every single flight??? ... Wow people always told me the opposite.
this is what i was told by the people at DJI.
Even in their overly-conservative manual, DJI didn't recommend that.
And Dirby ... if you ask DJI forum or phone people anything their answers are all over the place.
Unnecessary compass recalibration doesn't make your flying safer but it does introduce the risk of giving your Phantom a bad calibration.
Not recalibrating can be safer than calibrating every flight.
Read this thread to gain an understanding of what compass calibration is and when it's needed.
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer | DJI Phantom Forum

The manual says to calibrate the compass at every new flight location and that regular calibration is necessary for optimal performance. Pg. 44

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1