Brand new user

Reaction score
Hello

First of all I want to say Hi to everyone. This is my first post here an I am a brand new Phantom 2 vision + owner, i fact I have not even received it, it will be here tomorrow. I have never used any of these toys.

I bought a brand new mini Ipad 3 to use fpv with the vision +.

Before getting the Phantom I want to learn a few things and get ready for it, I know many of the things have been discussed before and I did search but it is a lot easier to have all the answers here and just come back to this post while I learn how to use the Phantom.

Here are the questions I would like to get help with:

1. The Phantom 2 vision + will come with all the latest updates and software or I have to download something? if so, where do I download from? if you can supply a link?

2. I bought the DJI PHANTOM Transmiter TX CH7 Pitch Control Slide Lever Gimbal, do the phantom comes with the software for it and ready to use? if not, where can I download it?

3. Where do I download Ground Control for the Ipad?

4. what is the range for FPV with the stock system, as it comes for the Vision 2 +?

5. To increase wi-fi range and radio range, I have seen the fpvlr kits, the stage 1 and stage 2, would this be the easiest and and best way to increase the range or there are a best option and easy to install?

6. I have seen the new 9450 DJI propeller, would they work with the Phantom 2 vision +?

7. For the propeller guards, would they affect the handling and balance, etc. of the bird? I have seen some negative comments, should I install them while I learn how to fly it?

8. Is there a red color propeller guard that would be perfect for the Phantom? I have seen many sold on ebay and amazon but comments are not good, I want something that would function perfectly and do not alter flight control of the bird, I want them in red color? please post link if you can recommend some?

9. I have also heard many bad things and reviews about almost every aftermarket propeller out there, is there a red propeller for the vision 2 + that would work flawlessly out of the box? something that would come balanced, etc and not affet the handling of the bird?

10. I have a boat and would like to use the phantom out on the water when I go to the ocean, is there a float or something for it?

11. What are the best mods and are there any performance mods that would only be good and not alter the balance or the flight, etc,?

thank you very much for all your help and sorry for the long post.

1. The Phantom 2 vision + will come with all the latest updates and software or I have to download something? if so, where do I download from? if you can supply a link?
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus/download
Make sure you download the windows driver to talk to the phantom.

2. I bought the DJI PHANTOM Transmiter TX CH7 Pitch Control Slide Lever Gimbal, do the phantom comes with the software for it and ready to use? if not, where can I download it?
Works but overridden by the DJI Phone App. We assume DJI will have this on the next firmware release.

3. Where do I download Ground Control for the Ipad?
Comes with the latest DJI Phone App. Enable it on in settings > Ground station.

4. what is the range for FPV with the stock system, as it comes for the Vision 2 +?
Depends on geographical area. It can range from 50m - 700m. Just lower the preview setting to 640x480@15fps or below

5. To increase wi-fi range and radio range, I have seen the fpvlr kits, the stage 1 and stage 2, would this be the easiest and and best way to increase the range or there are a best option and easy to install?
Start off with the FPV Booster app or Vision Plus Utility or get some understanding on Linux codes and you can do for free.
If you are learning, fly in visual range. Remember, line of sight (LOS) and visual range are 2 different things.

6. I have seen the new 9450 DJI propeller, would they work with the Phantom 2 vision +?
Yes. I have heard the can extend flight times for estimated 1-2 minutes.

7. For the propeller guards, would they affect the handling and balance, etc. of the bird? I have seen some negative comments, should I install them while I learn how to fly it?
Yes. But stay low and move steadily. I used guards to practice catch landings. Learn about VRS prop wash.

8. Is there a red color propeller guard that would be perfect for the Phantom? I have seen many sold on ebay and amazon but comments are not good, I want something that would function perfectly and do not alter flight control of the bird, I want them in red color? please post link if you can recommend some?
$2 red aerosol can.

9. I have also heard many bad things and reviews about almost every aftermarket propeller out there, is there a red propeller for the vision 2 + that would work flawlessly out of the box? something that would come balanced, etc and not affet the handling of the bird?
I've tried Carbon Fibre, I've tried Nylon 3 Leaf foldables (will review these soon) and awaiting the 9450 for test. Still to date, nothing beats the stock nylons for flight stability and duration.

