Brandy new

Reaction score
Wife actually got me the coolest Xmas gift ever, I certainly wouldn't have spent that money on myself, but rock on , I'm pumped to have such an amazing toy/machine. I've messed around with those airhogs thing with good success, but wow I haven't even lifted off the ground yet. The lack of manuals is terrible. And the whole switch from home WiFi to copterms WiFi is stupid, next can anyone tell me if gps is coming from my phone, meaning using data on phone, or it has its own, gps?

Wife actually got me the coolest Xmas gift ever, I certainly wouldn't have spent that money on myself, but rock on , I'm pumped to have such an amazing toy/machine. I've messed around with those airhogs thing with good success, but wow I haven't even lifted off the ground yet. The lack of manuals is terrible. And the whole switch from home WiFi to copterms WiFi is stupid, next can anyone tell me if gps is coming from my phone, meaning using data on phone, or it has its own, gps?
Like another poster stated, manuals are online download it if you want. No products like this come with printed manuals for the past five years, maybe more. On your very first post your calling the product stupid, the more seasoned members on these forums like their drone the way it is. It's not stupid, just because your having a hard time.

Last edited:
The lack of manuals is terrible.
I'm not sure which Phantom you own, so here are links to both pages where you'll find the Phantom manual:

can anyone tell me if gps is coming from my phone, meaning using data on phone, or it has its own, gps?
The Phantom uses its own internal GPS receiver for most functions that require GPS data. However, you'll need to use a mobile device that contains a GPS receiver if you want to use the Follow Me feature or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If neither of those features are of interest, then it would be fine to fly with a Wi-Fi only mobile device.

@Markd

Welcome to the forum!

As all have said so far, yes you got a lot of learning to do, these Phantoms are really amazing and complex, everything is great, until you make a mistake.

If some of those posts seem rude, they are just concerned.

A lot of first posts are, crashed my drone, lost my drone, how did this happen.
Your one ahead. ;)

http://www.phantompilots.com/search/21392311/?q=crash&o=relevance :eek:

Browse around here, if anything you be asking more questions.
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

Rod :)

Thanks, I only ask about the WiFi on my phone, because I would prefer use a designated tablet for quad, so that I won't be worried about phone.., battery, signal etc. The tablet has no service

Thanks, I only ask about the WiFi on my phone, because I would prefer use a designated tablet for quad, so that I won't be worried about phone.., battery, signal etc. The tablet has no service
Your OP asked about GPS, not wifi so much and about data usage. Post #2 and #6 answered those questions. If your still unclear, please let us know and I or someone else can help.

I have the same impression as markd. Just got the P3 4K. Seems like a great product. I like to read as much as possible before taking off. The documentation for the 4K is confusing and the lack of manual didn't help. Directions in the box to locate the online manual would have helped. Another example was The quick start guide says how to connect the wifi, but all the vids online mention the USB method. All little things, that DJI could easily address to make the experience easier. Also most everything I find is for the standard or the advanced/pro. Luckily I had to travel right after cams, so I have lots of time to read up. Looking forward to getting home and flying.

Bill

I have the same impression as markd. Just got the P3 4K. Seems like a great product. I like to read as much as possible before taking off. The documentation for the 4K is confusing and the lack of manual didn't help. Directions in the box to locate the online manual would have helped. Another example was The quick start guide says how to connect the wifi, but all the vids online mention the USB method. All little things, that DJI could easily address to make the experience easier. Also most everything I find is for the standard or the advanced/pro. Luckily I had to travel right after cams, so I have lots of time to read up. Looking forward to getting home and flying.

Bill
The P3K is more like the Standard in most ways. Just a upgraded camera and a upgraded RC.

@B Greene , yeah been there. :rolleyes:

The P3A, P3P were released before the P3S.

The P3S was the first that everything was done via WiFi, P34K then followed.

