broken clip on gimbal main board

Droneted

Phantom 4 gimbal repair advice
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
One of the clips that holds the ribbon cable in is broken. The lock poped out when I was lifting it up to remove the ribbon cable.The part of the white connector that holds the lock in place is broken and I can see no way to hold the ribbon securly in place. The 2nd one is ok. I tried it to see if it would still work but it won't. Any ideas other than a new board ( which is not available)?? It is a p3p.

Got a photo?

IMG_3178.JPG
IMG_3178.JPG The right lock is ok it is the left lock. The part that holds the lock on the left side is broken.

Maybe tape it on?

Locked in would be ideal. The lock just holds the cable though, so it would not be required if tape holds it in position properly.

i tried it with having it just in place and it didn't seem to work. The lock on the right one holds them both in place. I will try again with a new cable. Maybe Hunch can fix it

I have the same problem. The lock is broken. Mine is a standard so only has one connector. I don't think it will make good connection if I just tape it as if fits rather loose. Is there a fix or do I need a new board. Haven't been able to find just the board for sale.

i tried it with having it just in place and it didn't seem to work. The lock on the right one holds them both in place. I will try again with a new cable. Maybe Hunch can fix it

Can I ask a stupid question? Why are you taking your gimbal apart in the first place? Did it crash?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

View attachment 39346 View attachment 39346 The right lock is ok it is the left lock. The part that holds the lock on the left side is broken.
Maybe an in focus pic would help to see if there is anything you can do about it.

If you can get it to work on the bench, gluing it down with a rapid setting, mild glue like Bondic might work. But .... It is likely to disassemble itself at 200 feet over the water or some other Murphy-inspired catastrophe. Unfortunately, you are looking at a board replacement. Yes, you could replace the header but it would be difficult and chancy and, by the time labor is figured in, more expensive than just getting a new one.

Dainty fingers. You need dainty fingers.

Edit: If you happen to know somebody that likes to work on surface mount stuff as a hobby, you might try replacing the header. You could likely source it from a parts supplier or Ebay or get one off (another) wrecked board. Are there any Maker communities nearby?

Great! Now share with community how he fixed it so as to help the others you were seeking help from!

Reactions: Oso
Did anyone figure this out? The black cable lock on the main gimbal board broke off on my P3 Stanard. I'm not sure tape would hold the connections in place.

I did the same thing on my rc main board. Bought a new rc after trying everything I could think of, including tape and super glue.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Here the sad story. If you just flip it out and don't break the side that holds it in you can put it back with a giant magnifying glass. If the side (white) bends too far you can put it back in position with superglue on the side. If you break the white side off you are done. The locking clip actually rocks a set of pins down onto the ribbon cable. Tape or glue will not do that. You mist have the clip

Here the sad story. If you just flip it out and don't break the side that holds it in you can put it back with a giant magnifying glass. If the side (white) bends too far you can put it back in position with superglue on the side. If you break the white side off you are done. The locking clip actually rocks a set of pins down onto the ribbon cable. Tape or glue will not do that. You mist have the clip
Glad to see that you've already sorted the problem out with the help of member 'hunch', Ted4797. But yes, although small, owing to the leverage of the clip, it does push the connections together with some force (thankfully :)) and just taping it probably won't ever work..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl