Brand new DJI Phantom 2 - no GPS? Flashing yellow....

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have both the DJI Phantom 1 (registers fine with GPS, all green) and just picked up the Phantom 2 no-vision.

Out the box, I cannot get the P2 to register with any GPS signals, the unit constantly blinks yellow. I have not seen one green blink what-so-ever. My P1 registers right-away and picks up satellites within 10-15 seconds however the P2 (same location) just blinks yellow (I even let it sit for 30 minutes outside).

Is there something going on with this unit? I plugged the unit into the PC and it syncs fine, sees the unit.

I've tried resetting the unit (power cycling), tried different locations to sync the GPS, tried multiple times to re-calibrate the GPS (switching in the ATT/GPS ).. Nothing.... All connectors are plugged in and even tried unplugging the GPS connector and plugging it back in..

The unit is brand new, literally 2 hours out the box from BHPHOTO.

Let me know ASAP

Is it possible youre starting up and have your S1 switch in ATTI mode (right switch-middle position)?

GundoLarry said:
Is it possible youre starting up and have your S1 switch in ATTI mode (right switch-middle position)?

It's always set to GPS mode before even powering on the controller.

Can this unit be DOA? Unless I'm missing something...

gordhunt said:
Did you do a compass calibration?

Sent from my S4

That's the first thing I do, when in calibration mode the lights are steady green, then goes back into flashing yellow afterwards.

Ive only flown my Phantom2 non-vision twice and both times it flashed yellow until I was airborne then got the green. I was gonna ask on here about that as well. Have you tried taking off and getting in the air?

I find the GPS lock doesn't always sync quickly. I turn off the transmitter and wait the P2 to show the signal loss then turn on the transmitter and GPS lock happens instantly.

Still yet, should be locking up and flashing green without having to go airborne or cycling the remote controller power switch (or any other trick). I wonder if DJI knows that this is happening and working on a fix?

UFOwithaGoPro said:
Ive only flown my Phantom2 non-vision twice and both times it flashed yellow until I was airborne then got the green. I was gonna ask on here about that as well. Have you tried taking off and getting in the air?

Yes, it flies fine but cannot get it to hover (does not stay still, constantly moves), meaning no GPS? Even while in air, the lights are yellow.

I took a few screen-shots of what I am seeing in the software, see attachment (GPS shows 0? Doesn't show any loader information for GPS and controller)... Is this normal?

rrpgcl.jpg

2e3a32q.jpg

I've found that flashing yellow can me a lot of things.

It can mean the the RC transmitter is not calibrated to the Phantom.

Have you updated the RC transmitter firmware to match any changes to the Phantom firmware.

I know when you update the RC transmitter and you need to re-calibrate both the RC transmitter and also the phantom. I"m not sure what happens if you update the phantom and don't update the RC transmitter.

Also.
I'm 99% sure this isn't the problem, as you can fly it. But look underneath on the right side of the Phantom, there is a small green LED. If its not green all the time, e.g. flashing green, or going between green and red or flashing red, there is a problem between the RC transmitter and the receiver in the Phantom.
I had a defective RC transmitter unit that kept cutting in and out, and the light would go from green to red and back to green.

Also.. With the Assistant software, you could try switching into Naza mode, this then show the status of the IOC switch as well as the GPS switch. Check both of these are in a usable range (not at the end of the scale / slider), if the GPS one is at the end of the scale it will report being in GPS mode, but it will flash yellow all the time.

Bayarea650 said:
UFOwithaGoPro said:

Yes, it flies fine but cannot get it to hover (does not stay still, constantly moves), meaning no GPS? Even while in air, the lights are yellow.

I took a few screen-shots of what I am seeing in the software, see attachment (GPS shows 0? Doesn't show any loader information for GPS and controller)... Is this normal?

rrpgcl.jpg

2e3a32q.jpg

You need to go into NAZA mode by clicking the gray Phantom 2 button in the upper-right. A prompt will come up saying that you need to be sure you're ready because this is going to get you in an advanced mode - just say yes to that. Then, go to the "Advanced" tab and program the S1 and S2 switches how you want them. Most people have S1 as GPS/Atti/Failsafe. Test all of that out by making sure the manipulation of your S1/S2 switches changes the selection on the screen.

Then run through a full recalibration of the sticks, obviously check out the transmitter via the RC Assistant software and do some calibrations there.

Be sure not to get too impatient when you're flying. Power on, do the compass calibration, wait for BOTH sets of rapid green LED flashes so you know the GPS is fully locked on and you should be all set.

Good luck!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

RogerClark said:
I've found that flashing yellow can me a lot of things.

It can mean the the RC transmitter is not calibrated to the Phantom.

Have you updated the RC transmitter firmware to match any changes to the Phantom firmware.

I know when you update the RC transmitter and you need to re-calibrate both the RC transmitter and also the phantom. I"m not sure what happens if you update the phantom and don't update the RC transmitter.

Also.
I'm 99% sure this isn't the problem, as you can fly it. But look underneath on the right side of the Phantom, there is a small green LED. If its not green all the time, e.g. flashing green, or going between green and red or flashing red, there is a problem between the RC transmitter and the receiver in the Phantom.
I had a defective RC transmitter unit that kept cutting in and out, and the light would go from green to red and back to green.

Also.. With the Assistant software, you could try switching into Naza mode, this then show the status of the IOC switch as well as the GPS switch. Check both of these are in a usable range (not at the end of the scale / slider), if the GPS one is at the end of the scale it will report being in GPS mode, but it will flash yellow all the time.

Yes, I downloaded the DJI RC Assistant and have updated the firmware on the transmitter. Still no go, I've tried re-calibrating my transmitter (sticks and the switches)...

Ughhh :evil:

Since you have a P1 already, you know the different modes. With the P2, you need to switch to Naza mode (top right) to enable the same modes you normally have on the P1 (GPS, ATTI, IOC, etc.). Once you do, confirm the Phantom Assistant says GPS mode in the bottom left. If it doesn't say GPS, then you may have an issue. Confirm S1 position for each mode in the appropriate calibration screen.

Fink said:
Bayarea650 said:
UFOwithaGoPro said:

rrpgcl.jpg

2e3a32q.jpg

You need to go into NAZA mode by clicking the gray Phantom 2 button in the upper-right. A prompt will come up saying that you need to be sure you're ready because this is going to get you in an advanced mode - just say yes to that. Then, go to the "Advanced" tab and program the S1 and S2 switches how you want them. Most people have S1 as GPS/Atti/Failsafe. Test all of that out by making sure the manipulation of your S1/S2 switches changes the selection on the screen.

Then run through a full recalibration of the sticks, obviously check out the transmitter via the RC Assistant software and do some calibrations there.

Be sure not to get too impatient when you're flying. Power on, do the compass calibration, wait for BOTH sets of rapid green LED flashes so you know the GPS is fully locked on and you should be all set.

Good luck!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

So I went into the advanced mode of this SW, calibrated the sticks, S1 S2 switches and now I get one green flash and 3 red flashes right away.

Also the unit no longer goes into compass calibration mode (switching from GPS to ATTI 6-10 times)... I need to move around Phantom to get the unit to get into GPS calibration mode (solid yellow)..

Even after GPS calibration, I get one green and three rapid red flashes....

I am almost ready to box this up and return..

Also is there a reason why when switching to Nazam (advanced) mode on the SW enables one blinking green?

I just switched back to normal mode (Phantom mode) on the SW and now it's back to flashing yellow only...

Unless I am missing something?

Bayarea650 said:
Also is there a reason why when switching to Nazam (advanced) mode on the SW enables one blinking green?

I just switched back to normal mode (Phantom mode) on the SW and now it's back to flashing yellow only...

Did you read my post?

ianwood said:
Since you have a P1 already, you know the different modes. With the P2, you need to switch to Naza mode (top right) to enable the same modes you normally have on the P1 (GPS, ATTI, IOC, etc.). Once you do, confirm the Phantom Assistant says GPS mode in the bottom left. If it doesn't say GPS, then you may have an issue. Confirm S1 position for each mode in the appropriate calibration screen.

Once you're done with that, you need to figure out if your GPS is working normally. Keep it back in Naza mode, take it outside and wait 10 minutes at least. You'll get green and red. The number of reds tells you how many GPS sats you're getting. See the chart. Once you get two sets of fast green, then calibrate the compass.

Follow the instructions I've given you and you'll know what's going otherwise you'll just be spinning in circles.

naza-mode-lights.jpg

Ian beat me to the reply

One green and 2 red indicate waiting for GPS to acquire satellites (i.e it has less than 5, - probably none as you are indoors)

Take it outside, to somewhere that has an unobstructed view of a lot of the sky, not just a courtyard or between 2 buildings (as it may not be receive enough satellites with buildings etc in the way), also there can be problems with GPS under big trees with a lot of leaves.

You will probably see 12 short green flashes in between the Green Red Red or Green .... Red. This doesnt mean its found its home position in Naza mode, its just indicating it knows what its "forward direction" (I presume this is related to the compass)

The second set of quick flashing greens, means Home Point has been found.

If this doesn't happen after about 10 mins max, I suspect the GPS or the Naza is defective.

ianwood said:
Bayarea650 said:

Did you read my post?

ianwood said:

Once you're done with that, you need to figure out if your GPS is working normally. Keep it back in Naza mode, take it outside and wait 10 minutes at least. You'll get green and red. The number of reds tells you how many GPS sats you're getting. See the chart. Once you get two sets of fast green, then calibrate the compass.

Follow the instructions I've given you and you'll know what's going otherwise you'll just be spinning in circles.

naza-mode-lights.jpg

Yes I did, I even tried calibrating the switches many times afterwards in NAZA mode.

The screen shows GPS on the bottom when the switch is on GPS.

I took the unit outside, tried calibrating the GPS, kept flashing ONE green and THREE rapid reds.

I let it sit outside for at least 15 minutes (I even took it in a different location outside). Still same sequence (one green and three red flashes).

I tried flying and the unit goes haywire, does not hover, moves around.

I'll try calling DJI support tomorrow..

Thanks guys for your help..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers