Blade flying off phantom 4

Reaction score
When out on a trip yesterday I set up ready to fly but never checked the blades were on properly and just as it took off one flew up about 40 feet lucky no damage done .

I saw that same occurrence when a friend did the same thing. Blade went up and away by 30 feet and the ac flipped upside down. I have always been in the habit of attaching each prop, then re-checking each one. Probably stems from the ultralight flying days and the pre-flight that we did before any fly time.

When out on a trip yesterday I set up ready to fly but never checked the blades were on properly and just as it took off one flew up about 40 feet lucky no damage done .

This happens to the best of us, and its not always because you forgot to check the blades , they do get loose, at times or have a broken bracket inside.

We recommend you check out the Phantom Rain Wet Suits which will lock in those props tighter and keep the battery tighter as well as lock in the leg clips.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom 4 Series drone

This is how they look when they are locked on with the Wet Suit. Nice thing is you dont have to take apart anything .

Thank you never knew you got such a thing I go and have a look for them now ?
Which phantom you flying,if p4 get rid of those silly bend up tabs that support props and get p4p ones ,they have spring in middle and support better that the steel plate with 3 prongs..I also have the wetsuit on and that gives more stability to props being nice and tight with no play and gives ability to get wet without panic
1561325470521786491177.jpg

Which phantom you flying,if p4 get rid of those silly bend up tabs that support props and get p4p ones ,they have spring in middle and support better that the steel plate with 3 prongs..I also have the wetsuit on and that gives more stability to props being nice and tight with no play and gives ability to get wet without panicView attachment 112267
Hey Mate how do you get airflow through the motor for cooling? I think I would rather get some water inside than stop the air. Do they get hot? You might not cook the windings but you may loose efficiency (IR losses) and/or loose some oil out of the bearings. I think I would avoid blocking the air holes.

I've had this happen once. I'm pretty sure it was me being hasty. Luckily it happened before liftoff. So for this reason, I don't do auto-takeoff or not until I have at least lightly throttled the props on and off to see if the inertia will knock them off the mounts. I do this prior to ever lifting off completely.

Which phantom you flying,
Good question, that information should have been in the original post #1

I also have the wetsuit on and that gives more stability to props being nice and tight
Would you explain to me how that works please? I know nothing about the Phantom wetsuit

Hey Mate how do you get airflow through the motor for cooling? I think I would rather get some water inside than stop the air. Do they get hot? You might not cook the windings but you may loose efficiency (IR losses) and/or loose some oil out of the bearings. I think I would avoid blocking the air holes.
I never fly full batt so they never really get hot,,you now have me thinking on airflow but that's part of the wetsuit,I do feel motors after and they only warm

Reactions: Capt KO
Good question, that information should have been in the original post #1

Would you explain to me how that works please? I know nothing about the Phantom wetsuit
Um if regarding these giving nice pressure when props lock on,they self adhesive and part of the phantom wetsuit,,,I notice without these prop locks ok but with these on it a cushion aswell,and just stops water going in there,,centrifugal forces do not really allow water to enter motors anyway ,but more of a prevention I think,,I'm sure you seen pics of phantom wetsuit in rain so I won't try explain that,but does make the phantom all weather drone,,
1561411318778-718466298.jpg

I never fly full batt so they never really get hot,,you now have me thinking on airflow but that's part of the wetsuit,I do feel motors after and they only warm

Our Second video we ever made was to test the extreme heat of not just the motors but of the entire wet suit and do this we flew to Tennessee for one of gods greatest pie in the sky moments called Totality - aka ECLIPSE Videos posted on website.

The temps were 110 degrees and we flew the Drone 90 minutes in a row to capture the activity , the hottest the motors ever got were 140 degrees , which was way below the Thresholds of the aluminum motors .

Keep in mind that the very bottom of the motors the vents that are open.

We aslo leaned the the Neoprene did not get as hot as the actual plastic did so your good Ian. :}

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the rain.

Last edited:
Um if regarding these giving nice pressure when props lock on,they self adhesive and part of the phantom wetsuit,,,I notice without these prop locks ok but with these on it a cushion aswell,and just stops water going in there,,centrifugal forces do not really allow water to enter motors anyway ,but more of a prevention I think,,I'm sure you seen pics of phantom wetsuit in rain so I won't try explain that,but does make the phantom all weather drone,,
Oh, OK... I have never seen that part of the wet suit before, does that go on top of the motors?

That's why I never use the slider in the app to start flying.
I always use the remote controller start option (two joysticks using CSC start). I let the bird idle for about 10-20 seconds. When you use this start-option, the blades will come off if they're not correctly tightened but it won't crash!

Our Second video we ever made was to test the extreme heat of not just the motors but of the entire wet suit and do this we flew to Tennessee for one of gods greatest pie in the sky moments called Totality - aka ECLIPSE Videos posted on website.

The temps were 110 degrees and we flew the Drone 90 minutes in a row to capture the activity , the hottest the motors ever got were 140 degrees , which was way below the Thresholds of the aluminum motors .

Keep in mind that the very bottom of the motors the vents that are open.

We aslo leaned the the Neoprene did not get as hot as the actual plastic did so your good Ian. :}

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the rain.
140dF? How can you be so sure? I don't know where DJI located the temperature sensor in the motor. It could be underestimating the temperature of the core of the motor by many tens of degrees. Running hot copper winding cores continuously will reduce motor performance and lifespan. DJI's engineers specified that the motors have that cooling opening for a reason. It's not a good idea to block it.

140dF? How can you be so sure? I don't know where DJI located the temperature sensor in the motor. It could be underestimating the temperature of the core of the motor by many tens of degrees. Running hot copper winding cores continuously will reduce motor performance and lifespan. DJI's engineers specified that the motors have that cooling opening for a reason. It's not a good idea to block it.

Couple things to keep in mind , were going on almost 2 years with our phantom 4 with over 150 flights in the rain so there is that .
More importantly the Motors are made of aluminum and designed to Negotiate heat this is why they are used in underwater systems.
You could be right about the temps being off but even if they were off by 50 degrees , make no difference , the Phantom can only stay in the air for 30 minutes before the motors have to cool down again,

There are many RC pilots that will tell you that these motors can withstand extreme heat but the Prop Covers and the Rings are designed to Negotiate water and do very little to increase heat. If you want to see how our Phantom is doing so far; Just know the Phantom 4 Pro is a Rock Star not easily beaten down

Some of the most epic flights have been posted on Phantomrain.org
Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik