Blades

Mote
Can you run the motors, with out the propellers on.?.To practice.

Some people do it to discharge their batteries - I wouldn't for sure for that reason! My concern would be there is no load on the motors without the props and you could potentially damage the motors running them "light" for an extended time!

If you do just to test the motors for any irregularities or noise you may have heard - I wouldn't run them for too long due to increased temperatures and no props downward wind to help cool them. I haven't tried it and not sure I would want to (expect for any possible issues of concern) - doubtful there is enough torque to flip the quad, but as mentioned my biggest concern would be no load running that may create higher rpm and a potential to damage the motor core/windings if run for an extended period of time.

whats kinda funny about this question and the answers is that in the " old days " the motors were broken in before flight by sticking them into a glass of water while they were running...

Mote
Yes that's the way Simulator is used. Practice to learn stick controls.

But the real practice is by flying it in safe place with no obstructions around. It's so easy to control and have fun.

You can run the motors with the props off, but I would only recommend you do this if you're testing something that requires the motors to be running for 60 seconds or less. You would not want to let them run for long periods of time on the ground since they will generate a lot of heat and were not really designed to be operated without props attached.

Yes that's the way Simulator is used.
The motors should be off when running the simulator. I guess that's what you meant, but I just wanted to clarify.

You can run the motors with the props off, but I would only recommend you do this if you're testing something that requires the motors to be running for 60 seconds or less. You would not want to let them run for long periods of time on the ground since they will generate a lot of heat and were not really designed to be operated without props attached.
These aren't car engines or brushed motors. These are high efficiency low KV brushless outrunners, you can run these motors for hours and hours and they wont get hot unless they are defective.
The only motors that shouldn't be run without airflow or heatsink are high KV motors, such as inrunners, which even without load build heat pretty fast.

Even worse would be to run them WITH props on the bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: N017RW

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie