Brand new bird, will not calibrate....

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the site, but not to quads. This is my second Phantom, my first one.....well...that's another story. Got my new bird today at Target. Charged batteries and updated firmware. Went outside to calibrate IMU and compass. IMU went fine, compass will not complete. The first step went fine, but the second step always results in flashing yellow/red lights. Tried in two different areas, no metal around, no cell phone in hand etc...my first Phantom calibrated and was in the air in minutes, this one just will not do it. The screen constantly says Lost Signal in red. Any ideas?

I'm done fighting with it. It's going back to Target tomorrow.

Took it back today and got a different one. So far so good. Compass took literally 5 seconds to calibrate. Now my only issue is losing RC signal and the bird returning home after only 100 or so feet.

Sounds to me that you don't know what you are doing. At least you should tell us what model it is, what phone/tablet you are using etc.
Well it is a Standard.

Took it back today and got a different one. So far so good. Compass took literally 5 seconds to calibrate. Now my only issue is losing RC signal and the bird returning home after only 100 or so feet.

Welcome to the Forum!, sorry probably to late for that.

New remote and Bird, so its activating RTH, My first impression take it back and try a third.
Did you do any firmware updates? No matter what if you go for a third, try it before you do any firmware updates.

This link is based on problems related to poor signal from the remote after firmware updates (ONLY).
Terrible signal performance

Here this link of my thoughts now on Firmware Updates.
Terrible signal performance

What did you have before?

Rod

I had a P3A first. I lost it in the sun and cratered a tree. Luckily I still have my Blade Chroma which is a "turn it on and fly" bird. Then I got the first P3P but it had a POS compass so I took it back and got a different P3P that calibrated perfectly in seconds. I have not updated any firmware on this one, and I chalk the poor signal up to trees. Took it out to an open area around a lake today and it did pretty good. Not Lightbridge good of course but better than it did before.

Holy cow I'm tired, forgive me. Bought a P3A crashed it. Bought a P3S with bad compass. Returned it and got a new P3S which flies well, just has short distance.

Sent from my Note 7...no it hasn't exploded yet.

Holy cow I'm tired, forgive me. Bought a P3A crashed it. Bought a P3S with bad compass. Returned it and got a new P3S which flies well, just has short distance.

Sent from my Note 7...no it hasn't exploded yet.
Funny!

If you had a P3A, I'm surprised you are using a P3S, I can't imagine you being happy, from what I have read.
I am not impressed with problems of the P3S, only thing I had before was a P2V+

Rod

OK guys .
Just cleaned this thread up . Please do not be argumentative .
Try reading our guidelines here before you post being you are both new Community Guidelines
Think.jpg

Funny!

If you had a P3A, I'm surprised you are using a P3S, I can't imagine you being happy, from what I have read.
I am not impressed with problems of the P3S, only thing I had before was a P2V+

Rod
I agree. Chadrob, I doubt if you'll ever be happy with a P3 standard after owning a P3A. If you can, get a total refund from Target and buy another P3A. Then you should have an extra controller you can mod with a nice Itelite DBS2.2 antenna!

I agree. Chadrob, I doubt if you'll ever be happy with a P3 standard after owning a P3A. If you can, get a total refund from Target and buy another P3A. Then you should have an extra controller you can mod with a nice Itelite DBS2.2 antenna!
It was a matter of money really. I saved up enough to buy the Advanced and due to pilot error I crashed it. Started saving for another one but just couldn't wait til I had enough built back up and went with the Standard. I may take it back and keep saving, who knows.

It was a matter of money really. I saved up enough to buy the Advanced and due to pilot error I crashed it. Started saving for another one but just couldn't wait til I had enough built back up and went with the Standard. I may take it back and keep saving, who knows.
If you can get a refund from Target, call Mike Holt. He's offers used P3s for sale. Buy just the craft since you have the P3 controller, charger and battery already. Mike repairs Phantoms and has lots of parts and craft.
(530) 277-5366

Reactions: chadrob30
If you can get a refund from Target, call Mike Holt. He's offers used P3s for sale. Buy just the craft since you have the P3 controller, charger and battery already. Mike repairs Phantoms and has lots of parts and craft.
(530) 277-5366
Thanks for the tip!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20