Bird strike with small general aviation aircraft

I agree with you! Judging by past comments on the subject here on Phantom "Pilots" there seems to be a lot of Nay-Sayers claiming a Phantom is not a threat to maned aircraft or was really not seen as a near miss by trained pilots.

Thanks for posting this!

Radome_3593885b.jpg

You never hit the one you see.

No safety glass. That's interesting.
Contrary to what most think General Aviation (at least the smaller side of it) doesn't use Safety Glass in their windscreens. Once you get into larger/faster airplanes this changes but a very large number of your smaller/slower airplanes do not have impact glass.

To those that say a drone is not big enough to cause a problem for aircraft, check out what a bird can do. Probably about the same weight as a phantom 3, give or take.

This is what happens when a bird smashes a plane's windshield

Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
One of my favorite clips to post when a forum member naively says, with conviction, that a 5 lb Phantom wouldn't harm a plane. Supposedly that is a Seagull impacting the windshield, about the same weight as a P3.

Reactions: BigAl07
When I was a kid, my grandfather owned a beautiful 1967 Beechcraft V-35 TC Bonanza. One day on approach a vulture hit his windscreen. The impact was so hard the remains of the bird went right through the passenger seat and ended up splattered all over the rear seats and bulkhead. Needless to say the plane needed a complete new interior, and if the bird had hit on the pilot's side, gramps would have been a goner for sure. Lucky ole bastard survived ANOTHER crash in a Piper Aztec a few years later too!

A Phantom (or larger) is a lot harder than a bird! Just sayin!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20