Calibration question

Reaction score
I'm sure I should probably know this, but figured I ask... So I haven't calibrated my P2 since August, I think, but haven't flown anywhere within 30 miles of my home anyway. Should I recalibrate just because, or should I not worry about it?

If it wanders a lot when you are hovering, yes and an also do an imu calibration. Otherwise I leave mine alone.

If it wanders a lot when you are hovering, yes and an also do an imu calibration. Otherwise I leave mine alone.

Funny thing is lately when I take off, it takes off level, but goes backwards about 5 feet as it start to climb, but then after about 5-6 feet up it goes straight up, then there are no issues whatsoever... hovers well, flies well, no issues, even with landing. Have an annoying slight tilt with my H4-3D, but not worried about that too much yet. It's getting colder, so I might wait on that for a while.

Just curious, if you land it after the initial take off that does the five foot backup, does it do the same thing on the second or any subsequent take offs?

Yep. Started when I put on landing gear extensions. Nothing fancy, just a 3d-printed piece that zip-ties on the bottom of the legs. They fit correctly, was centered on the legs... first time I took off with them on, my P2 didn't even get off the ground, it just tilted backwards and the rear 2 blades hit the ground. Turned off motors, tried again, same thing... turned off, then did a super fast takeoff and it worked. When I was done that day I IMMEDIATELY took off the extensions. When I take off now, it does not tilt backwards, it goes up, but it moves backwards about 5 feet or so. So if you were standing right behind it, it would probably hit you. It is perfectly level when it rises up though. Then when it's in the air, it's perfect. I haven't taken it out in a few weeks because of weather, and I'm concentrating on a quad build. Supposed to be low 60's here in Rhode Island this weekend (for December that's AWESOME!!!), so I'll probably do an IMU calibration anyway.

Yep. Started when I put on landing gear extensions. Nothing fancy, just a 3d-printed piece that zip-ties on the bottom of the legs. They fit correctly, was centered on the legs... first time I took off with them on, my P2 didn't even get off the ground, it just tilted backwards and the rear 2 blades hit the ground. Turned off motors, tried again, same thing... turned off, then did a super fast takeoff and it worked. When I was done that day I IMMEDIATELY took off the extensions. When I take off now, it does not tilt backwards, it goes up, but it moves backwards about 5 feet or so. So if you were standing right behind it, it would probably hit you. It is perfectly level when it rises up though. Then when it's in the air, it's perfect. I haven't taken it out in a few weeks because of weather, and I'm concentrating on a quad build. Supposed to be low 60's here in Rhode Island this weekend (for December that's AWESOME!!!), so I'll probably do an IMU calibration anyway.

It could be due to so many things but I suspect an imu cal will take care of it. Do it exactly like the DJI procedure calls for and hope that fixes it.
Same here, we are flying later today and plan to get more time in this weekend.

Been a year or so since I've done a calibration on my P2 I stay with in a 80 mile radius never have any problems .

I usually go months without recalibrating the compass.
I recently travelled 425 miles from home and couldn't find a good location for calibration so flew without recalibrating.
Everything was fine and I ended up doing quite a few offshore flights.
Later I went 1200 miles from home and thought I'd better recalibrate - but when I got home I forgot to recalibrate and my P3 is flying perfectly.

Might not be similar but I avoid GPS with my P1 when taking off. Too much over-correction otherwise, IMO. Use ATTI mode instead.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj