Brand new Phantom 3 question.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just found this forum and I thought I should ask a quick question.

Recently while I was landing manually, the drone tilted slightly and the blades touched the soft wood surface then a bit of grass, the aircraft outer area does not seem damaged what so ever, it was probably the tiniest crash ever for a drone. But I'm wondering if by chance I could of damaged inside components. But if everything works fine to fly and all functions work everything is ok right? Just a bit worried as I only got it 3 days ago.

Thanks guys!
-Kro

I doubt it. You should change the props if they are visually damaged.

Hey guys,

Recently while I was landing manually, the drone tilted slightly and the blades touched the soft wood surface then a bit of grass, the aircraft outer area does not seem damaged what so ever, it was probably the tiniest crash ever for a drone. But I'm wondering if by chance I could of damaged inside components. But if everything works fine to fly and all functions work everything is ok right? Just a bit worried as I only got it 3 days ago.

Thanks guys!
-Kro

Welcome aboard Kro! I still have the same exhilaration now I that had on my third day, which was a little over a year and 200+ flights ago.

First off, when landing and on the ground, DO NOT use the CSC maneuver to cut the motors (both sticks down+in), just use the left stick down+in, which does a 2 second pause before cutting the motors. You will read a lot of POSTS here where folks report tip-overs using the CSC, and I've had no problems ever with the single-stick method.

As to posible damage, check for cracks, especially around the motors.

If you hear very bad sounds on power-up and your camera/gimbal is dancing the 'boogaloo, power-down and check the tiny allen screw on the gimbal shaft. After one small tip-over that got loose on me and the gimbal goes crazy trying to compensate, and it looks/sounds really scary. 'Quite common on even small crashes from what I read, and easy to tighten if you have the right-size allen wrench.

Next, if you get no video, but the Tx still communicates, check the gray ribbon cable from the gimbal that plugs into the bottom of the P3 body. That can sometimes work it's way loose on even small crashes, and it's hard to see unless you are looking for it -- 'just needs to be plugged back in (I used surgical forceps to reach it).

Finally, if you are using stock white DJI props you need to RE-BALANCE YOUR PROPS!
If you've never balanced them before, you need to BALANCE YOUR PROPS!

Every set of these I've got has needed balancing. In fact, I only use black DJI carbon-reinforced props -- the main advantage I found with them, that nobody mentions, is they always come perfectly balanced and they stay balanced -- they will break before they warp or crack, unlike the white plastic ones. (Plus they look way-cool with my black carbon-fiber skin). Get yourself a double threaded prop balancing rod for around $7 online, and use a high-ball glass on a level surface (search YouTube for help on that).

Anyway, always "measure twice and cut once", and you are in for a lot of great times with your Phantom!

Ive crashed twice and these phantoms are tough little buggers, first time the gimbal plate broke but I was able to super glue the arm back on without any jello or issues with video.

second crash just broke some propellers and a crack near the motor arm but it has not grown or flexed since

i think they can take a harder crash than we expect, if your lucky that is. Im thinking of buying a spare of each part just incase.

I had two rough landings and seem to be fine. I do think all crashes are unique; meaning one might crash hard and be fine and another crash soft and crack a shell or something.

My two bad landings happened when I was landing in a spot that likely had metal interference (once rebar) and the other I landed into a covered deck and GPS I suspect went whacky. Both times it basically cut hard to the side and landed on the side with props spinning against a bush/wall until I stopped them.

Only damage seems to be some marks on the props. Done many flights since then and all seems fine.
Never knew about balancing the props though. Don't see the need to considering its flying good, true and fast.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Finally, if you are using stock white DJI props you need to RE-BALANCE YOUR PROPS!

Anyway, always "measure twice and cut once", and you are in for a lot of great times with your Phantom!

This is the first I've heard of this in this forum. I've used many stock DJI props and never balanced them. All flights have never had problems with the props. Can you explain some more why they have to be balanced?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey guys,

Thanks guys!
-Kro

If you don't see any visual damage, don't worry then. The things to check are props and gimbal. They are the most sensitive parts. Props are pretty cheap, you can replace if you see them chipped off else clean them and be ready for next take off.

Hey guys,

Thanks guys!
-Kro
Also, Welcome to the forum!
As another, I wonder which method you used to land?
and
I have never balanced my props, I just buy DJI branded.

Rod

Welcome aboard Kro! I still have the same exhilaration now I that had on my third day, which was a little over a year and 200+ flights ago.

First off, when landing and on the ground, DO NOT use the CSC maneuver to cut the motors (both sticks down+in), just use the left stick down+in, which does a 2 second pause before cutting the motors. You will read a lot of POSTS here where folks report tip-overs using the CSC, and I've had no problems ever with the single-stick method.

As to posible damage, check for cracks, especially around the motors.

If you hear very bad sounds on power-up and your camera/gimbal is dancing the 'boogaloo, power-down and check the tiny allen screw on the gimbal shaft. After one small tip-over that got loose on me and the gimbal goes crazy trying to compensate, and it looks/sounds really scary. 'Quite common on even small crashes from what I read, and easy to tighten if you have the right-size allen wrench.

Next, if you get no video, but the Tx still communicates, check the gray ribbon cable from the gimbal that plugs into the bottom of the P3 body. That can sometimes work it's way loose on even small crashes, and it's hard to see unless you are looking for it -- 'just needs to be plugged back in (I used surgical forceps to reach it).

Every set of these I've got has needed balancing. In fact, I only use black DJI carbon-reinforced props -- the main advantage I found with them, that nobody mentions, is they always come perfectly balanced and they stay balanced -- they will break before they warp or crack, unlike the white plastic ones. (Plus they look way-cool with my black carbon-fiber skin). Get yourself a double threaded prop balancing rod for around $7 online, and use a high-ball glass on a level surface (search YouTube for help on that).

Hey thank you so much!!! Amazing amount of information. I'm really starting to like this community :) Weird question I guess but how do you balance the props? I still have the original ones on from when I bought it. Also how do you check if the gimbal is ok?

Welcome aboard Kro!.......... just use the left stick down+in, which does a 2 second pause..........

I've never heard of
"Left stick down + In" for motor shut down. Mine always shuts down with left stick down.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is the first I've heard of this in this forum. I've used many stock DJI props and never balanced them. All flights have never had problems with the props. Can you explain some more why they have to be balanced?
Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Here's a few:
Prop balancing.
Advanced - Balancing props.
Prop balancer
Prop Balancing
PROP BALANCING TIP

Aw heck, here's 114 posts on the topic:
Search Results for Query: prop balancing | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

If your props are only somewhat out of balance, the gimbal may handle the minor vibrations in regards to your video and may not be very noticeable in-flight (especially if that's all you've flown with), but it's still not great for the motors and the additional stress may contribute to cracks in the shell over time (IMHO).

Also, Welcome to the forum!
As another, I wonder which method you used to land?
and
I have never balanced my props, I just buy DJI branded.

Rod
'Very wise to ONLY use DJI Phantom 9450 self-tightening props with composite hub.
I just prefer the DJI 9450 Carbon Fiber Reinforced versions, as they come always perfectly balanced and stay that way (or break). At least that's my experience.
I've never received a set of the DJI brand of white-plastic props that were in-balance, new out-of-the-sleeve, and I just don't fly with them anymore.
If you are flying OK with them, 'have at it Hoss! For me, it's just one less thing to worry about (and they look way-kewl with my black carbon-fiber-patterned skin ;o)

It's called a CSC. And, if you do it mid-flight, your motors will shut off.
Actually, the CSC is both sticks down + in, which will kill the motors mid-flight or on the ground. The single left-stick down+in will only kill your motors when stationary on the ground after about 2 seconds. (Mid-flight, it just makes your bird descend and yaw anti-clockwise).

Actually, the CSC is both sticks down + in, which will kill the motors mid-flight or on the ground. The single left-stick down+in will only kill your motors when stationary on the ground after about 2 seconds. (Mid-flight, it just makes your bird descend and yaw anti-clockwise).

No need to go full throttle down+in. Just full throttle down

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Actually, the CSC is both sticks down + in, which will kill the motors mid-flight or on the ground.
That's correct.

The single left-stick down+in will only kill your motors when stationary on the ground after about 2 seconds.
There is no such thing as a single left-stick down+in.

Yeah, I think maybe it was a copy paste type-O.

I did not know this. Twice now I've tipped over while trying to shut down doing CSC but now I will do it this way.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj