Birds

Reaction score
Did anybody had a collision with a bird?
Many times there are two eagles flying around here at high altitude. Up till now they did not show much interest in the Phantom but I try to stay away from them. I wonder if somebody's Phantom was attacked by a bird?

That video is funny as.

I took mine up last week and as I was up there was a flock of Cockatoo's swarming in the air. They flew under the drone, I was worried when they came back they'd hit the drone. So as they moved off in their pattern landed. Someone told me best to fly up if you ever get into a situation where you might hit a bird on landing.

My Vision+ was taken out by a bird. It was dark so I only caught a glimpse of the bird moments before hearing a thud & watching in horror as my Phantom cartwheeled through the tree branches & crashed into the street. Two broken props, camera separated at roll axis. Repaired camera with a new ribbon cable. She's still flying. No idea on the fate of the bird but while I was collecting the pieces I caught a glimpse of one still buzzing about.

Night Fury: 1 - Dirty Bird: 0

Many times there are two eagles flying around here at high altitude. Up till now they did not show much interest in the Phantom but I try to stay away from them. I wonder if somebody's Phantom was attacked by a bird?

YouTube. And from what I can see birds get angry at drones. And attack them. ...birds.

I KNEW IT!!!!! I'm so glad you're Phantoms OK!!!:) With the factory blades at that??? WOW!! That is BEYOND HILARIOUS!!! He was Proud of his CATCH!! That's Exactly why I was grounded until I got my hands on some DJI Carbon Fiber Props!!!!;)

Factory props. Surprised the Phantom body survived as well as it did because she slammed the asphalt hard front nacelles first. I saw the camera eject as a street light was right there and everything slid across the pavement into the next door neighbor's front yard. The bird itself just needed two new props & some light sanding removed the scuffs from the nacelle edges. You can see in last photo lower front shell is slightly deformed. Camera has a small scuff on the bezel from where it impacted the street. (The big piece of loose plastic wasn't actually from my Phantom it was debris laying in the street that I initially thought had broken off)

DgesHWQ4bFrkr8zdP5J2I8GwY9sO47AWdsC2JdugAivSLOJQuIdI7nkopr5SD3rxL4M6pVOSXA3G7HLXF2JPu4pBWkIBEqWcl83fFJDEunE2F9kX2YSviebmYw5ifIp-m8wO3zeUSF5WBB64EpNX4mojFP09nHeN5B5w1SKLG-tgQeAf-92gNS_fOuZRD_CH7Y2uznqJnlafM-oRNPY9Q6EyeIqPdRW9dOxn2zibIJc0cRnYPGT7zCG2_EZzKTffZi4-C-_WsjQUC1aRKHpwRZ0dQwON1duW3iQDbVRRA8-6NDPrfMMT-jp4Y-NIyZeqsFF-Z6Ar3fIAuTAWzD2pZ_W4aJL7C5ZyTGraRXkSl4Zxog6kn_-UCqaeQsCLLvu-tHywGjcNOyCGgKAFzqG5UEU7gL6ebK0WdvPvFd67vBbbRYsAeR1boO1jprDY5UnuFUrJ8fo_WhLzZ92MB8FDs8NFZTBvRqZJRb2xTKoJ_hVP9r_QGneJ3UudTqp2fLbjeXYH2kqGlvpU4V9UIQ7vBLRZ4zGFNntgm5O5cpRVaDlW=w1119-h633-no

FaKVsssaIX9Rfq-xnm7LHE-dakXQuCo9Jt7hfg1F35MHbV-NgZdzpru3V8gxVIzOwGBk7aO-hYiE2lLi8m8T7CIocdIbSBAo8trI8ZzlcAV9i8vKWp5Iy0wTI-aNr8lPS_8R9Gf1DBxSxW2ZfWnO7lh0MuDJF-5RuXKEccdAT19EOZ77E9oH_3FnJCe-YD8cvlUlDYgHMuOl_LozZfXIdScTQFoU6v8ZoupIWud5gLbIkZsXbCyiaUVtQsbQcvFWRggHVOkpEz_2-LZlqHtiRETPLb2RRmHJMFe1gpVmZ51PVGua30yuKrS6N7hJGgjkBJKi8cF2-C4-jKl1M_OnhuSUuhf7ok4MAbkj2xo9Bm_Q1YpfdMwXOdZN8nnfQmlXbQbonJkIuEiaE9BgsTeYEYMKrXrm9tdbMu6Gt6NG4UKb8lkGWKiOuwLYWQRJ1WNw-ZmHbYLCJFp5NHmEOuypY3IN8TMpL0XoIXkydhMGYe26nsGPu_bJZgWyfUld4auK-axbNTXMgb15e14Ds6dA4VHVUYKpKvMpedOLfW3O63Tw=w1119-h633-no

s41yFCCoscPt9rbY7EgqWlOYUappD_-8dsTI5T3KqqwV5dAyuEl1DCnrDMuzCIi3jX3_Va8iZr-GcIp8xOkJiFrZjFnoPR2kuz_cIHph8aNKbbFcXrJhlv5Vm6DBCUSyNXRbBVRUcl985IWr5eoyF2EQcsZaVatjPVyv3sk4i3ZF21mUVSV9JWTY3wOffTvEx8K-cvfS5Wx2wO19QljPFzbVfqD8dlhwjOx4NTrAvUCU7QgVn4eNI3Vt0ETaGEr2YuVAkUOueA1nApl5PBLY7CGObYRgv1rJZnUuxq7jVoGWPQ0vP8wbTdTzB2X23NJWR5AaszW7xqDvFkaBQ2L7E1EbStTA7udl7IFg4ZkjVSqlgaeDMpPGPInsoLA1aGPT7dOPJsOObTRh8bx1EM7QeCnCvJF9mU5v6OCeqCiG5A6193AwVBPbedfRlfuJcQZ2HfAYYW5IkXyqIGjiLKK0BkEeNDinXsqAJbuG4C9phgBupQYsIXIkGBetyJZj6qyhfjl2WdgcIigTQ2IA0jJcoqTDFptfapAgMzEaQNM0j18l5j-N38Q12ygZKCDAoDKBjmDNww=w1119-h630-no

I KNEW IT!!!!! I'm so glad you're Phantoms OK!!!:) With the factory blades at that??? WOW!! That is BEYOND HILARIOUS!!! He was Proud of his CATCH!! That's Exactly why I was grounded until I got my hands on some DJI Carbon Fiber Props!!!!;)

Wow. Dirty Bird That sucks!!! Sounds like you Did Actually get lucky from Especially, the involvement with the "ASPHALT"!!!!! Those Tree Branches may have been your "Saving Grace", and Broken its fall a Good bit!! (By lowering the G forces on impact with the ASPHALT). I've never seen a Professional, or an Advanced Models Camera Gimbel separate like yours did. That's actually a nice feature to keep from breaking the Gimbal Arm itself, like I have seen HUNDREDS of times for sale on eBay after a crash. There is NO way to get around the ribbon though. You should try out the DJI Carbon Props. I Believe they will Definitely at least give you a chance, just as long as your not too close to the ground when they attack it. I'm so Glad it wasn't worse!!

BTW.... I was laughing at the apparent Eagle strike caught on VIDEO in the mountains, when it landed in the soft weeds. You could see the bird guarding its prey through the on ground camera footage after the strike.

I was lucky she hit the ground at about a 45 degree angle & the roll axis popped off cleanly. Shaft was undamaged & the gimbal wasn't bent. DJI changed something on the P3s. On the Vision+ the gimbal plate is aluminum. I've seen them bent but never broken. On the P3 the gimbal plate appears to be plastic & I notice lots of broken mounting plates in photos even from what appears to be minor crashes.

Wow. Dirty Bird That sucks!!! Sounds like you Did Actually get lucky from Especially, the involvement with the "ASPHALT"!!!!! Those Tree Branches may have been your "Saving Grace", and Broken its fall a Good bit!! (By lowering the G forces on impact with the ASPHALT). I've never seen a Professional, or an Advanced Models Camera Gimbel separate like yours did. That's actually a nice feature to keep from breaking the Gimbal Arm itself, like I have seen HUNDREDS of times for sale on eBay after a crash. There is NO way to get around the ribbon though. You should try out the DJI Carbon Props. I Believe they will Definitely at least give you a chance, just as long as your not too close to the ground when they attack it. I'm so Glad it wasn't worse!!

BTW.... I was laughing at the apparent Eagle strike caught on VIDEO in the mountains, when it landed in the soft weeds. You could see the bird guarding its prey through the on ground camera footage after the strike.

Reactions: Jack1926
I was lucky she hit the ground at about a 45 degree angle & the roll axis popped off cleanly. Shaft was undamaged & the gimbal wasn't bent. DJI changed something on the P3s. On the Vision+ the gimbal plate is aluminum. I've seen them bent but never broken. On the P3 the gimbal plate appears to be plastic & I notice lots of broken mounting plates in photos even from what appears to be minor crashes.
I'm really Happy to hear from you were so Fortunate!! I know EXACTLY what your talking a out as far as the "Gimbal Plate". Thats were they ALL seem to break from what I've seen on-line. And it is plastic. Everything is plastic except for the Gimbal motors, and motor accessory's. I know you're on to something because they sell A aluminum gimbal arm saver backplate, or something like that from the best of my knowledge, but it doesn't hold a candle to the ENTIRE gimbal arm being constructed out of Aluminum instead of "Plastic". I know that they removed the Aluminum phone mount arm on the receiver that the P2 Vision Plus came with from the Factory, and replaced it with "Flimsy" PLASTIC supposedly to save money, and keep the P3 Standard price as Low as possible, but I'm not exactly sure Why they would make Such a GRAVE Sacrifice on "ALL P3 MODELS"??? Manufacturers usually create a WEEK Link in order to Save something more valuable, or not as easily repaired. I don't see this being the case personally. I also can't imagine the weight difference being of any significance for the Gane you Get in the added strength. If they would have built just the P3 Standard with a plastic gimbal arm I would write it off as A attempt to keep the price as low as possible, and allow this technology to be affordable for more people. From what I have read the gimbal itself is completely different on the standard model than it is on the advanced, and professional. It seems that the Standard's Gimbal is the same exact Gimbel they designed for the P2 Vision Plus EXCEPT for building the arm out of plastic instead of Aluminum like they did on the P2V+. As many broken cameras as I've seen, it appears to be a way to make some guaranteed money after the original sale. That's if someone crashes or something unforeseen takes place putting too many G's on the gimbal arm. I hope I have an opportunity to at least strengthen my arm before something ends up happening God forbid!! It sounds to me like that P2 is something I would never get rid of and hold on to. Everything I've seen and read points to it being built Very Tough!!!! Not to mention It's basically a Phantom 3 Standard for the most part just STRONGER!!

Last edited:
Today went to fly flew for about 20 mins then out of no where an eagle attacked my bird it's lost for now!! Going to try to find it in the morning and it's going to rain tonight! Such a dissapointment totally bummed about it.

Yes today mine was attacked by an eagle you see Eagles get the heck out out of there!!

This just happened to me today!!

Wow, that is one impressive video! From being stalked, attacked, and driven to the ground by the eagle is amazing. Aggressive bird.

Looks like the Phantom escaped with just a few damages though, which is great. Glad you could recover it. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I saw that one, but the original video was posted in January. Silverwingflinx advised (yesterday) that he had the same issue .. I assumed that was not his video. I could be wrong :)
Not my video but yes the eagle took it down! It's been raining I I can not locate my p3! Going to get a tracker now!!that same day I tried to locate my p3 the same eagles where above me,not only was I trying to find my p3 but worried about being attacked by the 2 eagles!!my advice you see Eagles !!!GET OUT OF THERE!!!!

Last edited:
Dang! Did you lose it or ??? Any good video at least ? Here's hoping ya get it back man.
No video I was just doing a test flite with new battery!yes going to continue to look for it,but all I have is the Dji app! That's not good!!!

Did you have VPS on? I have read on other threads some theory that the ultrasonic sound waves from VPS are within the audible range of birds and may attract them. I don't know if there is any truth to that hypothesis, just thought I would bring it up for discussion.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31