"Directions in the box to locate the online manual would have helped"
If I recall on the outside of the box there is the Qr-code to download the manual, and the same as on the quick start sheet.
Should have been at least one (directions in the box). :rolleyes:
I came from using a P2V+, and still this P3S was can still very confusing.

I see your other posts, don't know if caught @msinger help page.
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

Welcome to the Forum!
Stay away from trees, they don't move out of the way, they are also like the wind, they usually win in a fight. :)

Rod

The P3K is more like the Standard in most ways. Just a upgraded camera and a upgraded RC.

Thanks WilliamM. I thought using the 3P advanced options made more sense because the remotes are common and the P34K has the visual detection/sonar. DJI actual says the 3P4K is identical to the advanced ( not the standard ) except for the camera upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks WilliamM. I thought using the 3P advanced options made more sense because the remotes are common and the P34K has the visual detection/sonar. DJI actual says the 3P4K is identical to the advanced ( not the standard ) except for the camera upgrade.

Not really, mostly because it doesn't use lightbridge for video and telemetry but uses wifi like the Standard, which is a huge difference. And doesn't the RC and device connect via wifi, and not a usb cable? Like the P3S.

P34K does not have Lightbridge.

Not really, mostly because it doesn't use lightbridge for video and telemetry but uses wifi like the Standard, which is a huge difference. And doesn't the RC and device connect via wifi, and not a usb cable? Like the P3S.
Also the RC control is at 5.8GHz (like the Standard) not 2.4GHz (better) as in the P3A. It's range is just like the P3S, and not the P3A. And it's FPV quality is only 480p the worst of the three, which are 720p. So when your saying "DJI actual says the 3P4K is identical to the advanced". Need I say more.

Also the RC control is at 5.8GHz (like the Standard) not 2.4GHz (better) as in the P3A. It's range is just like the P3S, and not the P3A. And it's FPV quality is only 480p the worst of the three, which are 720p. So when your saying "DJI actual says the 3P4K is identical to the advanced". Need I say more.

Okay....the telemetry system is different and has less range then the advanced/pro, but the remote, the optical/sonar system and the flight modes are common between the 4K, advanced and pro. I think from an controller , instructional and forum standpoint there would be more in common between the 4K and the advanced/pro than the standard. I am not debating which is the best rig.

Regarding the vid streaming, ya I don't get why the 4K could not be as good as the standard. But I am not sure that is that important to me. As long as I get the crisp 4K vid on the memory card.

I love forums for my hobbies, get to learn so much, get to know some people....oh and these wonderful debates can make it fun. Just dying to get home from this week at the inlaws and go flying.

Okay....the telemetry system is different and has less range then the advanced/pro, but the remote, the optical/sonar system and the flight modes are common between the 4K, advanced and pro. I think from an controller , instructional and forum standpoint there would be more in common between the 4K and the advanced/pro than the standard. I am not debating which is the best rig.

Regarding the vid streaming, ya I don't get why the 4K could not be as good as the standard. But I am not sure that is that important to me. As long as I get the crisp 4K vid on the memory card.

I love forums for my hobbies, get to learn so much, get to know some people....oh and these wonderful debates can make it fun. Just dying to get home from this week at the inlaws and go flying.
Glad you understood where I was coming from and didn't take it the wrong way, so many get their noses out of joint. I don't understand why the FPV has a lower res than the others myself, makes no sense at all. My computer can barely run 2.7k let alone 4k videos so that wouldn't work for me right now. I did have a question on your RC, is it connected to your device via wifi or USB cable?

Glad you understood where I was coming from and didn't take it the wrong way, so many get their noses out of joint. I don't understand why the FPV has a lower res than the others myself, makes no sense at all. My computer can barely run 2.7k let alone 4k videos so that wouldn't work for me right now. I did have a question on your RC, is it connected to your device via wifi or USB cable?

Wifi. We only hooked it up for a minute and confirmed the connection was working.

Wifi. We only hooked it up for a minute and confirmed the connection was working.
You only hook up a USB cable for a minute ?? Not understanding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.