Boscam LCD5802 Monitor Observations

Reaction score
After multiple flights with the FPV setup, I'm working out some bugs to get better reception. The basics:

Phantom 2 w/zemuse 2
GoPro 3+ Black
AVL58 TX w/DJI Cloverleaf Ant.
iOSD Mini
Boscam RX-LCD5802 monitor (dual receiver)

1. The monitor manual includes in the "Feature" section: "Not affect by 2.4GHz R/C Radios"
My situation: With the monitor mounted on the typical glass mounts to the controller (so 3" from the controller) The monitor is getting all kinds of interference; rolling/jumping horizontal lines and lots of static filling the screen. Also even with the monitor volume on "0", there is still some slight audible static that can be heard. With the monitor removed from the controller mount and held an arms length away, the image on the monitor clears up.

2. With only about 50 meters distance between the monitor and the P2, the monitor image is worthless.

3. With the AVL58 TX on a particular channel (example: Ch. 7 which is 5925MHz), the monitor, after initiating an automatic search, stops at D8 or C5 which, according to the monitors manual are 5880MHZ and 5885MHZ, respectively. Doesn't matter which channel on the AVL58 is chosen, the monitor locks in on a different channel freq. when an automatic search is initiated.

4. After full charge of the monitor (using a 1.5A adapter), turning the monitor on, it shows 2 out of 3 bars of charge, instead of all three bars.

5. The monitor manual says red LED during charging, green LED when charged. This monitor shows a blue LED when charged. Maybe they ran out of green led's at the factory? (the two adjacent RX lights are blue).

Anyone having any of these symtoms with a similar setup? Items 1 & 2 are the biggies. Can't get a decent picture on the monitor. Your input is welcome.

Gary E said:
After multiple flights with the FPV setup, I'm working out some bugs to get better reception. The basics:

Phantom 2 w/zemuse 2
GoPro 3+ Black
AVL58 TX w/DJI Cloverleaf Ant.
iOSD Mini
Boscam RX-LCD5802 monitor (dual receiver)

1. The monitor manual includes in the "Feature" section: "Not affect by 2.4GHz R/C Radios"
My situation: With the monitor mounted on the typical glass mounts to the controller (so 3" from the controller) The monitor is getting all kinds of interference; rolling/jumping horizontal lines and lots of static filling the screen. Also even with the monitor volume on "0", there is still some slight audible static that can be heard. With the monitor removed from the controller mount and held an arms length away, the image on the monitor clears up.

2. With only about 50 meters distance between the monitor and the P2, the monitor image is worthless.

3. With the AVL58 TX on a particular channel (example: Ch. 7 which is 5925MHz), the monitor, after initiating an automatic search, stops at D8 or C5 which, according to the monitors manual are 5880MHZ and 5885MHZ, respectively. Doesn't matter which channel on the AVL58 is chosen, the monitor locks in on a different channel freq. when an automatic search is initiated.

4. After full charge of the monitor (using a 1.5A adapter), turning the monitor on, it shows 2 out of 3 bars of charge, instead of all three bars.

5. The monitor manual says red LED during charging, green LED when charged. This monitor shows a blue LED when charged. Maybe they ran out of green led's at the factory? (the two adjacent RX lights are blue).

Anyone having any of these symtoms with a similar setup? Items 1 & 2 are the biggies. Can't get a decent picture on the monitor. Your input is welcome.

I have the same setup. I sent back to get a replacement 5802 because it's not switching on Diversity.

1. I did have the same issue but after switching channels I was able to eliminate the static/hum and able to mount directly on my controller
2. I was able to get past 50m but using Spironets. Still no where near 1K range which fatshark states is not a problem. I bought a circular polar high gain helical for one of the receivers but since I sent back for replacement I haven't tested. I am searching for the best alternative for the AVL-58. I think the problem is a combination of antennas between TX and RX.

3. I had problems searching and locking onto the channel also. I am waiting for the replacement so let's see what happens.

4. I don't think the battery level indicator is accurate. I did get full charge but it didn't last long... few seconds before a bar came down.

5. Yes. the LED is blue at full charge. I hate inaccurate instructions.

I'll let you low my findings once i get my monitor back and settle on a good antenna for the AVL-58

Oh and this is testing in my backyard in North NJ... soooo Maybe i'm expecting too much because my suburban is like some peoples urban. LOL lots of houses sitting on top of each other and i'm sure lots of wifi interferance.

Thanks for the info. I'm coming close to sending this back for a replacement. Too many issues with it. I'll try some ideas on it today, then decide what to do and do it on Monday.

I don't think it's totally the boscam's fault. I don't think it's the best... I think it's OK. I also am coming to the conclusion that the AVL-58 SUCKS... and takes a good antenna on both sides to make it work half way decent.

It's the price we pay for plug and play. I'm eventually switching to a immersion tx and receiver.

Good info. I have been wondering about the AVL58 myself. I've been using their cloverleaf TX & RX antennas, but still wonder about the Tx. I've read on other threads either on this forum or the RCgroups forum that the Boscam monitor and immerson Tx don't get along together, for whatever reason.

i don't know. I think by that time I'm going to scrap the AVL and Boscam. $300 bucks down the tubes.. MAYBE. I'm going to play with it for a while. so far I haven't had the need to go 1KM+ so not a total loss. Most of my use is within visual range and for photography only. I'm still using 1.8 firmware so all is good.

My next project is to make some sort of extreme FPV Quad/tricopter. More of a sports flyer FPV with goggles. For that I don't expect to need a Phantom. I'd be building from scratch and cost WAY less than the phantom.

Just tried wrapping aluminum foil around the the monitor and its antennas to see if would make any difference. No joy on that. The monitor works great until I turn on the Phantom RC.

find the best channel first. then experiment switching diversity and A and B...

May be on to something. Went through all the channel combos. AVL58 ch. 8 and Boscam C-1 give a clear image with no jumping horiz. bars. This all indoors. So after lunch (PST here - Oregon), in a few hours, I'll take it outside and see what I get with distance.

Yeah... i think higher frequency is probably best. someone wrote that here in the US the block of AVL 58 frequencies have a lot of interference and he was in AZ! You are in Oregon so i'm not sure how it affects you coupled with the fact that i think the AVL58 is only 500mw?

Yes, the AVL58 is 500MW. I figured it is plenty of power based on this guys opinion:

"...With the helical antenna, you can boost your video range 2 to 3 times further compared to the stock antenna (in optimal condition, you can get over 3 miles range with the helical antenna and 400mw VTX, which will well exceed your 2.4G radio's range)...we got 5.1km range with the helical antenna and a 400mw video transmitter and the video is still perfect. The reason we do not use a higher-powered VTX is the excessive power will affect the control signal of the plane. Another reason is for any higher-powered VTX, the range of your 2.4G transmitter will become the bottle-neck. So the 400mw provide the best balance for the range, the power consumption, minimum signal interference, and light weight..."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25138609502...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_951wt_1124

Thanks for the link. Yes, I read it all. I currently have the last post on it. But no response from anyone there as yet.

Some improving results.

Testing all channels options between the P2 and the Boscam monitor results in a good video image on the screen utilizing AVL58 channel 8 (5945) and the auto search function of the monitor picked channel C-1 (5705). It has a good video image with no jumping/rolling horizontal bars and no weak signal indications.

However, the signal gets real weak, thus a crummy monitor image, at about 100 meters AGL in height with a horizontal distance of 30 meters, so lots of improvement to be had there. The monitor is using the DJI Cloverleaf and the stock Boscam stick antennas. I'll be testing other antennas (helical) for a better signal.

Testing the monitor battery, I ran it to 1 hour when the low battery level started blinking. Helipal states a 2 hour battery life. As I reported previously, after a full charge, only 2 of the 3 battery bars are lit. Still the same situation, but it does operate on showing only 1 bar for a long time. Maybe the included battery is not so good.

Maybe the monitor will be a keeper afterall.

Nice. I like the helical on the rx side. I have spironet on tx. Had dji clover leaf. I have a pinwheel coming. So hopefully get results I'm looking for.

Please keep us posted on your findings. I just ordered the same boscam monitor, and am now worried. I also have an avl58 TX.

I too have the same setup you have. AVL58 using the Boscam Rx-5802... and so far I am not impressed. It pales in comparison to my old Phantom 1 setup where I was using an ARRIS CM2000 gimbal, Immersion 600w transmitter, and fat shark attitude goggles. As bulky and messy as that old setup was, its ran circles around this new one I have. See my post at viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13377

Some things to consider when testing:

You can try a common mode filter inline to on the power to vtx- that will help with lines in picture and interference.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... cts_id=533

Regarding range on a vtx- wattage does not necessarily equal power and distance- PROPER wattage is what you seek. If you are feeding that vtx with 11.4v and it has a sweet spot of say, 3.3v or 5v then it is not going to work efficiently, and in fact will perform worse than designed. You can fine tune that voltage by using this:
http://www.pololu.com/product/2118

Hiway said:
Some things to consider when testing:

You can try a common mode filter inline to on the power to vtx- that will help with lines in picture and interference.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... cts_id=533

Regarding range on a vtx- wattage does not necessarily equal power and distance- PROPER wattage is what you seek. If you are feeding that vtx with 11.4v and it has a sweet spot of say, 3.3v or 5v then it is not going to work efficiently, and in fact will perform worse than designed. You can fine tune that voltage by using this:
http://www.pololu.com/product/2118

Have no idea. It's just feeding from the phantom power through the dji fpv hub.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik