Bought a phantom 3, destroyed in 2 hours later - next steps?

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Merry Christmas!

So I went to the Apple Store today and bought my own Christmas present! I got a Phantom 3 Professional.

Love it, it's amazing. I spent about an hour playing with it, recharged it, and decided I wanted to try the follow me feature in my car. I got it up in the air, got in my car, moved 5 feet, and it had hit a tree and plummeted to the ground!

So sad, but I'm an idiot for not being 100% sure I could clear the trees. So disappointed. But, thank god I have an amazing Visa card and my purchase is fully protected, so I don't have to pay to replace it/get a new one.

The damage appears to be mostly to the camera, which broke off and the lenses shattered. It seems beyond repair. But the drone itself seems to be okay - two blades broke, and the middle section that joins the top and bottom casings is slightly warped on one side, but other than that I think it still flies. I have to test it - still a bit shaken up lol.

My question is, given that I don't have to pay to fix it, what is the best route for me to proceed?

Should I take it back to Apple? Does apple fix it? Or do I need to send it to DJI? If so, how?

Should I just claim the entire thing as a write off and get a new one? I don't have a deductible with my visa's insurance, but the guy on the phone who started my claim said a claims adjuster will contact me and "would prefer that it be repaired" rather than replaced.

Any thoughts?

So sad because I wanted to play with it on Christmas Day. At least I got the crash recorded lol.

Thanks!

I think this depends on how your visa card protection works. I don't know if either apple or dji will take it back and issue a refund since it's user error so I would start by calling visa. It's probably similar to what would happen if you bought an ipad and then dropped it into the ocean and then took it back to apple.

Either way, good luck.

Hi, yes Seasonal salutations, even with your temporary hurt feelings.
Yes. If you buy the extra cost, Apple Instore insurance plan, they will replace it, free of charge. But you need to buy that protection, before you drop your iPad PRO, into the salty Dead Sea. The credit card insurance is likely a different ball of molten wax...

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Apple's not going to do anything about it, its not their product. If it were defective, they would exchange it probably. If Visa wants it repaired, you're going to need to send it to DJI, pay the repair estimate, and then Visa will issue you a statement credit for the amount of the repair, AFTER you pay it. If Visa chooses to replace it, they'll issue you a statement credit for the purchase price, and may possibly ask that the damaged one be returned (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't).

That being said, I really didn't think that Visa would cover negligent damage to a product, so I think you got lucky with whoever you spoke to (or possibly you told them it was 'defective'). Ask Visa for guidance.

That being said, I really didn't think that Visa would cover negligent damage to a product
And, if it does, I seriously need to get a new Visa card...

Please do not attempt to drive your car while the drone is following you. You are lucky that the only damage was to your drone.
Go to a big field or park and practice flying.
But to attempt to drive a car while trying to pay attention to something flying over your head is a recipe for disaster unless you are in the middle of a barren wasteland with no obstructions to either your drone or your car.

You wait for VISA to contact you and let you know what to do. I'd not count 100% on them addressing your loss.

If you do get another P3, PLEASE read the manual several times and watch a LOT of Youtube videos on how to fly. Follow me is very risky and trying getting it to follow your car is about the worse thing you can try... ever. It's almost guaranteeing a crash.

Reactions: Sinisalo
Firstly, do you have any prior experience flying a quad? If no, then go buy a cheap quad first such as a Syma X5C-1 and learn flying (and crashing) it first before you fly a Phantom.
That's of no help to his question .
Op welcome to the forum
You just learned a valuable lesson .

That's of no help to his question .
Op welcome to the forum
You just learned a valuable lesson .
I agree it's no help because RVD and Poker have already answered his question. I want to present another perspective because if he really has no experience flying a quad at all, getting a new replacement Phantom and flying the way he was again, he will end up with another broken Phantom. I don't think he will get a 3rd one for free the next time.

Thanks for the responses!

The card is the Visa Infinite Privilege and it has amazing insurance. I'm already talking to the adjuster and have submitted photos of the damage, etc.

I've just purchased a new 4k camera/gimbal from the DJI website. It was $539 USD (my Visa will reimburse this cost). Just a quick question though; this is the one I bought: Buy Phantom 3 Professional - 4K Gimbal Camera | DJI Store

Will this come with the necessary cable to connect the camera to the drone's body? I assume so, but just want to make sure (probably should have done this before buying...).

I did test the drone, and it flies perfectly fine, so it seems it was literally just the camera/gimbal that didn't survive the crash. So I'm imagining that I will get the new gimbal/camera, unscrew the old one, screw on the new one and connect the cables which HOPEFULLY come with the camera? Please tell me it will be that easy?

By the way, I did read all of the manuals, and I did get quite good at maneuvering it while I had it; while this accident was definitely pilot error (code for idiot), I DID assess my environment and adjust my height for the tree the drone hit, but, alas, I guess from my vantage point I couldn't see that indeed I needed more height.

Thanks!

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter
Ah, then you're all set. It comes with that cable installed.

Ah, then you're all set. It comes with that cable installed.
Oh, phew, okay thanks! Yea, I thought that would be a little mean of them to just ship the camera without that cable and expect you to buy it separately!

Hope everything works out. fine an open field and do some practicing. Those modes can be a bit tricky if you are new. Best of luck on next flight. Might recommend a gimbal guard.

Hopefully the assessor will refuse to pay out for the idiots claim (his words), IMO I think that it is an outrage that just because someone has a particular type of credit card that they will get reimbursed for their **** up. Was the P3 registered with the FAA, if not then the operator/owner/purchaser is breaking the rules and in the eyes of the law a criminal.

So I went to the Apple Store today and bought my own Christmas present! I got a Phantom 3 Professional.

Love it, it's amazing. I spent about an hour playing with it, recharged it, and decided I wanted to try the follow me feature in my car. I got it up in the air, got in my car, moved 5 feet, and it had hit a tree and plummeted to the ground!

So sad, but I'm an idiot for not being 100% sure I could clear the trees. So disappointed. But, thank god I have an amazing Visa card and my purchase is fully protected, so I don't have to pay to replace it/get a new one.

The damage appears to be mostly to the camera, which broke off and the lenses shattered. It seems beyond repair. But the drone itself seems to be okay - two blades broke, and the middle section that joins the top and bottom casings is slightly warped on one side, but other than that I think it still flies. I have to test it - still a bit shaken up lol.

My question is, given that I don't have to pay to fix it, what is the best route for me to proceed?

Should I take it back to Apple? Does apple fix it? Or do I need to send it to DJI? If so, how?

Should I just claim the entire thing as a write off and get a new one? I don't have a deductible with my visa's insurance, but the guy on the phone who started my claim said a claims adjuster will contact me and "would prefer that it be repaired" rather than replaced.

Any thoughts?

So sad because I wanted to play with it on Christmas Day. At least I got the crash recorded lol.

Thanks!

Are you serious?

Incredibly dumb idea and even worse, you followed up with dumb execution.

That's like getting on your first motorcycle ever, and saying "hmm, I wonder if I can pop a wheelie at 100 mph?". Then you crash your bike and crack a few ribs, and call up the dealership and say "But it broke! Give me a new one!".

Fly within your abilities. It is not a toy, it's a super light aircraft. Treat it as such. The fact that you think your judgement of the trees is at fault, and not your overall strategy belies your inexperience and lack of knowledge.

And if you must do dumb things, please do so in environments where you won't get caught and give everyone else here a bad name.

At least you're in Canada I assume...

Last edited:

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

:rolleyes:

This post is the EXACT reason why we have some of the stupid rules and laws we do. Its time we have a national test BEFORE anyone can use a UAV

Hopefully the assessor will refuse to pay out for the idiots claim (his words), IMO I think that it is an outrage that just because someone has a particular type of credit card that they will get reimbursed for their **** up. Was the P3 registered with the FAA, if not then the operator/owner/purchaser is breaking the rules and in the eyes of the law a criminal.

Why would you wish ill upon someone when it does not affect you at all? If your next door neighbor wants to give you $1000 should I rant about how terrible that is because you don't deserve it? No, I should wish you the best of luck and stop being so negative. Brighten up someone's day when it does not cost you anything.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4