Broken Camera Back from DJI, view on iphone not working?

Reaction score
So DJI replaced my Vision Plus camera that broke off and I just got it back from their repair department. Unfortunately, the camera view does not show up on my iphone. It takes pictures and videos but I just can't see the camera's view on the phone. Obviously they put a new camera on. Initially it just showed the loading wheel but never got the camera to show up on the phone. I played around with the setting on the "binding" section and tried to snap a picture of the QR code and also manually plug in the new camera codes at which point the other message I get at that point is that "Wi-Fi Repeater Connection Failed". Anyone have any advice about how to fix this so I can again see what the camera is seeing? Totally appreciate any direction and or advice.

You sound a bit vague about doing the rebinding, go through that carefully, and re-install your phone app.
Some people have resolved this by going back to an earlier app version and it has continued to work when back on the latest again.
If none of this works you might be looking at a new wifi module I'm afraid.

Maybe it was damaged in the crash too - but I would have expected that to be detected when they 'fixed' the camera.
Maybe it was OK then and the journey back jiggled it once too many times.

Can you see telemetry?
YOu might simply have a software FPV streaming issue.
Make sure you're on the latest DJI APP.
Drop the resolution to the lowest setting.
Make sure you have 3 gigs available on your FPV device.

Jamie Coulter said:
So DJI replaced my Vision Plus camera that broke off and I just got it back from their repair department. Unfortunately, the camera view does not show up on my iphone. It takes pictures and videos but I just can't see the camera's view on the phone. Obviously they put a new camera on. Initially it just showed the loading wheel but never got the camera to show up on the phone. I played around with the setting on the "binding" section and tried to snap a picture of the QR code and also manually plug in the new camera codes at which point the other message I get at that point is that "Wi-Fi Repeater Connection Failed". Anyone have any advice about how to fix this so I can again see what the camera is seeing? Totally appreciate any direction and or advice.

Hi you will have to bind the camera from the QR code on the box the Phanton came in ,I tried to do this with iphone and ipad with no success ,seems they could not read it properly ,then tried on an android it worked perfect . Press the reset on the extender then follow instructions ,hope that helps

Have you tried reinstalling the app, if not try that.

The camera is taking pics and video, that eliminates problems with the camera and recording.

The next thing to check is the connections from the Camera/gimbal module and make sure all the connectors are seated correctly and making contact (three sets of grey cables), if everything seems ok there, follow the cables into the bird and check the connectors in the bird to the WiFi module.

At this stage check to see if you have video and telemetry on the app, if so, all is good, if not, disconnect the cables and check for continuity (no breaks) with a multimeter. If continuity is all good reconnect, try the app again.

If there is still no video or telemetry, as mentioned by another member, the WiFi transmitter in the bird may be faulty.

thanks for all the feedback, i will try these things. Its possible the wi fi repeater is broken. I reinstalled the app. I added extra gigs on my FPV device so definitely have 3 gigs available.
I will press the reset on the extender, too. Don't have the unit in front of me, where is the reset button on the extender? I don't know what telemetry is unfortunately, so not sure if I have it!
Will try the cables.
The customer service guy from the shop in Vegas was pretty helpful and said to call him back if his first suggestion of deleting/ re installing the app didn't work. Thanks all!!

I think the problem is that the app / phone is looking for the OLD camera or camera settings. I would

1. UNINSTALL the Vision app.
2. RESET NETWORK CONNECTIONS. (You will have to re-enter passwords on all of your wifi connections the next time you connect to them.
3. RESTART the phone (Not just turn the screen off.... RESTART).
4. Reinstall the Vision app.

I bet it will work now.

What the phone binds and connects to as a camera, is in fact the wifi module inside the phantom.
You can swap the complete gimbal/camera without needing to rebind, however it is always worth trying, as are the other ideas above.
Others have reported one or other trick fixes this (quite) common problem - which suggests the cause can vary and does not always indicate a hardware fault.

tried all these things, no luck. Now the phantom wi fi is essentially not even showing up in the wi fi list. Here is an interesting question, can an entirely different phantom vision plus 2 remote controller and wi fi repeater that my friend owns control this unit and get my FPV showing again? and then go back to controlling his unit without issue?

Jamie Coulter said:
tried all these things, no luck. Now the phantom wi fi is essentially not even showing up in the wi fi list. Here is an interesting question, can an entirely different phantom vision plus 2 remote controller and wi fi repeater that my friend owns control this unit and get my FPV showing again? and then go back to controlling his unit without issue?

It sounds like you need to replace the Wifi module inside the phantom. This is my 4th post today pointing to my successful replacement of mine last night. I could also take video & pics, but could not see what the camera saw on my phone.... my problem eventually lead to being unable to connect to the wifi signal at all. There is a good How To thread on replacing the module... it literally takes 15 minutes.

Jamie Coulter said:
If you have pressed the reset button the wifi will def need to re bind to the Phantom either scan in from box or fill in details manually as on bottom of repeater unit if the details are on it MAC code etc should be there.

where do I find the post on how to replace the wifi module? also trying to rebind with the mac number from the bottom of the repeater. Totally appreciate everyone trying to help!1

I am having the problem of my phone not even identifying a phatom wi fi signal now. Does DDMSteve have the wifi modules for sale? How do I contact him? Thanks again.

Jamie Coulter said:
I had the same problem after taking it apart. First I did the binding of the camera seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7FsdCPrEeU . You may have to get a new Q code from DJI as the camera is new the one on the original box is probably wrong. I had to try two phones both Samsung before the Q code system worked. I then deleted the App (Android in my case) and reinstalled it. All now works fine. Oh yes when binding make sure you push the blue tick at the top of the phone after it has registered the Q code this sets it in the memory

Jamie Coulter said:
where do I find the post on how to replace the wifi module? also trying to rebind with the mac number from the bottom of the repeater. Totally appreciate everyone trying to help!1

Here is the link: http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20006&p=182775#p182775

Your problem sounds exactly like mine. My phone would not even find the wifi signal.

When you do replace it -- be sure you scan the NEW bar code included with the module. You get 2 new stickers.

Jamie Coulter said:
I am having the problem of my phone not even identifying a phatom wi fi signal now. Does DDMSteve have the wifi modules for sale? How do I contact him? Thanks again.

DDMSteve is the forum name of Steve, who works for Daves Discount Motors (DDM). I've been buying HPI Baja parts from DDM for about 7 years now, needless to say I'm glad they sell Phantoms and parts, never had a problem with their service! Yes, they have a large selection of DJI phantom parts and are always adding new ones.

Had a chance to talk with Jaime today and it does sound like the WiFi module needs to be replaced. I updated my original post in the How-To thread for replacing the WiFi module with a link to the replacement module on our site as well as troubleshooting on how to determine if it is your WiFi module that needs to be replaced.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers