Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Calculating KP Index - How to?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cditty, Dec 1, 2014.

1. cditty

Hi all. I'm a techy type of guy and I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the KP Index. I can get the current K readings and know how to convert them with the A index, but how do I end up with the Kp index?

For example, the Kp index for today is supposed to be a 4. Here are the planetary K-indexes.
    2 2 2 1 2 2-1-1

According to the NOAA, the A index is 4.75. Ok. 4.75 isn't that far off from 4. But if I go back historically 2 weeks and use 11/16/2014's data.

4 4 4 3 4 4 3 3

I get a A index of 22.5, but the Kp index for that day was 3.

Even the examples at the NOAA don't say how Kp is calculated. Just the K and A.

Can anyone offer any insight?

2. Noël

Noël Guest

3. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Can't help with calculating but I'm still to see any effect on GPS or flying from any of that K index stuff.
    K up or down doesn't seem to make any real difference.

4. cditty

I did Noel. But that only tells how to get the A index. How do you go from a A index of 22.5 to a Kp value of 3 like in my example.

5. knuckles

6. cditty

Thanks for the link knuckles. Unfortunately, that doesn't tell how its calculated. It just says its a weighted avg.

7. CallMeAlan

To Meta4, saying you are yet to see any effect of K upon GPS: one time, before I knew anything about K-index, I couldn't get any satellites at all with my Phantom. Zero. Later I learned that the K for that day was around 7 or 8. I stick to 3 or lower nowadays, stay at home if it's 4 or higher, too much cash invested in my F550 to risk it!

8. Noël

Noël Guest

I've tried several calculations to get the A index with the given K indices.

As you noted. The lower the K indices, the closer the NOAA given calculated A index is correct!
    The higher the K indices, the more off the calculated A index is!

I have no clue how NOAA is calculating the A index in the Geomagnetic Data reports.

For my K index app it's not a problem as it is using the K indices, but it would be interesting to know how NOAA is calculating the A index

9. The Editor

Email them ???

10. Noël

Noël Guest

11. Noël

Noël Guest

Re-reading your question I'm not sure what you are after!
    The K-indices for day: 11/16/2014 were indeed: 4 4 4 3 4 4 3 3
    Adding this together gives an "a index" of 22.5 ((27+27+27+15+27+27+15+15)/8)
    Looking at day 11/16/2014 it shows that the "a index" was 22
    .5 off is caused because of the + and - K-indices that are not shown in the NOAA's reports.

So what are you asking for?
    The K-indices are provided by ground-based magnetometers (world wide in this case) with a scale from 0 to 9
    The a-index is a linear scale called the "equivalent three hourly range" (0,3,7,15,27,48,80,140,240,400), and calculated by adding the matching a-index to the K-indices and dividing it by 8.

12. cditty

Right. You are reading all that correctly.

On 11/16, the K indexes were very high (4 4 4 3 4 4 3 3). But the Kp index for that day was a 3. I don't see any correlation between the two. For yest and today, the Kp indexes were/are 4s, but the K indexes are nowhere near as high as 11/16. (2 2 2 1 2 2 2 4 & 3 3 3 2 3-1-1-1)

That's what has me so confused. How do we go from a high K index to a 1-9 number for the Kp index we all use for flying.