Brutal beginning

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry if you've "heard this all before", but, this Phantom 3 Advanced is ...brutal to get going with. I'd love some guidance, maybe there's a YouTube that can run middle ground to the User Manual, the DJI Go app, the remote and the drone itself. A couple of starting notes:

• I'm a 51 year old IT professional who grew up on technology. I can setup complex A/V systems, computers, mobile devices, car audio/bluetooth systems, etc. ...and this drone/remote/app is kicking myass! Haven't felt this stupid in I dont know how long.
  • Just got my drone yesterday from DJI and ...no User Manual was sent. I'm using the online version, saved PDF to my laptop, but, this is a huge PITA when trying to go outside and start Calibrating/using my new toy.
  • I've watched about 10 videos from DJI, like what "Follow Me" is all about, but, these are somewhat advanced features. I'm not seeing anything about ...Getting Started.
  • After fulling charging the drone battery, the remote, getting the DJI Go app setup, logging in, etc. I went through - I thought - successfully "connecting" the remote to the drone. Now going outside to start the Calibration process, and I immediately get a "RC Connection Lost" message in the top left of app. (After reading a number of posts on line, most people state that they get this after doing a firmware upgrade, which I was prompted to do and did. I was told this was successful).:: UPDATE: I just restarted the remote/app/drone and watched the app show "RC Warming Up" for about 3 minutes and then went back to "RC Connection Lost", but, again, the Remote status light has constant green.
  • A bit of a side note here, but, when I followed the instructions to "Calibrate" the drone, and brought that up in the Go app, it said: "Calibrate Compass? Press start to begin compass calibration". Where the &^%#*^ is the "start" option/button???? I hit the "Okay" button and nothing happens.
  • After successfully "linking" the remote to the drone, and having a constant Green indicator on the remote, I see the drone "link status indicator" is flashing green and red. I can't find anything in the manual that tells me what this means.

I feel like drop-kicking this frigging thing into the woods, but, that would be a stupid waste of about $750 as well as all my excitement and hopes of taking videos around my property. This thing seems VERY difficult to use and I can't even get started.

If anyone has gone through this frustration and has a useful suggestion, (yes, I know I can go play in traffic or go eff myself), but, I'm hoping this is not uncommon and there is a ...safe haven of information that can get me to a better place. I am not looking to utilize complex operating scenarios, shoot a full length feature film, or program flight operations that only an expert could tackle. I would like to turn it on, have it hover & fly around my yard, maybe video a bird flying around or whatever, and then look at the video on my computer. I feel like I'm about a 1000 miles away from that. Please help - and sorry for any feeble tone to my post here. Just can't believe it's this difficult.

Thanks,

Jay

Last edited:
Reactions: Reed L
This video should help you get started:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You can find a boatload of other useful tips at PhantomHelp.com.

Reactions: Falcon900
After successfully "linking" the remote to the drone, and having a constant Green indicator on the remote, I see the drone "link status indicator" is flashing green and red. I can't find anything in the manual that tells me what this means.

Is the "link status indicator" you refer to on the gimbal of the Aircraft? If so, did you remove the "bin" file from the Aircraft SD card after the firmware update? If not, the aircraft will continue to attempt to update with the bin file on the card.

The BIN file can be deleted from the memory card by deleting just that file or formatting your memory card. If it's really still there, it's not going to hurt anything by keeping it there.

Reactions: jpilk99
Hello Jay,
I recently bought a USED P3P ( could not pass up the deal ), it was bird only ( bird with camera/gimbal ) and a battery. No Tx, and No charger. So I found the charger at Best Buy, and a gl300a remote on eBay. I was so excited, to test her out. But unfortunately ran into one issue after another. Was a week and a half later, I finally got to go fly.

First,
My device was a iPad 3 , which for some reason would not work with go app. So had to go buy an iPad Air 2, problem solved.

Next.
Same as you green light on Tx, but not linked to bird?
My dial wheel on remote would move camera, but none of the sticks worked? ( move left YAW STICK side to side, if camera does not Yaw, it is not linked, or if CSC does not start motors, it is not linked ( props OFF of coarse. )

PROBLEM:
Firmware, conflict. ( my bird was 1.8, my Tx was 7.21 )

SOLUTION:
I rolled my AC ( bird ) firmware back 1 version, and Tx up one version, and Tx finally linked, and worked. ( you may have to play a bit with them as I had to do to find the right combo? )

In your app, with it open, can you post what app version you are using, also what firmware your Tx is on, as well as your craft's firmware version.?

If you upgraded your bird but not your Tx, this may be your whole issue. If bird and Tx are not TRUELY linked, the app will not work right. I.e.: cannot calibrate compass ( and this is most likely the most important part. ), please let us know

And please don't get frustrated, we will get you there, they can be a pain, but when they fly, it's all worth it. hope this helps get you back on track.

J Dot
:cool:

Jay,

I am a 58 year old guy with a similar background and went through the same frustration a few years ago when I decided to go down this road. Fortunately, I had read all of the stuff on these forum pages before my P2 was delivered so I was somewhat prepared. I decided early on to take my time, learn all I could, ask a lot of questions and get very comfortable before even opening the box. I think I had the bird in hand for a good week to 10 days before I even attempted to put it in the air. I was able to do everything on my dining room table (with props off, of course!) before I took the bird up. There is a great deal to learn if you don't want to be one of the casualties around here. I am happy to say, I now have a fleet of drones, a P2, 2 P3Pros, a 3dr Solo, 2 Race drones, a Tiny Whoop and many other toy drones. I fell in love with this stuff but part of the reason why is because I like to tinker. I am a true hobbyist and I'm not looking to do anything professional. Just wanted something to do in my retirement.

You will find all of the info you need, right here on these pages. The main purpose of this first response was to let you know that your background will very much come into play but only after you start to get familiar with these systems. Take a breath and take your time. So many come here in frustration because they just want to throw the thing in the air. They usually aren't here very long. I'll check back in on this thread every now and again and try to help where I think I can. There are many others here with a great deal more knowledge and expertise than me and they will be very willing to help if they know you're doing your homework and you are being respectful. Good luck and relax!

Jerry

After successfully "linking" the remote to the drone, and having a constant Green indicator on the remote, I see the drone "link status indicator" is flashing green and red. I can't find anything in the manual that tells me what this means.

Is the "link status indicator" you refer to on the gimbal of the Aircraft? If so, did you remove the "bin" file from the Aircraft SD card after the firmware update? If not, the aircraft will continue to attempt to update with the bin file on the card.

Thanks Fly Dawg. The "Link status indicator" is very close to the gimbal, but, I would say it's on the Aircraft. I'm looking at the right side of the drone, just beneath where the model #, serial # etc. is printed. Immediately to the right of what DJI calls the "link status indicator" is the "link button".

If you can tell me how to delete the .bin file, I'd be grateful. I searched and cannot find how to do it. I connected the drone to my laptop and searched the DCIM and MISC folders and there is no .bin file.

Thank you.

The BIN file can be deleted from the memory card by deleting just that file or formatting your memory card. If it's really still there, it's not going to hurt anything by keeping it there.
How do I delete the .bin file?

How do I delete the .bin file?
One way is to put the SD card in your computer and delete the file or format the card. That being said, leaving the .bin file on the SD card is a personal choice that should make no difference in your situation.

It's harder to diagnose when someone alters the FW before knowing what "normal" looks like and before checking out the set up for functionality. It would be very helpful to know which versions you currently have on your AC, on your RC, and your app. Also, which mobile device you are using. I ask because an encryption change makes it possible to have different encryption versions on the RC and AC if you don't know to watch for that possibility. I'd like to start off by knowing that your AC/RC are at least on the same encryption level as they would have been when you took them out of the box.

[AC FW 1.8 and RC FW 1.6 were released together with an encryption change. If you have one, you must have the other (or later) or your AC and RC]

Also, here is my list of tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners. It may not all make sense to you now, so if you are interested you can read it a few times now and also a few times after you've flown once or twice.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and Jtrjr
One way is to put the SD card in your computer and delete the file or format the card. That being said, leaving the .bin file on the SD card is a personal choice that should make no difference in your situation.

It's harder to diagnose when someone alters the FW before knowing what "normal" looks like and before checking out the set up for functionality. It would be very helpful to know which versions you currently have on your AC, on your RC, and your app. Also, which mobile device you are using. I ask because an encryption change makes it possible to have different encryption versions on the RC and AC if you don't know to watch for that possibility. I'd like to start off by knowing that your AC/RC are at least on the same encryption level as they would have been when you took them out of the box.

[AC FW 1.8 and RC FW 1.6 were released together with an encryption change. If you have one, you must have the other (or later) or your AC and RC]

Also, here is my list of tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners. It may not all make sense to you now, so if you are interested you can read it a few times now and also a few times after you've flown once or twice.

Thanks Oso. I must be a complete moron, but, ...How do I put this tiny little SD card "in my computer and delete the file"? Are you saying I need to go out and buy a piece of hardware to do such? Again, I may be missing something.

Interesting too that both you and another say it's okay to leave the .bin file there, another person says specifically that leaving it there will cause the "RC Connection Lost" error. Grrrrrr :)

App Version is 3.1.0
Remote Controller version is 1.8.0
AC? Aircraft?? I don't know - how do I find out.
I have an iPhone 6S Plus running 10.1.1

Hmm, while checking versions, I now see in the Go app I have a new error, (after doing nothing - as far as I know), "Main Controller Data Error". Again, very strange with all these "RC Connection Lost" and Main Controller Data Error", the little green light is still on on the remote controller - next to the battery status. Drone still flashing red/green. All seems pretty contradictory.

I will definitely give your list of tips a read. Thank you.

How do I delete it? As mentioned, I connected my laptop to the drone via the white USB cord provided and could see the drone's internal storage; DCIM and MISC folders (and subfolders). There are NO ".bin" files.

jpilk99, there will only be a BIN file on your memory card if you placed it there.

jpilk99, there will only be a BIN file on your memory card if you placed it there.

I appreciate you trying to help, but, ...I didn't "place" anything anywhere. I bought the drone, I tried to follow all the instructions and videos. I got to the point where I "linked" them - I was able to move the gimbal with the remote and I could see the video from the camera on my iphone on the remote. I got the green light on the remote telling me it was linked/connected.

Then I prompted/told to update the firmware, so I did it. Now, I get the "Remote Connection Lost" error and don't know what to do. Many people have said, "Delete the .BIN file on the mini SD card". I can't find it. I plugged the white USB cord (provided from DJI) into my laptop and into the mini port on the drone. I am able to view the memory/storage on the card on my computer. There are 2 folders: DCIM and MISC. Neither has a ".BIN" file.

I am beyond lost at this point.

Jay,

Did you read my post? I hear your frustration but you need to take a breath and listen to those that are trying to help you. Msinger has been here a long time and knows just about anything regarding these birds. I'd suggest you slow down and listen to what he's telling you. If you choose not to, he'll probably just go away. You couldn't have got any better person to help you but you need to slow down, listen and do what he's telling you to do. Forget about all this stuff "others" are telling you for a few minutes. The .bin file isn't going to cause any problems like the ones you are experiencing.

Jerry

Jay,

Did you read my post? I hear your frustration but you need to take a breath and listen to those that are trying to help you. Msinger has been here a long time and knows just about anything regarding these birds. I'd suggest you slow down and listen to what he's telling you. If you choose not to, he'll probably just go away. You couldn't have got any better person to help you but you need to slow down, listen and do what he's telling you to do. Forget about all this stuff "others" are telling you for a few minutes. The .bin file isn't going to cause any problems like the ones you are experiencing.

Jerry
Thank you, Jtrjr. Yes, I read his generous post and the posts of others. I don't know who is THE authority and who isn't - I'm just reading everyone's inputs assuming they're all helpful. I'll just stop now. Again, I appreciate all the help - it is unfortunate it is this difficult, but, I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

Jay

Jay,

A hint for you since you're new to the forum. Look at the info from the poster that you are receiving a reply, on the left side of their posts, where the avatar and name is. Note how long someone has been on the forum, how many messages they have posted and how many likes they've received. Listen to the posters that have a good balance of posts, likes and the time they've been here. Thousands of posters come and go. Just my opinion.

Jerry

Reactions: Pharm
Ahhh, so you updated the remote but not the quadcopter. They both need to be updated. You take the micro SD card out of the aircraft and put that in an adapter or card reader, then into your computer. (How can you not know about an SD card reader if you are an IT guy? Seems odd).
Anyway, you need to got to DJIs site, download the correct BIN file, there are several so get the appropriate one for your specific model, place that bin file in the root directory of your SD card (not in a folder). Install the card back into the quadcopter and power the quad up, leave the remote off for the quad update. It may take some time, usually 10-20 minutes, but sometimes as little as 5 minutes. When it is done, power the quad down. Then try to connect the Radio to the quad again. You will have to search YouTube for instructions on how to do the quad update. It would be easier to watch it than for us to try to explain.
Good luck.

Reactions: Reed L
Then I prompted/told to update the firmware, so I did it. Now, I get the "Remote Connection Lost" error and don't know what to do.
Follow the instructions here to downgrade your remote controller firmware. Then, install the firmware exactly like this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31