Burnt ESC's replaced but speed doesn't increase

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a newbie. I just bought two used Phantoms. One is a phantom 2 vision plus which fly's great. The other is a Phantom 2 which had two motors which wouldn't spin. I found it had two burnt esc cards which I bought and soldered on. All motors run, I did calibrations with the software and gps tuning but I can not get it to fly off the ground. when I raise the throttle like I do with the other it just doesn't seem to get up to speed, when I throttle in a different direction the speed increases but it then tumbles all over. Any Idea's or help guys?

Re: help! replaced 2 esc's from used ph 2, now desn't fly???

ElecCom said:
Hi guys, I'm a newbie. I just bought two used Phantoms. One is a phantom 2 vision plus which fly's great. The other is a Phantom 2 which had two motors which wouldn't spin. I found it had two burnt esc cards which I bought and soldered on. All motors run, I did calibrations with the software and gps tuning but I can not get it to fly off the ground. when I raise the throttle like I do with the other it just doesn't seem to get up to speed, when I throttle in a different direction the speed increases but it then tumbles all over. Any Idea's or help guys?

I assume you know there are motors that run CW(clockwise) and CCW(counter clockwise)
Also there are difference ESCs for each variant as well.
The correct motors need to be soldered onto the correct ESCS in the correct order to work the same as before.

Re: help! replaced 2 esc's from used ph 2, now desn't fly???

Thank you smallman28,
Yes I did not touch the motors, I bought the ESC's and from what I understood for the phantom 2 and above they are standard, not like the phantom 1 which needed red or green. I soldered the wires back the way they were (Yellow, red, black or Red, yellow, black). I just checked the rotation earlier and the blades are going in the right direction. I'm thinking what controls the ESC's or one or more motors? Is there a way to check. Again the speed seems off?

Are the ESC's different for a phantom 2, I know they are for a ph 1 (red/green) if so what are the part numbers?
My phantom 2 doesn't get up to speed normally after the replacement, when I turn the TX knobs in a different direction the unit just flips, all motors seem to idle fine and go in the correct direction?

The Phantom 2 ESCs are all the same, WM 301 BLDC V2

Swap one of the 'slow' motors with one of the good ones and see if the problem stays, or goes with it. If the problem goes you'll know the motors are the issue, bad bearings or bad motors, if it stays you'll know it's the FC or Transmitter related, as the ESCs are new and you can 99% count them out, though I wouldn't totally before swapping them around as well for more testing.

I swapped what motor I thought was slow but the unit still just flips over when I try to fly. Next I will try all new motors and see what happens.

I found I had the mode one on the assist programed instead of mode 2 so the control sticks were back wards. I corrected this but it still flips, waiting on new motors.

I would think DJI would make the software so when you plug the unit in you could turn it on so it tells you if the motor speeds are up to par?

All that would do is cause all manner of issues as people would be firing up the motors inside with the props on and then blaming DJI for their ignorance.

if (Quad == inside)
{props = off}

Before doing anything else, do an Advanced Calibration on that thing, and make sure it's sitting someplace perfectly level. It's possible that's jacked up or it was calibrated on a slight angle and that's throwing it off.

Stop trying to fly it to see if it's fixed or not also, that will just cause you more issues having it flip itself over again and again as you could burn up your ESCs or damage something else. Take the props off and stick some masking tape on there to test it, if the motors are spinning at that much of a difference you'll be able to tell without trying to get the thing into the air.

If your ESC and motor is new, or at least known to be good, and it's been calibrated and everything, then you'd need a scope to even try and figure out what else might be going on there. The FC 'tells' the ESC how fast to go, so if a new ESC or know good one doesn't work, then it's the motor or the FC with the issue, or you possibly damaged the ESC while soldering it in place.

With proper instructions people would know to take the props off. I did do the advance calibration sitting level with props off no-go, tape is a good idea but like I said it idles fine. When it does flip I turn it off immediately. I know no other way but trial and error. DJI's only response when you ask any question is to send it in so you get an outrageous charge, its bad enough that it is made to break easy like the ribbon on the gimbal. I'm still waiting to replace all 4 motors.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub