Busted in NZ

"CAA spokesman Mike Richards said the authority was concerned about the flights because the operator may have committed an offence by flying the aircraft within Hamilton Airport's control zone."

I would wanna see their proof of this!

CosmicFTW said:
"CAA spokesman Mike Richards said the authority was concerned about the flights because the operator may have committed an offence by flying the aircraft within Hamilton Airport's control zone."

I would wanna see their proof of this!
Relatively easy to establish (if not "prove") since the control zone goes all the way to the ground and is several miles across. Just identify landmarks in the video.

SlackerATX said:
GMANNZ said:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/9795311/CAA-clips-Hamilton-drone-pilots-wings

Unsure if anyone had seen ..... turns out the guys was "narked" on by a rival photo business.

remember stick to the rules and safety safety safety team !!! :cool: ....... and if ya gonna have fun in the park at night .... dont post it online for all the police and your jealous business rivals to see.

What law did he break?

If the NZ law is similar to the UK Air Navigation Order (and from their description of not being allowed over or within 150m of a congested area, which we have too, it could well be) then it will have been the night flying they could definitely get him for. It is illegal in the UK to fly an unmanned aerial vehicle at night, whether lit up like a Xmas tree or not. Videos on YouTube are difficult to use for evidence of zone infringements, etc, but it's usually pretty easy to see if it was night or day! (Oh and for UK aviation law purposes, officially "night" starts 30 minutes after sunset and ends 30 minutes before sunrise so I suppose you could have a bit of wriggle room if it wasn't totally dark)

Oh and if it was a rival business who were acting within the law to conduct their commercial operations who put the CAA onto him for breaking it then I can sort of understand why they might do that, to be honest... Although if he wasn't doing a commercial shoot then it is pretty petty.

I've just taken a video in my back garden of the new flytron strobe lights installed, I was going to post on youtube so happy I read this first, oh well its a shame as they look awesome.
Its amazing what lengths they'll go to gather evidence, it wont just be youtube videos I'm also thinking the flytrex forum will help in prosecutions as well :eek:

NEILS said:
I've just taken a video in my back garden of the new flytron strobe lights installed, I was going to post on youtube so happy I read this first, oh well its a shame as they look awesome.
Its amazing what lengths they'll go to gather evidence, it wont just be youtube videos I'm also thinking the flytrex forum will help in prosecutions as well :eek:

yepI feel the same ..... wont stop me flying at night at all ..... just wont be posting any clips for **** retentive people to tell the police about ..... :shock: from what I have seen only reason he got hassled was from a "holier than thou" competitor narking on him ...... myself I would quietly wait, watch and at the appropriate time 5.8 signal wifi hack the competitors drone and send it down in flames as payback regardless of the laws/regs allegedly broken .... just hate rat narks, I agree sort of with Pull_up though, ... commercial operations are one thing, but having fun showing your skills is hardly something to be giving someone a police record for ..... even weirder here in Wellington ... Apparently the entire city is a closed flight zone !! , the main airport is in middle of city, BUT as such, it has to close overnight to stop the aircraft noise in city, ...... so to me if theres no civil flying in city at night ?? .... whats the problem with flying my Quadcopter in the dark given its lit up like a Las Vegas strip mall ???? ... I CANT hit any airliners as is NONE flying at night. ..... to me the worlds gone batsh*t crazy and its just getting worse :twisted:

Poor guy. On the airport rule; if I'm ever in doubt I fly below the tree line. If an A-380 is going to come into my flight path it's already in for a rough landing at the very least.

Does anyone know if this counts for anything with rules like this?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1