Blade Guards - Caution!

Reaction score
I recently purchase blade guards for my Vision 2 - I had already burned through about 3 props, before I thought this can't be a bad idea. Usually my props where getting smoked on engine shut down... Usually craft came down fine, everything perfect, but when I went to shut it down, it would usually wind up to higher rpm and take of sideways.. destroying a prop or two. So on my first order of props, I thought I would order the guards. I ordered a set, launched a test flight. Seemed they where alittle close for comfort.. but what could I do? No directions by the way putting them on. (Anyone know what the string is for? So maybe I screwed up the install?? Don't know. However, at about 168' yesterday the props started to grind into the guards and quad went into a struggle for it's life.. it really fought hard too.. but came baring down to the ground.. upside down. landed in about 4 inches of snow.. "thank God!" Saved it's life.. all props where smoked and guards just shattered. I put on new props and gave it a test flight right away... Everything is ok! Praise God! No video was not going.. It happened to be a full card.

Any chance you bought the wrong prop guards? Maybe the ones for the original phantom with the 8" blades? I have the new longer guards on my PV2 and they work fine. No matter how hard I fly it they have never touched. Im not sure how they could. But I could definitely see the 9.5" blades touching the shorter prop guards during hard maneuvering or windy conditions as there is very little wiggle room. Not sure without seeing your set up but thats my gut feeling.

On a side note are you shutting down the motors when you land by pushing both sticks in and down like in starting the motors? If so that does produce some funny results when trying to land. I had the same issues when I was new to these things. Often tipping over etc and went through a few props myself. I now either catch it or hover and gently land keeping the throttle held down for several seconds until the motors stop. This is a very smooth way to shut them down and doesn't produce the weird and sudden spin up of the motors just before shutting off. Hopefully I am not stating the obvious. Just sharing my mistakes and limited knowledge. Hopefully it helps.

JJ

Once you land, are you shutting the motors down by just holding the left stick all the way down for about 4 seconds? If you power down the same way you start up, you'll be going through a lo of props every time. Shutting down with CSC does not shut motors down all at the same time. The string for the prop guards is meant to wrap around all four guards to fill in the space between the guards.

One of hardest skills I had to learn when I first started flying was how to land and shut the power off in order to kept the Phantom from tipping over, flying sideways, etc. Those first few landings and power offs were not pretty. I am not saying this is the answer to your problem but for me I went back and watched how Colin landed and powered off the Phantom. What I was doing wrong was still holding on to both levers in the "down" and "in" position, just like when you start it up. The key was to let go of the right controller stick so that it would return to the neutral position once the Phantom reached the ground. By releasing the "right" controller or letting it return to neutral while still holding down the "left" stick, in the straight down position, turned off the Phantom and kept in level and on the ground without it flipping over, flying off sideways.

Hope this helps with your flying.

Did you buy on ebay, if so i read on hear somewhere that there are cheaper copy ones around!!

I'm waiting for my supplier to get some in as he will only supply original ones however anyone that has original guards can you let us know how they are packaged?

That might help determine fake from real :?:

...and if you decide to do away with the guards please remember to use the ORIGINAL motor screws again. If you try and put the longer screws that came with the guard back in the motors without the guard in place they will go right up into the motor and (usually) damage the windings beyond repair.

Apologies if you were well aware of this already, but we've had several motors ruined this way on the forum...

Pay attention to what Pull_up just posted. I cooked 2 motors installing the wrong prop guards with innappropriately long screws, and nearly forgot to use the shorter screws when removing the quards. "I" am one of the "We" he is referring to!

Sounds to me like you had the wrong prop guards. Here are the ones I use, note the clearance at the end of the prop and the height distance between the prop and the guard. They never interfere

prop1.jpg

prop2.jpg

Please post photos so we can see what you were dealing with.

I've used the guards above and they work perfectly.

I also endorse the landing procedure the guys have already mentioned,
after trying the 'two sticks down and in' and having it spin off into the
ground several times.

Strings - you tie them between the guards, but as someone else here said,
I can imagine them making perfect snag if it flies into a tree, leaving
you staring forlornly up at your P2V.

Also be aware of descending too fast as the added weight could send your drone into ring vortex state...

GneeChee said:
I'm wondering if anybody has used these guards from Helipal? They're a bit pricey, but I rather like they way they look.

http://www.helipal.com/product_info.php?&products_id=11096

Those are the guards I have settled on. They are lighter and look better. I have added lighting to mine and it looks great. See my post from several days ago titled "Can you see me now" in this forum for photos.

Count said:
GneeChee said:
I'm wondering if anybody has used these guards from Helipal? They're a bit pricey, but I rather like they way they look.

http://www.helipal.com/product_info.php?&products_id=11096

Those are the guards I have settled on. They are lighter and look better. I have added lighting to mine and it looks great. See my post from several days ago titled "Can you see me now" in this forum for photos.

Very cool ... Thanks for the input!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20