Brand new P3P - firmware update failure every way I've tried it.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm throwing in the towel after about 6 hours of fighting the firmware update the app says I need. I can update the controller just fine via the DJI Go App, but I can't get the phantom firmware to work. I've downloaded it countless times from DJI's website, formatted the card every way my Mac can, formatted it in the phantom, and tried other cards. I'm also getting an error when I try to move the .bin file to the card saying "error -36, some of the data cannot be transferred because it can't be read or written". I have a feeling this is what's causing the issue, but that will have to wait until I can get on a different computer to try downloading and unzipping it there. If anyone can offer pointers or get my P3P working on the newest firmware I'll be greatly appreciative!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Ryne ( not Ryan ),
Lol unique spelling!
( is it pronounced the same? )

Anyhow, where are you located?
Reason I ask, is I can or another local?, can send you a SD CARD, with the .bin already on it, so you can update, and just send the card back! Let me know?

This way we can get you in the air!

J Dot
:cool:

Hey Ryne ( not Ryan ),
Lol unique spelling!
( is it pronounced the same? )

Anyhow, where are you located?
Reason I ask, is I can or another local?, can send you a SD CARD, with the .bin already on it, so you can update, and just send the card back! Let me know?

This way we can get you in the air!

J Dot
:cool:

My name is pronounced in a similar way, but not the same, it's all one syllable - Ryan without the "a", phonetically.

I'm from York, Pennsylvania. If one of you would be willing to do that for me I would be extremely grateful!

Hi everyone, I'm throwing in the towel after about 6 hours of fighting the firmware update the app says I need. I can update the controller just fine via the DJI Go App, but I can't get the phantom firmware to work. I've downloaded it countless times from DJI's website, formatted the card every way my Mac can, formatted it in the phantom, and tried other cards. I'm also getting an error when I try to move the .bin file to the card saying "error -36, some of the data cannot be transferred because it can't be read or written". I have a feeling this is what's causing the issue, but that will have to wait until I can get on a different computer to try downloading and unzipping it there. If anyone can offer pointers or get my P3P working on the newest firmware I'll be greatly appreciative!

Welcome.

Was there an issue with your new P3P or was it flying well out of the box? What FW versions did you have on the AC and the RC when you first used it? What is on the RC now that you've updated it?

Just so you know, FW updates are optional so don't feel obligated to update if the app is telling you that new FW is available. It's your choice to make.

If you are interested, click here for several tips that I often share with new P3P/P3A owners.

Cheers sir!

Welcome.

Was there an issue with your new P3P or was it flying well out of the box? What FW versions did you have on the AC and the RC when you first used it? What is on the RC now that you've updated it?

Just so you know, FW updates are optional so don't feel obligated to update if the app is telling you that new FW is available. It's your choice to make.

If you are interested, click here for several tips that I often share with new P3P/P3A owners.

Cheers sir!

Hi, Oso.

The motors were arming and functioning straight out of the box. I figured I should update the firmware being that the firmware on the AC is older (1.3.20) and the RC had a (1.5) build.

It is currently functioning as it should now that I've downgraded the RC firmware back to (1.5). Hoping to squeeze my first flight in today after work!

The RC I have zero issue updating, but the AC refuses to take my update. The .txt file alongside the .bin file says corrupted every single time.

Thanks for your help!

Another thought I just had, if the .bin file will fit into an email, could one of you guys send me it, so that I could put it on a card and see if it would work that way? Might be a computer issue and not an AC issue?

Could just be me getting too excited about flying, but it seems like that should theoretically work!

Hi, Oso.

The motors were arming and functioning straight out of the box. I figured I should update the firmware being that the firmware on the AC is older (1.3.20) and the RC had a (1.5) build.

It is currently functioning as it should now that I've downgraded the RC firmware back to (1.5). Hoping to squeeze my first flight in today after work!

The RC I have zero issue updating, but the AC refuses to take my update. The .txt file alongside the .bin file says corrupted every single time.

Thanks for your help!

I see. You had AC 1.32 and RC 1.5 out of the box. It's great to hear that everything is currently functioning as it should.

FYI: AC FW 1.8 and RC FW 1.6 were released together with an encryption change. If you have one (or later), you must have the other (or later) or you will have issues. When you updated your RC to the latest FW which has the new encryption, you inadvertently created a mismatched encryption between your AC and your RC since your AC was still on the old encryption. Now that you've put your RC back to the old encryption, they are both the same again and everything can function normally.

With the above in mind, if you now update your AC to the latest FW you will again create a mismatch unless you also again update your RC to 1.6 or later.

I hope that made some sort of sense. I'm just trying to give you some data to consider to help you make your decision.

Side note - AC FW 1.32 was prior to the intelligent flight modes. If you desire those features, one of the things you'll need is 1.4 or later on your AC. Just another data point to consider.

I see. You had AC 1.32 and RC 1.5 out of the box. It's great to hear that everything is currently functioning as it should.

FYI: AC FW 1.8 and RC FW 1.6 were released together with an encryption change. If you have one (or later), you must have the other (or later) or you will have issues. When you updated your RC to the latest FW which has the new encryption, you inadvertently created a mismatched encryption between your AC and your RC since your AC was still on the old encryption. Now that you've put your RC back to the old encryption, they are both the same again and everything can function normally.

With the above in mind, if you now update your AC to the latest FW you will again create a mismatch unless you also again update your RC to 1.6 or later.

I hope that made some sort of sense. I'm just trying to give you some data to consider to help you make your decision.

Side note - AC FW 1.32 was prior to the intelligent flight modes. If you desire those features, one of the things you'll need is 1.4 or later on your AC. Just another data point to consider.

Thanks, Oso!

I plan on getting it running 1.10 on the AC, and 1.8 on the RC. I would like to have the intelligent flight modes available should I need them, but can live without while learning to fly.

I couldn,t get my p3a I bought used to download from sd card went on utube to Marionville Multirotors they told me how to do it with usb cable from computer worked perfect

Thanks, Oso!

I plan on getting it running 1.10 on the AC, and 1.8 on the RC. I would like to have the intelligent flight modes available should I need them, but can live without while learning to fly.

unsure if fixed they fixed it ,since I am staying on 1.6 rc fw
many had video sparkle/banding type issues when updated RC to 1.8 from 1.6
fix was to go back to 1.6.

at this point I have stopped updating all FW,
since mine works great on 1.6 ....

good luck and have fun flying!

Update for everyone who was throwing ideas my way, I've now tried downloading on 3 different computers. My work computer lets me get the furthest, but it's still failing every time I try to update it. I've tried the USB Transfer, micro sd, everything. Still nothing. I'm about to send it back and pre-order a mavic.

Update for everyone who was throwing ideas my way, I've now tried downloading on 3 different computers. My work computer lets me get the furthest, but it's still failing every time I try to update it. I've tried the USB Transfer, micro sd, everything. Still nothing. I'm about to send it back and pre-order a mavic.

let me see if I got it correct:

you have downloaded, the BIN file for update.
used several pc and downloaded many times.
you have extracted the bin file on the SD card.
the file extracted ok and can be seem in file manager of pc on sd card.

you have the bin file on the sd card and power up the quad
and it begins but doesn't finish update?

what if anything did I miss

let me see if I got it correct:

you have downloaded, the BIN file for update.
used several pc and downloaded many times.
you have extracted the bin file on the SD card.
the file extracted ok and can be seem in file manager of pc on sd card.

you have the bin file on the sd card and power up the quad
and it begins but doesn't finish update?

what if anything did I miss

You didn't miss anything, I've tried multiple cards and computers, even 2 different internet connections. The AC will go into update mode, and fail between 1 and 5 minutes.

You didn't miss anything, I've tried multiple cards and computers, even 2 different internet connections. The AC will go into update mode, and fail between 1 and 5 minutes.

what does the log file say , anything.

what about the error message 36 you mentioned ,,,where does that come into play

and just have to ask if you have the correct update file, and does it extract ok
an is the extracted file on ROOT directory of the sd card vs in a folder

also have you tested the sd drive by recording a video and see if that plays back ok

also as I said I haved updated recently so I cant remember for sure but I think when updating the quad FW, the RC is supposed to be off and not on

what does the log file say , anything.

what about the error message 36 you mentioned ,,,where does that come into play

and just have to ask if you have the correct update file, and does it extract ok
an is the extracted file on ROOT directory of the sd card vs in a folder

also have you tested the sd drive by recording a video and see if that plays back ok

also as I said I haved updated recently so I cant remember for sure but I think when updating the quad FW, the RC is supposed to be off and not on

I've followed the instructions for updating from DJI to a T. Extracted file gets put into the root directory every time. Log file is either a bunch of random characters, or it says update failed on it. I'm packing it up to ship it back in favor of a mavic once I get it home, unless I can figure this out while having downtime at work.

I've followed the instructions for updating from DJI to a T. Extracted file gets put into the root directory every time. Log file is either a bunch of random characters, or it says update failed on it. I'm packing it up to ship it back in favor of a mavic once I get it home, unless I can figure this out while having downtime at work.

try update with remote control off if you have not
no harm no foal

I've tried with the remote off all times except for once. Still failed. I'm really at wits end with this thing.

only thing I would do/have done that is verify the sd reader in gimbal with a video test.
if no video, or poor results then the card reader in gimbal is culprit most likely

good luck!

only thing I would do/have done that is verify the sd reader in gimbal with a video test.
if no video, or poor results then the card reader in gimbal is culprit most likely

good luck!

I've shot video and multiple still photos on the card. Worked just fine. I'm not sure what is going on with it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl