Brown trouser moment

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I had a very bad experience last night whilst trying to get some video of our local fireworks, set up the P3A ok but didn't re calibrate the compass as I normally would as their where a lot of people around (not dangerously close though) however it was done earlier in the day within a half mile away.
Took off and moved quickly into safer ground and noticed that I didn't have full control as if I had lost GPS beginning to panic even though I have 6 months experience and about 150 flights I hit RTH and she started getting closer but looked like she was going to touch down in the water so I took over again and she seemed to drift again, I managed to do a very rapid and what must have been a heavy landing about 200 ft. away on a road- she stayed upright and didn't cause any damage but not the start to the new year I was hoping for.
I have tried attaching the flight data so if any of you guys have any idea of what may have gone wrong I would be grateful.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2016-01-01_[00-00-33].txt
    121.3 KB · Views: 249
Hmm interesting. You shouldn't have had to re calibrate the compass so soon in that area. If you leave the area yes. Not 1.5 miles though.

I have been flying about 3 years, and I only re calibrate the compass if I change locations by say 60 miles, if I update firmware, or if I see a problem.

Maybe it could have been signal interference?

By the way, I tried to look at your flight logs in notepad. What do I need to look at the flight log? Anyone?

This is the first time I have tried to show a flight log, I apologise if it doesn't work, can I upload from healthy drones?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1451669793.943134.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1451669853.769231.jpg

I rarely calibrate my compass. Even after firmware updates. I rarely travel in excess of a 100 miles otherwise I'd probably then do a recalibration. I just look at my sensor mod values and if they're in the 1500 range I'm good to go.

D and E show mode changes? however if I try to change mode on the controller and I don't believe I did, it says - cannot switch current flight mode to switch enable multiple flight mode in the settings menu?
help to clarify this would be appreciated - always something else to learn.

awaiting a verification link email from healthy drones, as soon as I get it I will post the link

It was dark, but no noticeable toilet bowl affect it just seemed to race down wind with little control.

what would that do in real terms?

I don't think that it would cause the problems you experienced but is something that I would be a bit concerned about & be keeping my eye on.

I think for some reason your phantom changed to atti mode (as shown in healthy drones) & this means that they can get pushed around by the wind, as atti mode only takes care of altitude I think.

Yes you made atti Active with the switch on the remote.

9 seconds in flight atti is active

E 00m 09s 3.6 m 0 m Mode Mode changed to Atti

-> then the brown pants moment :)

F 00m 36s 32.9 m 179 m Mode Mode changed to GoHome

G 00m 36s 32.9 m 179 m Tip Tips__Going to the Home Point

H 01m 15s 10.8 m 14 m Mode Mode changed to AutoLanding

I 01m 15s 10.8 m 14 m Tip Tips__Going to the Home Point

-> hard landing :)

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

More info on atti here : Atti mode phantom questions | DJI Phantom Forum

And yes there is a real problem with your battery, i would stop flying with that battery! -> this could cause a crash! :)

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Last edited:
Thanks guys, very confused as I didn't set it to atti and the app is not set to let me??
Do you think that the battery will be under warranty ?

When you say toilet bowl effect do you mean drifting round & round? What does that indicate as not heard anything called that before.
Yes a toilet bowl effect is when the uav moves round and round in circle similar to when a toilet is flushed hence the name. It can occur when a there is some sort of interverence with the compass . Such as metal or magnetic materials near the uav when the compass is calibrated .

You might consider a test flight in a small controlled area and try switching between GPS and ATTI modes. Then check flight in only GPS mode. You may have a bad switch.
Fly with a new battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj