Bugs (Insects)

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a bug strike with a prop? I was out for my first flight after firmware upgrade and notice some bug guts on one prop. I wiped it with a wet paper towel and there was not damage. Anyone else ever had this happen? Anything I should be worried about?

Lots of bugs depending on location and season.

As long as there is no physical damage from the strikes just keep them clean and inspect frequently.

I have had no issues other than clean-up.

Bugs are no problem. Birds... now, that's a different story.

As mentioned, in certain conditions MR’s can accumulate quite a few bug strikes.

Always wash ‘em off while they’re still moist. I use alcohol.

Has anyone ever had a bug strike with a prop? I was out for my first flight after firmware upgrade and notice some bug guts on one prop. I wiped it with a wet paper towel and there was not damage. Anyone else ever had this happen? Anything I should be worried about?

Just be careful not to fly into any rhinoceros beetles as they'll make mess out of your phantom could even brake a prop if you hit the horn.

Reactions: IflyinWY
The nastiest is hitting a "full" mosquito. I had a blood-splattered prop on my third flight... At a church picnic.

I've hit at least one June Bug. Found its carcass in the skids. June Bugs are pretty well armored flying beetles. No damage to the props. I've had dragon flies swarm my Phantom a couple of times. They make for one hell of a clean up.

Reactions: Christy
Had a hell of a time out testing the latest build of Autoflight Logics beta due to a swarm. The beta was pefect and I got some great video but when I stopped at the end to take a panorma I could not get a clean shot due to the attacking swarm. Looks like I will need a gentle air duster and a damp cloth to clean this mess up.

IMG_2732.JPG

Reactions: JTDHH and Christy
Lately I've had to share the airspace with kinda big butterflies. I think they are attracted by the LED blinky lights, cause they always come up from below the Phantom. They get tossed around by the downwash of the props, but most get through and get a surprise when they bump into a prop. No damage, but it's a mess.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

flew yesterday and the gnats were all over ME, I was constantly stopping and hovering while swatting, probably looked like I had a neurological problem.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Had a hell of a time out testing the latest build of Autoflight Logics beta due to a swarm. The beta was pefect and I got some great video but when I stopped at the end to take a panorma I could not get a clean shot due to the attacking swarm. Looks like I will need a gentle air duster and a damp cloth to clean this mess up.

View attachment 26748
Hope you lens doesn't look the same. What a mess!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4