Big Island Dreaming

Reaction score
First post here and first off would like to thank the many contributing members for all of their great advice on quad/fpv setup etc. It saved me a lot of time and frustration.

Having very little rc flying experience I am feeling rather lucky to still have a phantom that flies after 2 relatively tame crashes and 1 heart-pounding "death wobble" crash from about 100ft agl at the top of Mauna Kea. (roughly 14,000ft). I was a little nervous flying that high but it surprisingly performed well up until, what I believe was, a wind gust combined with the thin air sent it into an uncontrollable downward wobble. I am curious if dji or anyone has tested its service ceiling? What is the highest people have flown at? I understand performance incorporates a lot more than just altitude (ie. temp, press., etc.)

If interested, here is my first video stitch from a few days shooting around the big island of Hawaii (minus the crash sequences): https://vimeo.com/86908172

I think you may have just established the service ceiling! Some great shots there. Well done.

Well done. Love the diversity of overheads, underwater and land based videos. Like overheads, but mixing it up a bit adds to the quality. Fine job of filming and editing.

Nice! Was this shot in 2.7k and what frame rate? With or without ProTune?

Thanks for the kind words. I feel like I have so much to learn in the film/editing world. It's been great seeing all of the amazing videos posted on this forum.

I shot all of this at 1080/60fps. Roughly the 2nd half of vid was shot with protune on and raw white balance. I don't have much experience with that setting and so I wanted to see the difference. I used the free gopro studio to process the protune footage and slowed a lot of it 50% before exporting at 30fps. Then I compiled the clips and added transitions in Final Cut Pro.

There is probably a better place in this forum to post this question but has anyone ever rigged a lightweight split neutral density filter to the gopro? I figure it would not be adjustable but maybe set at a third from the top of the field of view. I'm eager to find something that would work for those hours where the sun is low on the horizon. I'm sure some very impressive footage could be had with something like this. I may try rigging something to the inside of the protective lens cover that gopro makes. If anyone has any wisdom on this I would appreciate it.

Thats a classy video which was really enjoyable to watch. I always like to see a mix of aerial and ground footage and I love seeing shots of the people who made it. Great work and I look forward to seeing what else your going to do with it. Thats quite a first post :)

Yeah great Video, one of the best I have seen in here.

Ha ha the fish in the end are nearly eating the camera :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20