Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Burned out Boscam TS352 FPV Transmitter

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by damoncooper, Apr 23, 2014.

1. damoncooper

Frak. I turned on the P2 without the Tx antenna attached and burned out my TS352.

Anybody know if there's a way to jury rig this thing to revive it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. damoncooper

Anybody have this happen to them?

3. poostik

Happened to my buddy. Had to replace it.

4. ScottH

Never, ever run a transmitter without a load (antenna). I knew that and still cooked mine when I forgot to attach it when updating software.

5. damoncooper

My bad. Waiting on delivery from Hong Kong in the Caribbean on vacation. Chances of it arriving before vacation runs out: 50%. Frak.

6. GhostMaster

Get the TS353 400mw, its lighter, but remind to never turn it without the Antenna...

Boscam TS353 400mw: http://j.mp/1gJ6t7s

7. damoncooper

8. Almmohd

I did this just last week with an avl58. I forgot to put the antenna in and started up the p2 to check the compass values. Some time after doing this I realized what I'd done I was really freaked out. When I checked it out nothing seemed to be wrong with the transmitter, I was surprised... But then again the avl58 has a fan on it maybe that saved it.

9. damoncooper

The TS-352 has a fan on it as well. By the time I checked however, the unit was scorching hot and the fan was dead. Just a little red power light remaining, reminding me of my transgression. :)

10. Almmohd

Ooh, maybe you should get the AVL58 then, I don't know why it survived but it did. I do have a boscam ts832 I've bought and just have it sitting doing nothing (I was gonna offer to sell you it, I'm in the Caribbean but I saw you had ordered a replacement already). I was planning to switch the AVL58 out, sure glad I didn't have that one installed when I left the antenna out.

I am afraid I will repeat this mistake again. Maybe we should install a switch on the transmitter or bullet connectors so we can switch out components at will.

11. damoncooper

Thx Almmohd. Definitely a checklist item going forward!!

12. Almmohd

Grr dang it, I did it again. Video was breaking up at about 200m when I brought the phantom back there was no antenna. Thought it had fallen off only to realise I hadn't put it on in the first place :(

13. WessexWyvern

I thought I had a fool proof way of not forgetting to put an antenna on my transmitter before flight - indeed it actually worked like a charm - to a point. However for some reason up until a few weeks ago it never cross my mind that I also need to put one on when I do firmware updates, calibrations and generally mess around with settings in the Naza assistant. As a result I have probably had my transmitter turned on for at least an hour, possibly 2 hrs in total and amazingly it still works fine right the way out to 950m with a cheap clover leaf antenna. So if you're like me and are likely to do something stupid with your transmitter I'd recommend using a 5.8 ghz Immersion RC 500 mw, it would appear they are bullet (and idiot) proof. :mrgreen:

14. Haze

immersion 600mw is great, i have forgot a few times to put the antennas on it and turned on, it has never burned out, and i had it off for an entire update once, like 20 min (prob have done it like 4 times) i kept forgetting. But it still works great. I dont recommend doing that lol but i find the immersion doesn't get as hot as the others as fast maybe that helped?

15. damoncooper

I downed my first P2 and when I replaced it I put the Tx to the other side so the antenna went out diagonally opposite the compass. Then I cut out a bit of foam in my case near the leg and I never have to take it off. Problem solved!

Pics below.

Attached Files:

16. WessexWyvern

Far too logical!!! :D