Broke 2 km!

Reaction score
Today is a new personal best for me! I flew 2190 m out. I broke the 2km mark :D :D

Failsafe kicked in though, I reckon I could took control again and went further but battery was running low.

the video was distorting up quite a bit, I think it may be due to my antennas not pointing the correct direction.

With stock radio? Last time when I flew in my residental area, I only managed to get about 800m and failsafe kicked in. And I went home and check my flight limit, it was set at 1500m.

I'll get a screenshot next time! Lol

Yes it stock radio with tp aerial 8bi mod. I live in a built-up area also. And yes i've set my limits to 6000 lol

Turbazz said:
.... And yes i've set my limits to 6000 lol

If you ever get a fly away, by the time it reaches 6000 and tries to return, your battery will be well and truly dead.
I'd bring that down to 2500m or the like, so that you've got some chance of it making it home before the battery dies.

Sorry that doesn't make sense to me... If I lose connection with the bird it's up to my Home point being set correctly for in order it to come back?

And if it still flies away with connection i should able to regain control? S1, if that fails I would just turn the controller off..that should trigger fail safe. And if none of that works is another problem altogether?

Setting the distance shouldn't really matter. Please correct me if I'm wrong I'm pretty new to this

Just something I read on a forum where the pilot had his fly away with no apparent cause, and not kick into RTH when he turned off the radio. He claimed it came back when it hit the boundary, and thinks it was following a false signal.
Personally I doubt that that was the cause of the RTH, but it stuck with me as one extra level of fail safe to have it also activate RTH if the unit gets too far away.
The more failsafes that can return it if things go wrong, the better. Even if they're unlikely.

Yes I know it would be extra measure of safety, but I really think it wouldn't make a difference. Setting the home point is the key.

I'm looking to do a 4/5000 meter flight! I really do get a buzz Lol. When I get my aerials in the correct orientation lol.

Turbazz said:
Yes I know it would be extra measure of safety, but I really think it wouldn't make a difference. Setting the home point is the key.

I'm looking to do a 4/5000 meter flight! I really do get a buzz Lol. When I get my aerials in the correct orientation lol.

Good luck man, its alot of fun. I broke 5600m but I was standing on top of a hill in a semi rural area with no houses. Make sure you have a head wind coming back home. I had 70% battery left after over 10000m of flying. :D

I got mine back today with the new immersionrc 600mw installed. Paired up with the FPVLR helical and clover leafs, and I'm expecting I'll soon be joining the long-range club. Well, probably not. I still get too scared at those distances. Maybe once I have some kind of tracker on the bird, but at the moment I just start imagining thousands of dollars disappearing without trace and no idea where they landed/crashed.

Ezookiel said:
I got mine back today with the new immersionrc 600mw installed. Paired up with the FPVLR helical and clover leafs, and I'm expecting I'll soon be joining the long-range club. Well, probably not. I still get too scared at those distances. Maybe once I have some kind of tracker on the bird, but at the moment I just start imagining thousands of dollars disappearing without trace and no idea where they landed/crashed.

I hear ya. Installed my Flytrex Live this past Saturday morning and finally had the confidence to really take her out. Lost phantom connection around 2000ft, flipped over the the Flytrex app and took her out another 800ft or so before losing control connection. It is a whole new world knowing exactly where your bird is at all times, and more importantly that she's still in the air (and not flying away) once you lose FPV. I can't say enough about it.

Managed 2500km this time! I have a screenshot but it's not uploading,says Max file size 1 mb?

Max file size 1Mb. Have to keep that in mind now.....

How do you guys do that? I have hit 4000 feet on ground station before but lost video at around 2200.
When you get it that far do you just use the video feed to navigate or do you rely on RTH to get it back to you?

I've not exceeded 1.2kms yet, but at that distance it's basically invisible to the eye, so I'm using the FPV feed to fly it. If you know the area you're flying, the FPV feed is more than enough to keep constant mental orientation. I often use the diamond on the screen to know roughly which direction to fly to return to myself, but in general I know well enough where the quad is in relation to myself and kept a rough sense of my bearings well enough, to know which direction to fly home in.

I've only once had to use Home Lock when I lost FPV feed and therefore also lost my bearings and became disoriented, but HL and pull back on the stick and she came right on back into FPV range, where I took over again. Oddly, the only time that ever happened was while I was only about 100m away, I got too many trees between myself and the quad, so poured on a heap of altitude and HL'ed back into range. I've never had a problem at the bigger distances.

But I'm yet to get anywhere near 2.5kms. I doubt I'll ever go beyond 2kms just for my own peace of mind. I get far too worried when I'm out at big distances.

Good luck man, its alot of fun. I broke 5600m but I was standing on top of a hill in a semi rural area with no houses. Make sure you have a head wind coming back home. I had 70% battery left after over 10000m of flying. :D

Hey thongbong, what the heck are you flying and is it solar powered?

You long-range club members must really trust your tracking devices. I'm impressed with the distances y'all are getting.
That tailwind idea for coming home sounds pretty good.

Lol solar. I don't think 10,000 km is possible with 70% battery left

Hey thongbong, what the heck are you flying and is it solar powered?

You long-range club members must really trust your tracking devices. I'm impressed with the distances y'all are getting.
That tailwind idea for coming home sounds pretty good.

It's all about the tail wind and flying in ATTI mode. If you can break 50mph, you'll get to 5000m fast. I don't use tracking anymore, just hope I don't crash far out. lol. But yeah, flying in a rural area on top of a hill will help alot.

I was also mentioning to another forum member about video reception that if you could, making your own CP antennas and helical is the best and cheapest solution. I made it out to 5k on a DIY 3 turn helical and DIY CP antennas.

Lol solar. I don't think 10,000 km is possible with 70% battery left

Los Angeles to Moscow with a few zig-zags along the way it could.

Maybe there's supposed to be a decimal point there somewhere, or less zeros.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20