Brand new to the FPV drone experience, could use some guidance

Reaction score
I'm brand new to the FPV drone experience. I've done gas-engine RC flying, but the idea of FPV drone flying certainly seems to trump that. To start small and at minimum cost, I've been advised to (i) download the DRL simulator, which I now have done onto my desktop PC, big screen and plenty powerful to handle it; and (ii) purchase a minimum-grade controller (only about $45 or so??) to plug into the PC so I have joysticks to simulate with as opposed to keyboard arrow keys. I don't know Phantom or any other brands, so could use recommendations on an adequate minimal simulator controller and comment as to whether I'm understanding things correctly. I also could use guidance on how the controller would plug into the PC, what kind of cord to use, what end configurations (PC has plenty of USB-2 and -3 ports), and whether the cord would come with the controller or be purchased separately. I also could use guidance as to whether the PC connection would charge the controller battery or alternatively a matching battery charger also have to be purchased. Offhand recommendations and uTube vids to-date suggest maybe the FlySky FS-16 as an adequate minimal controller, apparently comes with a receiver in case needed for the PC hook-up, and could be used with a small quad when I start actual flying. The longer-term plan is to graduate into FPV, at which time I'd probably scrap the minimal controller (if indeed inadequate) and purchase a reasonably high-grade set of controller, quad, receiver, goggles, etc, relying on blog members here hopefully to keep me from straying too far off a logical path. Many thanks in advance for your assist ...

There's a forum here you might find handy: FPV (First Person View)

Welcome to the site!
Many thanks. Unless you have the time to instruct differently, I'll just copy/paste my thread onto that other forum. This whole thing is massively exciting. I know all rarely is fully as perceived, but the ESPN competition show convinced me that FPV's certainly worth pursuing.

I just went ahead and pasted the same thread onto the FPV forum. Couldn't wait. Again, many thanks ...

Yeah, chances are the people who have the knowledge to help you would frequent that forum and be more likely to see your thread. Good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers