Busting the 500m 1600' barrier

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to fly above the 500m 1600' limit on my p4 pro +.

Thanks in advance.
Paul Dingman

Hmmm. It is possible for the drone, just not possible with current software? Anyone out there modifying DJI software for the phantom4 pro?

Just curious, is it written in pure machine code or a higher level language like Linux or Java or something.? Anybody know which processor is used? I never really thought about hacking one of these, but we do everything else from our fuel injection to phones to computers and TV boxes.. DJI makes it tough though, as you would be shooting at a moving target. About the time you would back engineer the code, a new model comes out and all that work would be for a now discontinued product. By comparison, I was looking at the Go code and it is a little bitty thing, around a hundred and sixty meg.

Just curious, is it written in pure machine code or a higher level language like Linux or Java or something.? Anybody know which processor is used? I never really thought about hacking one of these, but we do everything else from our fuel injection to phones to computers and TV boxes.. DJI makes it tough though, as you would be shooting at a moving target. About the time you would back engineer the code, a new model comes out and all that work would be for a now discontinued product. By comparison, I was looking at the Go code and it is a little bitty thing, around a hundred and sixty meg.

Not that I'm interested in going above the max limit set, but it is would be nice to know that it can go beyond it if necessary. Please keep us informed on what else you discover.

It's not possible. I too wish 2500' was the limit. I like climbing mountains.
The limit is 500M AGL, it doesn't matter how high you are. If you climb a mountain and are at 10,000 feet, the P4P maximum altitude will be 500M above that. The only absolute (aerodynamic) limit is 16,000' MSL.

Reactions: Mier
The FAA can't insist on a 400' limitation as that is just a widely accepted recommendation, not a law. But of course DJI can install any limit they like, as with the 500M maximum altitude.

It would be nice if no restrictions were necessary and such things could be left to the good judgment of the operator, but unfortunately the number of jackasses on YouTube demonstrate that is impossible.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
The limit is 500M AGL, it doesn't matter how high you are. If you climb a mountain and are at 10,000 feet, the P4P maximum altitude will be 500M above that. The only absolute (aerodynamic) limit is 16,000' MSL.
Of course, we're talking AGL here. I meant that I like to climb mountains (fly to the top) with my P4, staying within 400'AGL. Most recent I flew the Flatirons at Boulder, Colorado, the top of the rock was 1600' above my launch point, outside of the preserve a mile away. I've also taken my P4 and flown above 13,000' MSL at Loveland Pass Colorado, flying up an adjacent mountain to the East. It's amazing how well she flies that high in the thin air. The new 5840mah battery helps with these flights, getting an extra two minutes of flight time.

Last edited:
Hey John sounds like you live in an awesome place!! Do you have any video posted of those flights?
I actually don't live in Colorado, but I enjoy traveling there on vacation and business. The end of this video below is the Loveland pass flight, 13k+'. I'll post the latest Flatirons video in a week or so, after I return from Hawaii. But there is an old Flatirons video in this YT channel from October '16.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: jpk1018
Mr. Locke, I was checking out some of your other videos on YouTube, and enjoying your work. I was watching the Anaheim Hills flight and noticed someone else's video that looked exactly like yours, including the music. In fact, it was identical. I'm not a Youtuber yet, so I don't know what is proper in terms of giving credit for original work, but just thought I'd mention it. Apologies in advance if I'm missing something obvious, like a pseudo-name. Here's the link:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
The FAA can't insist on a 400' limitation as that is just a widely accepted recommendation, not a law. But of course DJI can install any limit they like, as with the 500M maximum altitude.

It would be nice if no restrictions were necessary and such things could be left to the good judgment of the operator, but unfortunately the number of jackasses on YouTube demonstrate that is impossible.
Surely they can make it law no?

I was watching the Anaheim Hills flight and noticed someone else's video that looked exactly like yours, including the music. In fact, it was identical. I'm not a Youtuber yet, so I don't know what is proper in terms of giving credit for original work, but just thought I'd mention it.

You found my other channel. Both are me. I typically put videos relevant to this forum on my John Locke YT channel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers