Blew up my AUX line to connector. Did I HOSE my Phantom?

Reaction score
hello did I just hose my phantom? I soldered and heatshrinked a JST connector to aux line and when i hooked up battery the aux line popped and smoke started coming out from battery compartment which stopped after few seconds. Anyone know what I did wrong? I am afraid to look inside the phantom. If it is really bad does DJI have a repair facility? Should I have separated the black and red wires in separate shrink tubes to separate them? That is only thing I can think of that I did wrong.

1276512_10151549355176990_1774194356_o.jpg

I'm just not sure where to start. We're the solder joints separated or touching in the heat shrink?
Dumb question on mt part, they had to be touching.
Open the Phantom, the wires go to a circuit board, CAREFULLY seperate them at the board and cut them off. Isolate them and you should be good to go.
If you need AUX power, better buy an adapter that fits between the the battery and the power plug.

rampage42 said:
I'm just not sure where to start. We're the solder joints separated or touching in the heat shrink?
Dumb question on mt part, they had to be touching.
Open the Phantom, the wires go to a circuit board, CAREFULLY seperate them at the board and cut them off. Isolate them and you should be good to go.
If you need AUX power, better buy an adapter that fits between the the battery and the power plug.

I had put both red black aux wires in 1 tube. I had seen this picture posted from another phantom user and thought it was 1 tube and it actually it is 2 tubes on aux wires. DOH! So that seems to be cause of the problem short circuit. Yes I need Aux power for my Tarot gimbal. Do you know where I can buy this adapter? Or can authorized dealer repair the Aux wire?

1263983_10151549447146990_1176811496_o.jpg

And this photo is the inside of phantom. It looks like burns are just on aux wires. As you say I will try to cut out the aux wires from the board and hopefully it will turn on.

1167350_10151549426461990_1401532159_o.jpg

I read about another guy that had his Phantom catch on fire when he was using aux. cable to gimbal. Just the other day I was replacing the balance connector on a brand new battery & the battery exploded when the wires shorted. New adventures every day with this demon flyer.

mikrob said:
I read about another guy that had his Phantom catch on fire when he was using aux. cable to gimbal. Just the other day I was replacing the balance connector on a brand new battery & the battery exploded when the wires shorted. New adventures every day with this demon flyer.

Wow battery exploded? Did you get hurt? that sounds nerve wracking. Its like crash course in electronics.

Just got the dual battery to power gimbal and phantom.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0956707725

mikrob said:

I'm that guy.

I don't really feel the aux power is meant to power anything. maybe an led light, but nothing that draws real power. I wouldn't use it again.

My phantom is not fried. I cut the wires back to the board.

The Phantom has issues. DJI just doesn't want to talk about them.

D

CameraGuy said:
mikrob said:

I'm that guy.

I don't really feel the aux power is meant to power anything. maybe an led light, but nothing that draws real power. I wouldn't use it again.

D

Sorry to hear that bud. Which gimbal did you use? Maybe it was defective gimbal? Did your phantom survive?

jinspin said:
mikrob said:

Wow battery exploded? Did you get hurt? that sounds nerve wracking. Its like crash course in electronics.

Just got the dual battery to power gimbal and phantom.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0956707725

There was no shrapnel so I wasn't hurt. I was enveloped in a mist of whatever is in those batteries. No notice of any new super-powers yet.

jinspin said:
CameraGuy said:
mikrob said:

I'm that guy.

D

Sorry to hear that bud. Which gimbal did you use? Maybe it was defective gimbal? Did your phantom survive?

The GImbal is known as the Good Luck Buy Gimbal. Yes, it survived.

I power the gimbal with an external battery now. The other way is to have a splitter from the battery power the gimbal, so the power comes directly from the battery and does not touch the Phantom

D

I soldered new wires of a heavier gauge to the same points on the board to run FPV gear and now the gimbal as well.
All is well,no abnormal heat or fires or meltdowns of any kind. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj