Blades hitting prop guards, shall I ditch them?

Reaction score
it could of course be absolute coincidence however after performing the recent autopilot firmware update for the Vision Plus my blades are kitting the prop guards during a fast decent. One the improvements was supposed to be increased decent speed.

I have flown helis for many years so I am fairly adept at gentle landings etc. I have never flown without prop guards since I fly in a field with long grass although it stills seems to catch it. Do you guys think I should ditch them? Will I notice any radical improvement in stability or flight time?

Just to add to the above it seemed to be just a one off they are not consistently hitting the guards just once in a while.

Thats's strange. You sure you are not using P1 prop guards on a P2?

Did you buy ( DJI ) prop guards, or aftermarket ones?

These are DJI ONES:
29CB8A4A-8C1F-4DD1-88BB-65B7408C7F21_zpsyebvw5ye.jpg

For some reason, the aftermarket ones, hit the ( SELF-Tightening props )
They are a different PITCH.

I would ditch them , and buy DJI ONES!
I had the same problem with my P2V, and ORANGE
aftermarket guards! ( they do work with the NON-self-tightening
Props, but you need prop nuts!

Hope this helps!

lukeglazebrook said:
it could of course be absolute coincidence however after performing the recent autopilot firmware update for the Vision Plus my blades are kitting the prop guards during a fast decent. One the improvements was supposed to be increased decent speed.

I have flown helis for many years so I am fairly adept at gentle landings etc. I have never flown without prop guards since I fly in a field with long grass although it stills seems to catch it. Do you guys think I should ditch them? Will I notice any radical improvement in stability or flight time?

The recent firmware upgrade 3.04 has reduced descent speed, not increased it as you stated. If you are experienced flying helicopters, you'd understand this was an attempt to reduce the risk of VRS occurring by descending too quickly.
As for the prop guards? I had them on for 2 flights and found they made the craft squirrely and unstable. (only my opinion).

lukeglazebrook said:
xgeek said:
Thats's strange. You sure you are not using P1 prop guards on a P2?

They were these ones mate but they had no string in the packet...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J ... UTF8&psc=1

Those are not DJI prop guards. Get the real thing (and never use knockoff props either) and they won't fail.http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Part28-Phanto ... rop+guards

I don't know why the knockoffs go to all the trouble to make expensive injection molds, only to release faulty products engineered by monkeys. As the previous poster mentioned, the pitch is wrong, which is why your props hit, and this will eventually cause a serious crash. Don't buy fake props either, or the same thing will result.

Thanks for you input guys, its a real shame that DJI did not make 2 of the guards a different colour since that was a primary reason for purchasing the amazon ones (to aid in orientation at distance)

I have now removed them, am i likely to notice any difference do you think?

lukeglazebrook said:
Thanks for you input guys, its a real shame that DJI did not make 2 of the guards a different colour since that was a primary reason for purchasing the amazon ones (to aid in orientation at distance)

It is a simple process to paint 2 of the prop guards as I did (see attached photo). These are genuine DJI White prop guards. I painted the two for the front to assist with orientation

Attachments

• Genuine DJI Prop guards.jpg
    Genuine DJI Prop guards.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 675
lukeglazebrook said:

Make sure you put the original screws back in and not the longer ones that came with the prop guards. Otherwise you will damage the motors.

xgeek said:
lukeglazebrook said:

Make sure you put the original screws back in and not the longer ones that came with the prop guards. Otherwise you will damage the motors.

Too late I have accidentally damaged one of the motors :( Is it fixable?

Nope. Will need to change out the motor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31