Buying a vision , questions.

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm ordering a vision , and need a little help.
Not sure what else to get with it. It comes with a extra battery , and I'm getting prop guards and a extra set of props. Figure the prop guards will help save the props.
Any idea what else I should get while I'm at it ? I figure 2 batteries will be ok at first.
It's not my first quad as I have a f450. Shame I can't use my lipo chargers with it. I realize it actually charges with 12 volts.

Mori55 said:
Not sure what else to get with it. It comes with a extra battery , and I'm getting prop guards and a extra set of props. Figure the prop guards will help save the props.
Any idea what else I should get while I'm at it ? I figure 2 batteries will be ok at first.
It's not my first quad as I have a f450. Shame I can't use my lipo chargers with it. I realize it actually charges with 12 volts.

Download the app with whatever phone you're using to make sure it will work!
I would say a case is going to be more useful for you than the Prop-Guards, as they do very little to protect the blades.
Otherwise, the extra battery is the only other thing I could recommend.

nintendrone64 said:
Mori55 said:

Download the app with whatever phone you're using to make sure it will work!
I would say a case is going to be more useful for you than the Prop-Guards, as they do very little to protect the blades.
Otherwise, the extra battery is the only other thing I could recommend.

+1

Wait till the new model is released... 2 axis gimbel and its only gonna be 1000.. Supposedly

kamkilla said:
Wait till the new model is released... 2 axis gimbel and its only gonna be 1000.. Supposedly
Where did you see this ? I looked all over and didn't see anything about this, or are screwing with me ?

kamkilla said:

A bit like the rumour mill said the Lightbridge would be sub $1000, eh? :roll:

To the OP - just keep the original motor screws when you fit the prop guards, and if you ever take the guards off put the original screws back in, not the longer ones that come with the guards. That way you won't kill your motors!

Can't think of anything else to get apart from 2 batteries, unless you want to pick up a cheap inverter to plug the charger into and charge up in the field... you've probably got a decent hex driver set already, but if not a good 2mm hex and a good quality 00 phillips to open the shell for maintenance/mods would be useful to have.

Pull_Up said:
kamkilla said:

A bit like the rumour mill said the Lightbridge would be sub $1000, eh? :roll:

To the OP - just keep the original motor screws when you fit the prop guards, and if you ever take the guards off put the original screws back in, not the longer ones that come with the guards. That way you won't kill your motors!

Can't think of anything else to get apart from 2 batteries, unless you want to pick up a cheap inverter to plug the charger into and charge up in the field... you've probably got a decent hex driver set already, but if not a good 2mm hex and a good quality 00 phillips to open the shell for maintenance/mods would be useful to have.
Thanks , I have a power inverter, reason I was going with the prop guards was, with my phantom 1 every now and then it would tip over.
I pretty much have every tool, been in RC for ever. These multi rotors have definitely revived my Rc life ! Only thing I heard is dji may come out with their on gimbal.

You also need very much patience! I have not been able to fly mine for over two month's because of problems.

I have only about a week flying and I bought it in late December 2013.

Mori55 I think it's highly likely - just look at the traffic on the various third party gimbal threads on here! What we don't know is if they'll bring out a Vision retro-fit gimbal, or bring out a new Vision version with incorporated gimbal that's a standalone product (and in either case what the timescale is). Without inside info who knows when the right time to buy is! :)

Yeah but the p1 was out for more than 3 months. 1200 bucks every 3 -4 months I'd be broke and without a wife.

Someone may have already mentioned it but:

Get a 32GB micro-SD card for your P2V camera. It comes with a (2GB? 4GB? I forget) card, but that will probably be too limited in capacity, especially if you run a couple of batteries back-to-back (over even just one) and take a lot of HD video and stills. It would suck to fill it up and not be able to capture any more video/photos. Class 10, 32GB micro-SD and you will be set.

Make sure your P2V mainboard, camera, iOS/Andriod app, and RC tx firmware is all updated and calibrated BEFORE you try your first flight. Read the manual. Pay attention to the color of the rear LEDs. Do the compass dance. Mine wouldn't fly out of the box without doing all of the above. But once I did it, I was good to go.

Two batteries=necessary. You will without a doubt find yourself running low on just one, and again that would suck if you are having a good day flying (arent they all?) and dont want it to end. Plus one can charge while one flies.

Extra set of props is a good idea. P2V Landing gear is not exactly lunar lander-style, and I've had a few whoa-whoa-whoa delayed shut-off landing tip-overs with prop strikes against the ground (all pilot error). Not sure about the guards...I don't have them so I can't really speak to their usefulness, other than the fact that I think they look a bit hokey (esthetics, personal preference). Case is good idea, too. Prop guards might muck with that.

If you already have a F450 you are way ahead, dude. Have fun!

I herd that rumor from a hobby shop owner... not sure if it's true but it sounds awesome

- Dont buy any of the props advertised on Ebay that supposedly reduce "jello" in the video. Those props are complete crap, not balanced and even if you get them balanced the P2V still wont fly any better than with the DJI props.

- Dont expect high quality images for stills. Even though DJI prominently displays, in bold letters, "INTEGRATED
HIGH END CAMERA" its far from high end. The images are noisy and grainy at best. Shooting in RAW mode and developing in Lightroom or Photoshop can improve the quality and sharpness but an iphone and cheap point and shoot cameras produce clearer images at 100% view than the Vision camera does.

- Video is strictly for recreational use only. The P2V has minimal stabilization and even post processing with image stabilization software does not make for a pretty sight. Unless you have absolutely perfect conditions, ie: ZERO wind and complete smooth control (which is almost never), the end result is a shaky unstable video recording that is only for grins and giggles. Fun yes, good looking...NO!

Its a perfect starter for anyone wanting to learn to fly these copters and I like the platform. Anything beyond fun toy type use and basic low amateur photos/video's is beyond its capability and that needs to be understood when you buy.

A case can be good depending on your needs.
Some people don't need one. I have the trade craft. I hear the go professional is good too. There is one on bh photo and amazon that looks nice as we'll for a bit more than the two I just mentioned. For about double those in price there is one where you can leave the prop guards on full time and still fit the phantom into the case.

Then again some users out there just have a rubber made tub, and I would too if I could get away with it.
I take mine in the car a lot so a case is not optional.

One more thing. The first time you take off find a nice open area and just go for it. Don't stay close to the ground. Get up about 15-30 feet and get the hang of flying while your away from the ground or trees or anything.
Grass is better than hard ground for both take off and landing.
If you are landing in fail safe mode, where the phantom lands itself, it will bounce a lot on hard ground and land very well on grass.

Make sure you properly calibrate the compass before your first flight. This is easy to do and there are videos online. The series by Colin Guin is good to watch.

I echo the comments made by MrDRC about the camera. You say you have been into RC for years so I assume you have researched your purchase carefully but if I knew then what I know now re the camera I would have got a P2 and gimbal + go pro. This will give slightly better images, a camera you could conceivably use for other things and a platform more suitable for tinkering. If in the future you decide you want even better imaging you can get a Sony rx100 and the drone expert kit.

Have to say though that there are many on here that love their P2V - it just depends how importantly you rate image quality.

I really like the idea of using my iPhone or tablet , it's simple. And I do you a 450 with a möbius. I didn't like my gopro silver , it was to buggy for me.
Now on RC groups I'm hearing rumors of a vision+ . Supposed to have a dji 2 or 3 axis gimbal. Now my delema is do get the vision now or wait ? Is the vision going to be just the same except for the gimbal? Or is the whole vision changed. Would this be something existing owners could upgrade to? A lot of decisions to make.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj