Busted!

Reaction score
Just wondering if any Aussies have been busted using a drone where they shouldn't be, or anyone for that matter, obviously there is various rules for every part of the world. Just who is the drone police?

Just wondering if any Aussies have been busted using a drone where they shouldn't be, or anyone for that matter, obviously there is various rules for every part of the world. Just who is the drone police?
I have been told by a council ranger I couldn't fly over council property (accused me of flying over people on the beach). Have been questioned by general public about legality and issues in certain locations. Stay out if NFZ and try not to get undue attention and all will be good.

Very Small RPAs (under 2 kg) – Regulations effective 29th September 2016

The Federal Government has recently passed legislation which will allow a person to operate a very small RPA (that is, one weighing less than 2 kg) without certification, if it is being operated in standard RPA operating conditions. This will be known as an excluded aircraft.

Standard RPA operating conditions means that the RPA must be operated:

within visual line of sight
below 400 ft AGL
during the day
more than 30 m away from anyone who is not directly associated with the operation (people being filmed are not considered to be directly associated with the RPA’s operation)
I'm safe although who's doing the judging on 400 feet? I'm sure if the authority's turned up you'd be hitting the stick down pretty quick.

Reactions: Sparky1963
Very Small RPAs (under 2 kg) – Regulations effective 29th September 2016

The Federal Government has recently passed legislation which will allow a person to operate a very small RPA (that is, one weighing less than 2 kg) without certification, if it is being operated in standard RPA operating conditions. This will be known as an excluded aircraft.

Standard RPA operating conditions means that the RPA must be operated:

within visual line of sight
below 400 ft AGL
during the day
more than 30 m away from anyone who is not directly associated with the operation (people being filmed are not considered to be directly associated with the RPA’s operation)
I'm safe although who's doing the judging on 400 feet? I'm sure if the authority's turned up you'd be hitting the stick down pretty quick.

I have my max set at 120m (400 ft)

Reactions: Vzr1
That's boring though everyone wants to fly out of sight.....don't they? Lol

Whilst I have read up on the latest updates from CASA, my only concern are the fools out there having ten beers and impressing their friends with their newly acquired drones and coming unstuck. A few of them in Perth at the moment making it difficult for the rest of us trying to do the right thing and not attract attention. Down my way I am probably the only one within 100 klms with a drone and I mostly draw the curious types who I try and be patient with. Not usually an issue but they seem to swarm when I am flying out over the ocean and flying back over the cliffs and I have no idea where they come from as I usually pick remote areas to fly. I spoke with the local council regarding any issues with flying my drone and they suggest complying with the conditions lifted straight from the CASA website but are more curious as to what a P4 looks like.

Having said that a few of the locals in the little town where I live have asked me to what extent can I make out detail of the forests that I live in and fly over. Took me a bit to realize they were worried that I may bear witness and film some of the 'vegetation' that didn't quite fit with the jarrah and marri trees......................

No but this is where I live and fly - nothing to run into or fall on
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Similar to the places I fly except i have limestone cliffs along the coast and I share it with snakes and bugs. I'll post up some footage when I get home, no need to register with CASA at the moment due to flying as a pastime but that could change if the idiots persist. Plan on flying to an island just off the coast after I finish the mods to my P4.

Similar to the places I fly except i have limestone cliffs along the coast and I share it with snakes and bugs. I'll post up some footage when I get home, no need to register with CASA at the moment due to flying as a pastime but that could change if the idiots persist. Plan on flying to an island just off the coast after I finish the mods to my P4.

What island, Indonesia? :)

I've got snakes and crocs

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic