Bought open box, need help checking out flight logs

Reaction score
Just bought an open box P3A, have ~15 days to return it.

I noticed that the back rotors had a couple of nics (warning sign #1) and that there is a little scuff on the back of the phantom. (warning sign #2)

I decided before trying to power up and go for a flight I should see if there are leftover flight logs on the device...I see about a months worth of flights. (About 10-12 total)

I could use some help discerning if there was a problem with the drone...can anyone assist? What files are needed? DAT, CSV, Config/log text files?

The logs on the Phantom are only going to show what happened during each flight. I suppose you could review the DAT flight logs in great detail to see if any of them indicate the Phantom was crashed. However, if you know what a Phantom should look like and how it should fly, a visual inspection and flight test would probably be sufficient.

Reactions: dirkclod
The logs on the Phantom are only going to show what happened during each flight. I suppose you could review the DAT flight logs in great detail to see if any of them indicate the Phantom was crashed. However, if you know what a Phantom should look like and how it should fly, a visual inspection and flight test would probably be sufficient.

Thanks, is there any value in looking at the last flight to see if if any errors appeared in the logs? I'm not too familiar with them so I doubt I'd be able to pick up anything subtle.

This is my first phantom so I don't know how well it should fly but the visual inspection shows some signs of use but nothing glaring in terms of major signs of impact (scuffs yes dings/cracks no.)

What I'm really looking for is a way to test/check it out before taking it up into the air where I could run into a major problem and do any real damage.

Can you post detailed photos of the damage you found?

Can you post detailed photos of the damage you found?

Images below, please let me know if you'd like more or more detail.

Overall it seems to be normal use to me, but some bumps along the way. I'm happy to replace propellers (probably a smart idea anyway) but just want to make sure there aren't any red flags before I give it a more thorough workout (and potentially crash it.)

Thank you so much for your input.

Back Right (Nic/Scuff)
IMG_20160624_002541.jpg

Back Left
(Nic/Scuff)

IMG_20160624_002553.jpg

Front Left (small nic)
IMG_20160624_002609.jpg

View from behind (No damage visible)

IMG_20160624_002743.jpg

Back Feet (Scuffs like it was dragged on ground)

IMG_20160624_002807.jpg

Propellers(Minor scratches/chips on ends, looks like it had an impact with something.)

IMG_20160624_003028.jpg

A lot of new flyers try to do a CSC after landing to turn off the motors (holding the left stick down instead is best). When not done cleanly, the Phantom sometimes tips over and the props hit the ground. That appears to be what might have happened to your Phantom. If so, it's probably nothing to worry about (unless you cannot stand the cosmetic wear).

If I were you, I'd install the latest firmware to ensure the firmware can be installed properly. If needed, you can find detailed firmware instructions here. Firmware updates can fail if there is a damaged hardware component. If you're able to successfully update the firmware, then that would rule out that potential problem.

Next, I would do all of the calibrations in step #48 here and take it out for a few test flights. If it hovers in place, follows your commands, flies smoothly, etc., then it's probably good to go.

A lot of new flyers try to do a CSC after landing to turn off the motors (holding the left stick down instead is best). When not done cleanly, the Phantom sometimes tips over and the props hit the ground. That appears to be what might have happened to your Phantom. If so, it's probably nothing to worry about (unless you cannot stand the cosmetic wear).

If I were you, I'd install the latest firmware to ensure the firmware can be installed properly. If needed, you can find detailed firmware instructions here. Firmware updates can fail if there is a damaged hardware component. If you're able to successfully update the firmware, then that would rule out that potential problem.

Next, I would do all of the calibrations in step #48 here and take it out for a few test flights. If it hovers in place, follows your commands, flies smoothly, etc., then it's probably good to go.

Thanks for the advice.

I can stand some cosmetic damage if it saves me a couple hundred bucks (which is why I oped for the open box route) but wanted to rule out any non cosmetic damage.

It's going to be a week before I can take it into an open area and really put it through its paces but I'll definitely run through the firmware update, calibration and try and hover indoors for a few minutes before I leave for vacation to make sure nothing fails off the bat.

Thanks again for your quick responses and helpful info! Looking forward to jumping into the hobby!

and try and hover indoors for a few minutes
Unless you have a full-size gymnasium in your home, this is not a great idea. Many new flyers crash when trying to test their new Phantoms indoors.

Unless you have a full-size gymnasium in your home, this is not a great idea. Many new flyers crash when trying to test their new Phantoms indoors.

Noted.

I'll try and find some space. (In NYC so not the easiest task.)

And record some video and take a couple photos to verify the camera and gimbal are all chipper.

Myself, I wouldn't fly with that prop. It could be out of balance. I would spin up a fresh one. The P3 comes with a total of 8 props so you should have 4 more in a bag with it.

what are you talking about msinger?? i am a brand new inspire pilot and this was my maiden flight in a 16x16 room in my basement.... wink wink :D
scared the crap out of my wife (the one recording) when i took off.
yeah DO NOT fly inside for your first flight. a lot of things can go wrong and you can only run so far in a closed room.

anyways, here is a slo-mo inspire test flight inside but if you're novice DO NOT ATTEMPT this. go straight to 35sec

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well look at me, I came back here to post my video to find a bunch of DO NOT ATTEMPT posts...after I had (against better judgement) taken a short flight in my 9' x 9' entrance foyer. (I used the new props. I'll toss the used ones and get another set or two before going on my trip.)

I know it wasn't the smartest thing to do but I had been flying a blade nano qx around my tiny apartment in preparation of this purchase so I felt reasonably comfortable with the controls. (I know the power of this thing is night and day and thats putting it lightly.) I figured I'm within the return time frame so I'd rather know ASAP if theres anything wrong with it to take it back rather than agonize and wonder for the next week until I can try it in open space.

Net net is... it went fine. Hovered for a few second max, rotated and didn't notice any glaring problems. (Video below if anyone wants to give me some feedback and let me know if they notice anything I should worry about.)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.