Body Kits?

Reaction score
I've done a quick search but nothing came up, I love my Phantom but ergonomically speaking compared to something like the Yuneek Q500 it's looks stink, it's just a flying cross. I can't believe that after all this time that some Chinese entrepreneur hasn't sussed out that there is money to be made coming out with an alternative stylish body kit that every thing can be simply swapped straight over to from the Phantom body?

ergonomically speaking compared to something like the Yuneek Q500 it's looks stink, it's just a flying cross.

This makes no sense. Ergonomically speaking? Something that is ergonomic is "intended to provide optimum comfort and to avoid stress or injury."

I can't believe that after all this time that some Chinese entrepreneur hasn't sussed out that there is money to be made coming out with an alternative stylish body kit

I can believe it. Probably because the market for it is very small.

No thanks.

Sorry, it's late over here. I was thinking it's not very aesthetically pleasing, why I put "ergonomically speaking" is beyond me, my train of thought must have wandered momentarily. There are lots of 3rd party manufacturers putting out all sorts of mods for the Phantom, leg retracts, carbon props etc I'm sure if someone brought out a futuristic looking body kit it would sell like hot cakes, I'd buy it for sure. Hell! I just paid $249 plus $30 P&P and then another £45 import duty and taxes when it got to England for a retract kit. Expensive but I love it when they go up and just leave the camera hanging down like the Inspire, just wish the gimbal was 360 degree so I could take advantage of being legless :roll:

Mick Emmett said:
Sorry, it's late over here. I was thinking it's not very aesthetically pleasing, why I put "ergonomically speaking" is beyond me, my train of thought must have wandered momentarily. There are lots of 3rd party manufacturers putting out all sorts of mods for the Phantom, leg retracts, carbon props etc I'm sure if someone brought out a futuristic looking body kit it would sell like hot cakes, I'd buy it for sure. Hell! I just paid $249 plus $30 P&P and then another £45 import duty and taxes when it got to England for a retract kit. Expensive but I love it when they go up and just leave the camera hanging down like the Inspire, just wish the gimbal was 360 degree so I could take advantage of being legless :roll:
Leg retracts are often used to avoid capturing the landing gear while shooting (especially when shooting wide). Arguably, carbon fiber props have a functional (or dysfunctional) purpose.

Mick Emmett said:
Sorry! Andrey320 but I have no idea what that statement means, is something like a GT Phantom with go faster stripes and nitro ;)

Ricer is a slang term used to describe Asian, usually Japanese, cars that are excessively modded with aesthetic pieces to make them appear and/or sound faster. Typically, it is a derogatory term used to describe Asian cars that are modded distastefully and usually without performance improvements.

This all said, I'm not disagreeing with you. The Phantom's body is rather boring. I "riced" my Phantom out with a decal. I think it looks better, but no performance gains are to be expected. In "ricer" world, decals are usually worth at least 15 horsepower. :)

I somewhat agree with you. There are other drones that have an attractive shelll, like the Ares Ethos FPV. I've thought about making a new shell with a 3d printer, but I want a clip on body and that might be too heavy. So, I've been wanting to buy a hobby vacuum former, to make a lightweight, clip on, or attached by Velcro, shell.

Ideally, someone with airbrush talent could make it look nice. A proper canopy could make it easier to tell the front from the back.

Having said that, DJI made a functional, high strength body. I don't fault them, but I'm surprised that no one has offered clip on shells. As with all of my great ideas, I will postpone until someone else does what I planned to do!

And, I just shared my idea. Not smart. :)

Edit: I hate spell check! Every "shell" became she'll !

ianwood said:
CF props = slammed suspension. Both equally ineffective.

+1. We have our share of ridiculous cars in Northern California as well.

If I'm going to mod my Phantom, the mods need to improve performance, with the exception of decals. If a body kit significantly reduced weight and still fit in my backpack foam, I'd be interested. Otherwise, I can't see modifying it for aesthetics. I'd rather spend the money on real upgrades.

I googled the Yuneec Q500 and the Ares Ethos to see what they looked like. In this beholder's eye, the Q500 is kind of cool looking but the Ares did nothing for me. I didn't like the boat-like shape to it and I don't get the canopy look.

The P2 isn't a pretty quad, but I like that it looks (mostly) functional. In contrast, the Ares looks like it has extra plastic merely for aesthetics; this seems counterproductive to me.

My buddy just picked up the Q500 yesterday, but hasn't had a chance to fly it yet. I stopped by to check it out this afternoon. Nice shape, and big 13 inch props. Quick disconnecting gimbal/camera so he is hoping they will offer a gimbal for the Gopro.
I have a Blade 350 and an Iris+, and the rectangular layouts are much easier to "read" in the sky, unlike the square Phantom where orientation can be more challenging to determine from a distance. And they seem to be more stable on take off and landing, far less likely to tip.

Mick Emmett said:
Sorry! Andrey320 but I have no idea what that statement means, is something like a GT Phantom with go faster stripes and nitro ;)

Sorry Mick... You got it right... Just trying to be funny.

Keep in mind, that statement came from someone whose phantom has a checkerboard pattern.... :oops:

You're all way too practical, if a nice body kit came on the market I would buy it just to make my Phantom look better, it wouldn't have to improve performance but on the other hand I wouldn't want it to reduce performance either. I've just bought a new P2 Vision Plus to go along side my none Vision (Zenmuse and Gopro) I'm wishing I'd held off now, that Yuneec Q500 really looks good, not sure about the built in screen position though?

GoodnNuff said:
My buddy just picked up the Q500 yesterday, but hasn't had a chance to fly it yet. I stopped by to check it out this afternoon. Nice shape, and big 13 inch props. Quick disconnecting gimbal/camera so he is hoping they will offer a gimbal for the Gopro.
I have a Blade 350 and an Iris+, and the rectangular layouts are much easier to "read" in the sky, unlike the square Phantom where orientation can be more challenging to determine from a distance. And they seem to be more stable on take off and landing, far less likely to tip.

I wasn't familiar with it, so I searched for it on amazon. It does have a great look, even somewhat Inspire 1 shaped from one angle. Although there were only about 5 reviews, they were all 5 stars! Reading the questions and answers, it seems it has a transmitter. If so, I can't imagine why a photo wasn't included.

BTW, I've sent two emails to DJI, about a month ago, with no reply. So you had better luck!

Here is the transmitter. Nice touch LCD color screen, but reading about this it seems there is a lag in transmission so it is not advised to fly FPV with this screen.

Attachments

• g500.png
    g500.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 375
There are actually lots of options available, assuming you don't mind some fiddling and re-engineering to make things work.
You can just go to Hobby King or Ebay and search for quadcopter frames. If you look for frames in the 330 - 450mm range,
most should work with Phantom parts. DJI started out as a component supplier for self-built quadcopter kits before building
ready-to-fly quads.

Clipper707 said:
I googled the Yuneec Q500 and the Ares Ethos to see what they looked like. In this beholder's eye, the Q500 is kind of cool looking but the Ares did nothing for me. I didn't like the boat-like shape to it and I don't get the canopy look.

The P2 isn't a pretty quad, but I like that it looks (mostly) functional. In contrast, the Ares looks like it has extra plastic merely for aesthetics; this seems counterproductive to me.

Did you look at the Ares Ethos FPV model? There are other Ares Ethos models. Anyway, it looks cool to me! But, I didn't buy it just for the body. I liked the idea of another quad, with FPV with a color screen (with shades) for $299.

I know I could have put that towards FPV equipment for my P2, but this is fun to fly and it gives me the FPV taste, to see if I want to go that route.

Two upcoming competitors come with FPV monitors built into the transmitter. I think that will be a feature in more upcoming models. As for the q500, B&H has the most information and photos that I could find. Amazon has them in stock. It is tempting, but there is missing data that I would like to know. Plus, pictures make it look like the transmitter has a large FPV screen. It does not, most of what looks like a screen is black plastic. I would have considered purchasing it if it wasn't for that.

The other one that I'm interested in, comes out in March. It is the Hobbico Ora. Need more data, though. If DJI doesn't get its act together, they may be left in the dust.

The Phantom has gotten a bit boring in its looks, and it would be nice to have some options as far as different body styles. I've looked into designing a more aggressive look, but I'm not sure there is a big enough market for it.

There is a Fat Phantom shell available that that stretches the wheelbase to 425mm. Also you can move the guts to a waterproof shell such as the Dex.

All clear would be cool.

Often times when manufacturers are designing/testing internals or changing colors in production (if others colors avail.) they'll 'shoot' some clear ones.

Used to have several for various Moto cellphones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20