Blackpearl or DJI wifi extender ?

Reaction score
Well I've had my P2 v3 (non vision) a month now and love it. Now its time to venture into the world of FPV. I've got myself a gimbal (Zenmuse) and GoPro on the way.

I've been looking at the various ways to do FPV with the Blackpearl vs the DJI extender with a small android tablet. Just wondering which is the best for range, performance (putting cost to one side) etc etc.

I understand I need to get an IOS mini and some sort of transmitter on 5.6ghz, but would just like some opinions for the controller end.

cheers.

hey mate. I'm afraid there is no such thing as a "non-Vision v3" The latest version of the non-Vision series Phantom 2 is called the V2.0. Here are some other facts you need to know:

Your RC runs in the 2.4ghz range, as does wifi. this is the reason that non-Vision series P2's DO NOT use either the DJI App, or the gopro's wifi for fpv. (Vision series RC runs on 5.8ghz so that's why they use wifi in the 2.4ghz range for FPV/app). For this same reason the "DJI Wifi extender" is of no use to you, it only applies to Vision series.

So you need to add FPV equipment in the 5.8ghz range to not interfere with your 2.4ghz RC control. You can buy pre-made FPV kits but honestly you can build a better, cheaper system yourself. There is a stickythread in this forum called "lowest prices on fpv components" that is a good list with a lot of parts and links, I'll cover the most common options.

First you need a transmitter... common options are the ImmersionRC 600mW and the Boscam TS353 (400mW). don't make the mistake of thinking higher mW automatically means better performance - proper antennas make all the difference in FPV performance... more on this in a second

once you have your transmitter, there is a plug and play cable for each style obviously get the appropriate one for either ImmersionRC or Boscam. Plenty of videos on youtube to help you through the transmitter/iOSD/PnP cable part.

in addition indeed you want an iOSD mini so that you have telemetry info on your FPV feed.

now you need a receiver/display... again the common choices are the Flyslight Black Pearl displays (several models) and the RX-LCD5802. Be aware there is a known compatibility if you choose the IRC600 transmitter, the 32ch BP version doesn't seem to cooperate so you'll want either the RX-LCD5802 or the 7ch BP. If you choose ANY other transmitter there is no known issue.

now, antennas. if you want any kind of real range premium is the way to go, the kits from FPVLR give you a nice transmit antenna, and 2 receiver antennas... short range omnidirectional (pinwheel) and a long range directional (helix) for anything over a few hundred meters.

There are other peripherals you'll want but you have many choices, for example how you attach the display to your RC there are cool 3d-printed ones that are best in most people's opinion. There are also minor peripherals such as a quick release gopro bracket, H3-3D clip for securing it during transport, and others.

the stickythread will be a great resource for all that stuff. if you have any questions feel free to ask.

thanks for the great reply and for correcting me on the extender. Are you saying the Blackpearl 7 channel would be a better direction to go in ?

I've also noticed the RX-LCD5802 is considerably cheaper than the black pearl. Is there much difference between them ?

shabba007 said:
thanks for the great reply and for correcting me on the extender. Are you saying the Blackpearl 7 channel would be a better direction to go in ?

I've also noticed the RX-LCD5802 is considerably cheaper than the black pearl. Is there much difference between them ?

you only want the BP 7ch if you go with the ImmersionRC transmitter. if you go with the TS353 it doesn't matter which display you use.

The RX-LCD5802 supposedly has less resolution, but in our application with the FPV we set up the image is going to look squished a bit anyway... unless you put in a $2000 DJI Lightbridge system you'll get "standard def" FPV not HD... FPV is used for just knowing exactly what your camera is pointed at , not some immersive HD flight experience

want to be clear this is my opinion, but imo there's not really a reason to go with the more expensive option unless you really want that HDMI port. The LCD5802 has no HDMI port but who cares? not like I'm watching movies or playing xbox on a 7" screen.. all it does is FPV for my P2 :)

I also run a LCD5802 and have no issues... plenty bright, decent battery life.. works fine

QYV said:
First you need a transmitter... common options are the ImmersionRC 600mW and the Boscam TS353 (400mW). don't make the mistake of thinking higher mW automatically means better performance - proper antennas make all the difference in FPV performance... more on this in a second
FYI, the difference from 400mw to 600mw is only 1.8 dB, which as QYV says, isn't much.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik