Breaking NEWS: New York City Drone Pilots WILL NOT BE CHARGE

Re: Breaking NEWS: New York City Drone Pilots WILL NOT BE CH

******* right! they weren't doing anything wrong. I bet that FAA charge will get dropped or not prosecuted whatever... I don't think the FAA has successfully prosecuted any RC/quad pilots lately... they even dropped that charge against the guy who crashed his Phantom onto a sidewalk and nearly killed people... if anybody deserved it he did.

Great news for us but I bet it cost them some cash.

I guess they wont be called "IDIOTS" anymore lol

yes, good news, but according to the article, the FAA now plans to prosecute them. Not sure what they will be charged with.

FAR §91.13 (careless or reckless operation). It's their catch-all that assures a conviction for almost every case they prosecute. They *rarely* lose this charge because it is so vague.

Edit.

I just listened to the transcript, and any charges would be laughable. The only complaining subject was the helicopter pilot, and listening to his description sounds more like a UFO paranoid nut case. 2,000 feet in less than two seconds - yikes, that's a 60,000 FPM climb. Does a rocket even do that? And, " .. he has to be military. He's moving."

Not exactly a credible witness.

Then the helicopter pursues the drone. Who was being reckless?

Transcript:
Copter: What kind of contact do you have over the GW at this time?
La guardia Tower: What do you mean, what do you mean by that? What kind of contact?
C: Uh, I don't know, we just had a, uh, aircraft do a vertical climb. Pretty uh, pretty fast.
L: I don't see anything on the radar. About how high, how high did you say he went?
C: I'd say, uh, zero to about 2000 in uh, less in than two seconds. And he's got his green and reds on, he's going up, he's about [unintelligible] northbound at this time.
L: Really? I, I don't see anything on the radar.
C: I don't know, it was fast moving.
L: I'm not even showing anything, like, not even a sporadic [unintelligible].
C: Uh, he has to be military. He's moving.
L: Roger that.
C: He's right over top of us right now, Laguardia, he did a, uh 180 really quick going down the East River at this time.
C: I just want to make sure it's not a, uh, a drone.
C: And Laguardia, we're, uh, 800 feet and he's level with us at this time.
L: And, is he above you?
C: He's circling [unintelligible] up to the GW. Our, uh, our altitude, he's got to be a drone.
L: Roger that. Yeah, he's still not getting picked up on the radar.
L: And, uh, does he have lights on [unintelligible]?
C: He's got red and green lights, but he's, uh, he's trucking. He's moving fast.
C: And Laguardia, definitely a drone. He's uh, going up the streets now.
L: [unintelligible] true got to be a better way maybe to disable these guys, huh? We got to figure something out.
C: Yeah, we're gonna stay here to figure out where he puts it.
L: Yeah, no problem, take your time. You're the only ones in the airspace so can, uh, have at it.
[Unknown1]: Yeah we got drone activity up by the GW bridge, uh, we're trying to walk an R and P we got the guys operating it on the ground so, uh, hopefully we can get ah, we can get these guys, uh, collared up.
[Unknown2]: [unintelligible] me to update GW?
[Unknown1]: Well they were at the VGW now I've got, uh three-four coming up the Fairview and one-nine-three in the vicinity of.
[Unknown2]: Alright, do you want me to do anything from here?
[Unknown1]: Nope. Just, uh, just letting you know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.