Blade life

J&W

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a recommended number of hours of flight time that you should replace the props

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Unknown. Inspect before each flight for cracks, chips or dings. If I have a blade strike I'll replace even if no visible damage.

Reactions: Mark C.
Use them properly, they will last very long. Any time you see any damage, just replace them.

Reactions: Mark C.
DJI has no such recommendation. You can continue to use them as long as they are not damaged. Here's what you should be checking prior to each flight:
  • Make sure there are no chips along the edges of the props. This will probably never occur unless the prop strikes something.
  • Check around the outside of the hub for hairline cracks.
  • Check the inside of the hub for worn/stripped threads and cracks.

I crashes my phantom 4 into some willows. Thankfully no damage, not even a chipped prop. Flew it another dozen times until I saw seawolfs post and it occurred to me I was being stupid. Trying to save $10 by keeping the ok looking blades and risking my phantom? Thanks seawolf!

On my P3A, I changed out the props at 100 flights. But they still looked new.

How many bug strikes can a blade take before its internal structure integrity is to be questioned?

GMass gets bug guts, large or small, slung on the body of the aircraft after almost every flight.

I went out yesterday, to practice for my UAQ tests early next year - this is the UK qualification. I always fly in GPS mode (it works, I don't need any 'drift') but decided to practice in ATTI mode. For the first time ever, I crashed the P4 - not badly, just into a fence as the wind suddenly picked up and blew it straight into the **** thing - I was practicing 'holding' the drone steady at a metre off the ground. Broke one prop (in half), the others look okay but will replace them all, the cost is around £7.00 a pair so not worth finding out, on my next flight, that a prop that looks fine has an internal crack / weakness. Annoyingly, I have prop guards but didn't bother...

I've only destroyed one prop in an "autoland" in corn field stubble. . . in my first few hours of training . . I could not figure out how to stop it in time. So to avoid prop damage or or worse, I recommend practicing in ALL modes/functions as often as you can find time. . . that way . . . when the unexpected happens ( or does not happen as planned) you will recover and not panic or making things worse like I did by running out of time trying to decide what to do. Early on, I tried new maneuvers without really understanding their behaviour fully ( had not watched enough mistakes by others yet) and I almost lost it by simply running out of time wondering which mode I'm in and not wanting to hit RTH for fear there was not enough time left . . or that HOME was not a good recovery spot now because I had moved in order to keep it in sight, and other people were now in the way.

Now I try to spend an hour a week just flying various scenarios from one function to another so it's second nature. . . and so far I've had no further prop contact in last 60-70 hrs . .oh sorry there was that other mature cornfield . . . yea I clipped a few tassels when I took my eyes off the thing while intentionally getting a little too close. No Damage. . . just a little green on one prop. I plan to replace all of them between 80-100 hrs. if there is no further "unwanted touching". $12 bucks a set/100hrs I think is reasonable.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik