Brand new P4 battery not charging

Reaction score
Not sure what's wrong but this is what's happening.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It's defective. Return it and get a replacement.

Have to love Best Buy for immediate replacements! :)

Personally, I wish they get rid of the intelligent or smart batteries and just supply a battery like the old electrics had or even their S1000. Put the smarts into the charger as well as the discharge, testing, etc. and just provide the battery where one could measure the actual voltages if needed, or provide a jump-start to get the current chargers to operate again if the things are too dead from sitting on a shelf someplace. Too much electronics on the battery itself to go bad, imho. Racers have some very intelligent chargers which work well enough for them and they can pack a larger battery in the space where the electronic batteries go too. Nothing like making something so complex it will eventually fail from being over-designed.

Reactions: Jerbyana
I absolutely love Best Buy (I wish they would get with the times and stock some more P4 accessories). But it just sucks I have a 20 minute drive in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I had a similar issue with a battery, but I was using a charging hub. I put the battery in the bird (props off), and fired up my tablet, controller and then the bird. Let it all come on line, and then shut it down in reverse order, and it fixed the problem. Good luck.

The battery is surely low, but it should have enough power to briefly power up the systems.

There are videos out there with the Li-po batteries in phones being dead from sitting too long and will not charge. Voltage drops so low the charger doesn't even sense the battery being plugged into it. What they do is dismantle enough of the battery to put a charger right on the cell terminals themselves to get an initial charge so the charger can sense the battery and begin charging.

Maybe they need to add some direct charging jack to these intelligent batteries, or go back to the old school "Just a battery" and a separate intelligent charger.

Just got my replacement battery from Adorama, seems this one is dead also. What's the deal with these lipo batteries, so far it has been my worst experience with DJI stuff.

MADE IN CHINA. No quality control. Plus, it's part of the new/old wave of the warranty service business models that corp's are using to generate revenue (read: fleece) customers. They hedge their bets against the consumers actually returning defective products.

Ciao, same issue with a 4 cycles of charge... my cause a half glass water go up the battery during the charge.
Result first a short circuit ( the 2nd led blink 3 time), immediately I had turn off the power. Dryed 5 minutes with hair dryer but the problem to be continue until long time ... tyred I give kick a my battery and then will try to charging and I had same your problem...the led work but the battery not charge! Yeeeessss, 2 days after I send back the battery and then 5 days more I have a new battery! Yeeesss

Gee thinking of getting a Phantom 4 soon but these issues with P4 batteries is a turn off...I guess its the luck of the draw if you receive a working one or not. not good enough DJI !

MADE IN CHINA. No quality control. Plus, it's part of the new/old wave of the warranty service business models that corp's are using to generate revenue (read: fleece) customers. They hedge their bets against the consumers actually returning defective products.

I'm not chinese, nor do I live in China, but the blanket, "Made in China" comment isn't an answer, it's an all too common knee jerk response. Your drone is made in China, along with your i phone and the batteries installed. The problem of quality control is not a Chinese problem, it is a corporate problem. DJI is an independent entity without corporate shareholders. The incentive to produce a better battery comes from the top. I really doubt they are trying fleece customers by hedging the bets on returns. Thus the purpose of class action lawsuits and recalls.

I am curious, is the high battery failure issue also seen in the new Mavic pro drone?

Is this a universal battery issue in drones, or only with the DJI Phantom 4

DJI has every reason to make the highest quality batteries possible - since bad batteries = crashes = less drones sold, investigations, bans on sale, etc. Look at the hover board debacle and the Karma...

Lots of people debate third party batteries, and this is one of my arguments for using genuine stuff. Of course, everyone has defective units from time to time - which is why returning that battery is the best idea. In fact, if anything even smells funny about your aircraft, batteries, or controller, it is prudent to investigate and take action before you fly.

This battery thing is a real sore spot for me. I live in Mexico. Ordered a P4 battery off of the DJI website and selected my location as Mexico. Battery price went up $59 when Mexico was selected ($189 total) but assumed that it would ship from a Mexico location. Shipped from Atlanta and after 10-days received a DOA battery. No returned email and hours on the phone because someone did not push a button to make sure it worked. The DJI rep said "oh you have a DOA" as if it was not uncommon. Then they sent me paperwork by email that said I had to send it back to be repaired and I had to pay the shipping. So now I paid $60 to ship it back and am hoping I get a working battery someday.

Morale of the story: After reading numerous posts it is clear that DJI Builds a great drone but is known for poor customer service. If you want to order a battery use an authorized DJI ebay store or Amazon store. They will remedy your situation very fast because they do not want their seller rating damaged. That is my take anyway.

Reactions: Lescenatt
This battery thing is a real sore spot for me. I live in Mexico. Ordered a P4 battery off of the DJI website and selected my location as Mexico. Battery price went up $59 when Mexico was selected ($189 total) but assumed that it would ship from a Mexico location. Shipped from Atlanta and after 10-days received a DOA battery. No returned email and hours on the phone because someone did not push a button to make sure it worked. The DJI rep said "oh you have a DOA" as if it was not uncommon. Then they sent me paperwork by email that said I had to send it back to be repaired and I had to pay the shipping. So now I paid $60 to ship it back and am hoping I get a working battery someday.

Morale of the story: After reading numerous posts it is clear that DJI Builds a great drone but is known for poor customer service. If you want to order a battery use an authorized DJI ebay store or Amazon store. They will remedy your situation very fast because they do not want their seller rating damaged. That is my take anyway.
here in Italy costing 189euro including shipping ... warranty on batteries for up to two months. if something goes wrong they are replaced without fuss

I am prefacing my quote by suggesting that the moderators who supervise this forum have a "sticky thread" at the top of the forum called, "Phantom 4 bad batteries". This would be similar to combining all the "My range is too short" thread. A thread that placed all the multiple bad battery threads.together would increase the exposure of this issue. Since the web is universally searchable, perhaps DJI would finally address this issue.

This bad battery problem appears to be not necessarily a problem from just third party sellers, as it appears with authorized DJI dealers. It is an issue that is not fake batteries, just bad batteries. And, having had my own issue, there is no code, box, or number on the battery that lets one identify a bad lot. The only way is to get the battery and try to charge it.

There have been some posting of "hacks" that suggest putting it in the drone, power it up, and then try to charge. However, in my case, the battery was dead and wouldn't do a thing. And this was from an authorized DJI dealer.

Reactions: Photoflash
I am prefacing my quote by suggesting that the moderators who supervise this forum have a "sticky thread" at the top of the forum called, "Phantom 4 bad batteries". This would be similar to combining all the "My range is too short" thread. A thread that placed all the multiple bad battery threads.together would increase the exposure of this issue. Since the web is universally searchable, perhaps DJI would finally address this issue.

This bad battery problem appears to be not necessarily a problem from just third party sellers, as it appears with authorized DJI dealers. It is an issue that is not fake batteries, just bad batteries. And, having had my own issue, there is no code, box, or number on the battery that lets one identify a bad lot. The only way is to get the battery and try to charge it.

There have been some posting of "hacks" that suggest putting it in the drone, power it up, and then try to charge. However, in my case, the battery was dead and wouldn't do a thing. And this was from an authorized DJI dealer.
My battery are original! In Italy, see the dji battery sell on the dji store have a Red triangle! The p4 seller on Italy not have a Red triangle...also my battery purchase on line ( italian store ) is not a fake.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic