caching iPad maps?

Reaction score
In anticipation of soon getting my P1.5 and GS into the air I'm wondering how to go about caching maps for the iPad GS app?

I assume this has to be done using an internet connection but how can I ensure that I have all of the maps or satellite views that I might need once I get to a site (without internet or cellular coverage) where I intend to fly a waypoint mission?

Can I cache multiple sites or large areas at a suitable resolution, such as thousands of acres or an entire county?

I've travelled a distance of about 100 miles from the last internet connection and the map cached was accurately showing on the iPad.

I guess if you're in a pinch you could stop by Starbucks or McDonalds and use their free wifi.

Thanks... I'm wondering, however, about the limits of caching. I don't know how it works or if there might be a way to increase the cache capacity. For example, if I take a road trip and don't really know when and where I might stop to fly my Phantom, could I have previously cached the entire route? Is it simply a matter of viewing the route previously with the GS app, at an appropriate scale?

Any iPad geeks out there?

Diesel31 said:
I've travelled a distance of about 100 miles from the last internet connection and the map cached was accurately showing on the iPad.

I guess if you're in a pinch you could stop by Starbucks or McDonalds and use their free wifi.

GearLoose said:
Thanks... I'm wondering, however, about the limits of caching. I don't know how it works or if there might be a way to increase the cache capacity. For example, if I take a road trip and don't really know when and where I might stop to fly my Phantom, could I have previously cached the entire route? Is it simply a matter of viewing the route previously with the GS app, at an appropriate scale?

Diesel31 said:

That was my understanding when I first started using GS. For example, while I'm at home, I'll get a general idea of where I'm going to fly. I would then plot a 3 waypoint course with the intent of 'cacheing' the map. When I'd get to my destination, the map and my waypoints would display.

I then got the idea, why not just see if the map would show when I get to my destination. Sure enough, once I opened the app, my position would show. Therefore, I concluded it has a pretty large cache to incorporate the map. Now I'm not a tech guy, so there is probably a better explanation. However, for this HACK (me :D ), it works, and it works well!

I'm a big GS fan and fly primarily through waypoints. It instills a lot more confidence when going distances.

Feel free to hit me up if you need any help or pointers with GS. Not a pro, but logged more than 50 flights, so I feel pretty competent.

Reactions: huntjock
I appreciate your reply and will take you up on your offer of help -- it is good to hear, too, that flying waypoints gives you more confidence. I'm not a very skilled pilot (and have the crashes to prove it!) but I have the opportunity to do some very useful photo work for our local land trust. Lots of trees here in NW Washington with many opportunities to get in trouble, so I see the GS as a way to reduce risks while at the same time getting more accurate coverage of the areas we want to film.

I'd be interested to know how you use your ground end -- with a Futaba radio, monitor, ground station & BTU, and iPad, it seems like quite a handful of hardware.

Diesel31 said:
GearLoose said:

Diesel31 said:

That was my understanding when I first started using GS. For example, while I'm at home, I'll get a general idea of where I'm going to fly. I would then plot a 3 waypoint course with the intent of 'cacheing' the map. When I'd get to my destination, the map and my waypoints would display.

I then got the idea, why not just see if the map would show when I get to my destination. Sure enough, once I opened the app, my position would show. Therefore, I concluded it has a pretty large cache to incorporate the map. Now I'm not a tech guy, so there is probably a better explanation. However, for this HACK (me :D ), it works, and it works well!

I'm a big GS fan and fly primarily through waypoints. It instills a lot more confidence when going distances.

Feel free to hit me up if you need any help or pointers with GS. Not a pro, but logged more than 50 flights, so I feel pretty competent.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20