10. I have a boat and would like to use the phantom out on the water when I go to the ocean, is there a float or something for it?
Yes, but it will still get wet. A forum member designed it to float for recovery purposes. Try the fishing rod gettaback floatation device.
Learn how to set new home points in mid flight. If you see land near by fly over and set new home point.

11. What are the best mods and are there any performance mods that would only be good and not alter the balance or the flight, etc,?
Do the foil mod to block the camera EM interference which improves in GPS acquisitions. This will decrease the chance of a drift away.
Get a plastic camera guard.
There is an option to replace the drop pins or remove them completely. I have personally done this and I believe this would minimise the whiplash in hard bump landings or crashes that lead to tilted horizons and torn flex camera cable.

Practice in a wide unpopulated open field, and as Geert pointed out, read and re-read the manual.
You've done the right thing by joining a forum.

If you need further info, just ask.

Mako79, waoo, thanks for your quick reply and answers, they have been of great help.

Can you please explain a little more about these answers:

2. What do you mean by overridden? so if I use the fpv I won't be able to use the pitch control slide lever? only way to tilt the camera in on the screen of the mini ipad?

4. lower the preview setting? what do you mean, this will give me more range? it won't affect the quality of the videos or pictures?

5. where do I get the fpv booster or vision plus utility? which one is best? do you have a link for the download? this app alone will increase the range of the wifi but not the range of the radio controller, right?

10. Any idea is there are any kind of flotation system for sale?

Again, thanks a lot for your kind reply. There are just too much info and things to learn about this toy, every help and tips I can get from experience users and pilots would be great so I know where to start.

jjurado said:
4. lower the preview setting? what do you mean, this will give me more range? it won't affect the quality of the videos or pictures?
Preview setting will not affect range or photo quality but FPV will probably work better at lower settings rather than higher.
jjurado said:
10. Any idea is there are any kind of flotation system for sale?
No .. just concentrate on flying. Phantoms and water don't mix. Stay high and stay dry.

And most of all - get LOTS of practice in a clear open area (no trees or buildings) before thinking of getting adventurous.

thanks Meta4. one other question, the RE700 comes standard with the Phantom 2 Vision + or this is an upgraded item you can buy after getting the Vision 2 plus?

Also for the wifi extender, which one is better the FPV booster or Vision plus utility? where do I get them, any one has the link?

thanks,

You will have lots of fun with it right out of the box. I wouldn't mod anything until you have had it a month or so and have a good feel for flying it. If you feel you need more range you might want to mod your controller to allow changing the antenna to a screw-on type like the 8db TP Link antenna.

Quick 'N Dirty Mod instructions I used (my record now is 1970m - well over a mile - vs 500m pre-mod):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcl-hT5iznY

You should google the more professional Antenna Splice method though. Bit safer than scraping epoxy and should be better results. I found the video once but I can't locate it now. Maybe somebody has a link?

Antenna I used to get 1970m:
http://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TL-ANT2408 ... B004UBUE2O

And "pics or it didn't happen", right? http://postimg.org/image/gaofo6fp1/

That's all I've done so far but if you want to go all out...

https://vimeo.com/87879364

Thank you rb hamilton. Great info

Which os the 2 software is better to start with, the FPV V2 that's available frm the apple store or the other ore the vision plus utility from DJI?

I mean the fpv booster or the vision plus utility which is supposed to be a booster for the wifi?

Neither booster apps are made by DJI.

The vision plus utility is the better one to buy.. Besides boosting wifi (and allowing you to set your own power rate, which FPV v2 does not let you do) you can also enable encryption but more importantly it lets you do data logging.. the data logs can they be used to overlay onto videos to show altitude, speed etc etc.. You use a program called Dashware to overly/sync up the video and data log info. Having that info makes the videos soooo much more interesting I think. I would pay $10 just to get the data logging feature own its own.

I actually purchased both (got FPV v2 first as I didn't know utility plus existed) and both cost the same amount which is silly considering the lack of features compared to utility plus.

Justin 00, excellent, ty for the great info.

I wasn't sure about which software to buy. I will now buy the vision plus utility.

I am looking like crazy and can't find the Vision + Utility software for download, could anybody help me with a link?

Thank You

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl