Bright Spot in Video when Sun is behind camera

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Is there anything that can be done to eliminate the bright spot that appears in the video when the Sun is directly behind the camera/drone? I'm assuming it's not actually a fault in the equipment as others seem to have the problem?

You can clearly see what I mean in one of my videos here:
St Catherine's Oratory - Chale - Isle of Wight

I don't really understand why this happens, unless the Sun is actually going "through" the back of the camera housing?

Anyone got a definitive answer?

Reactions: rene van der meer
It's exactly where the shadow of the AC would be. If you were lower, you'd see the shadow. So I assume it's an overlap of the edges of the shadow.

Nope - don't know how to get rid of it...

Is there anything that can be done to eliminate the bright spot that appears in the video when the Sun is directly behind the camera/drone? I'm assuming it's not actually a fault in the equipment as others seem to have the problem?

I don't really understand why this happens, unless the Sun is actually going "through" the back of the camera housing?
It's an optical phenomenon called Heiligenschein. Heiligenschein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's hard to beat physics but you could try avoiding the situations where it is an issue. ie sun behind the Phantom shining onto the ground below.

Reactions: WetDog and matti
Nice video BrAinZ
It is an optical effect caused by diffraction and refection. It depends on the atmospheric conditions and height.
Probably the light is polarized, so a ND filter might help.

I have seen this in some of my vids and I was using ND16. I agree with others, this is optical due to the angle of the camera and where the sun is. I haven't tried a lens hood yet but will purchase one and test if it helps.

Neither would make any difference.
The bright spot is real and it's there on the ground - it's not something in the camera.

Yes it is real but so is a shadow. If we apply light to a shadow it will disappear. We use filters to lessen the effects of light. So, just because something is real, doesn't mean we can't lessen it with the use of filters. The question is how much filter to remove the unwanted light and still have a good picture/video.

Don't try to make it go away, use it creatively. I love getting a similar phenomenon 'The Glory" (referenced in msinger's link) with clouds. Spent entire batteries trying to get it in the right place.

Reactions: NRJ
Yes it is real but so is a shadow. If we apply light to a shadow it will disappear. We use filters to lessen the effects of light. So, just because something is real, doesn't mean we can't lessen it with the use of filters. The question is how much filter to remove the unwanted light and still have a good picture/video.
Not sure what kind of filter will only affect the bright spot.
Any filter that will reduce the brightness of the bright spot will also darken the rest of the image so there will still be spot that's lighter than the beckground.

Not sure what kind of filter will only affect the bright spot.
Any filter that will reduce the brightness of the bright spot will also darken the rest of the image so there will still be spot that's lighter than the beckground.

That is true, however if a filter doesn't work, you could narrow it down in post processing. It all depends on if you find it a bother rather than a natural effect.

Hi Guys,

You can clearly see what I mean in one of my videos here:
St Catherine's Oratory - Chale - Isle of Wight

Yeah thats the sun

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4