Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K

Reaction score
It looks like Blackmagic is going right after Panasonic and the GH series of cameras for 4K video. I'd really love to see how this works out as I have a range of MFT lenses already. The Panasonic G85 is't quite the equal of the GH5 but at just under $1K with kit lens it was surely a lot cheaper than the GH5. The new 4K camera from Blackmagic is supposed to retail for about $1300USD.

But, the thing that really pops out about this is the 10-bit and 12-bit RAW capabilities with built in ProRes. In addition the camera boast a 5 inch screen in the back.

Blackmagic designed its new Pocket Cinema Camera around 4K video

Brian

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Oh, and for the price of $1300USD you also get the Studio version of DaVinci Resolve so for those that don't already have the Studio version of DaVinci Resolve the net is $1000 for the camera.

Brian

Reactions: AndrewCCM
I wish they had one with a Canon EF mount for the same price. I have so many EF lenses....

I have 8 MFT lenses -- 5 of them fixed lenses mostly for the Inspire 1 Pro along with 3 zooms so I have enough glass and decent glass to get going without metabones. I also have a range of glass for Nikon and Canon so if I wanted to go the metabones route I could do that and have decent glass to make use of it.

The bitrates for the new 4K pocket camera are not as high as I would have imagined particularly if you shoot UHD using ProRes -- the bitrate there is only 110Mbps and I would have expected more like 150Mbps or even higher. The bitrate for RAW is over 200Mbps, bit even there it can't be true RAW as the bitrate off of a 4K camera are insanely high. Say 12 bit per color times 3 per pixel times 8.1MP times 60fps and that's... over 17Tbps uncompressed. And that's over 2TBps off the camera.

So, I'm certainly intrigued, but something isn't adding up...

Brian

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20