Big Brother Watching?

Reaction score
I had an interesting experience today. I live pretty close to Lake Mead which is a National Recreation Area. Today I was flying close to there from an area I know to be a couple of miles from the boundary line to the park. While flying I heard the sounds of a helicopter behind me and I turned to see that one was maybe 500 yards away at perhaps 250’ off the ground. It was coming my way. My Phantom was about 130’ up and about 200 yards away in the opposite direction. I went into an immediate hover and began a rapid descent to about 30’ off the ground – any lower and I might have lost my signal. The copter came ever closer and circled me from around 50 feet up and 40 yards out. I thought for sure he was going to land. It was a National Park Service copter and he was giving me a good look. This lasted maybe 30-45 seconds and he finally began to move away and finally disappeared. I kind of get the feeling my license plate might have been recorded for posterity – they were certainly close enough for a picture. I decided that I should probably call it a day.

When I got home I got up on Google Earth and confirmed that my launch spot was over 2.3 miles from the park and also that none of my flights came within ½ mile of the park. So If I get a greeting in the mail or a knock at the door I think I’m on solid ground.

Maybe they were checking me out for completely different reasons but it was kinda creepy. :mad:

I had an interesting experience today. I live pretty close to Lake Mead which is a National Recreation Area. Today I was flying close to there from an area I know to be a couple of miles from the boundary line to the park. While flying I heard the sounds of a helicopter behind me and I turned to see that one was maybe 500 yards away at perhaps 250’ off the ground. It was coming my way. My Phantom was about 130’ up and about 200 yards away in the opposite direction. I went into an immediate hover and began a rapid descent to about 30’ off the ground – any lower and I might have lost my signal. The copter came ever closer and circled me from around 50 feet up and 40 yards out. I thought for sure he was going to land. It was a National Park Service copter and he was giving me a good look. This lasted maybe 30-45 seconds and he finally began to move away and finally disappeared. I kind of get the feeling my license plate might have been recorded for posterity – they were certainly close enough for a picture. I decided that I should probably call it a day.

When I got home I got up on Google Earth and confirmed that my launch spot was over 2.3 miles from the park and also that none of my flights came within ½ mile of the park. So If I get a greeting in the mail or a knock at the door I think I’m on solid ground.

Maybe they were checking me out for completely different reasons but it was kinda creepy. :mad:
Could have been worse. You could have lost signal and had your rth set at 250'... i wouldnt be worried about a knock on the door.

Obvioulsy they have nothing to do.

No offense, but you sound like all the paranoid people out there who scream "a drone is spying on me" every time one flies anywhere in their neighborhood.

If you didn't do anything, don't be worried about a letter or a knock on the door.

Frankly, if that pilot knew about the drone - he would have not gotten that close.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: hali_pilot
BTW are you sure that it would be illegal to fly in the NRA?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

They may call in the militia on you yet, I once accidentally went to 405' (a complete mind lapse) once I realized the fatal error, I descended and turned myself in to the local cop shop, they looked confused and told me to sign the walk in roster, and I was free to go, I waited for days for the FAA or DJI to call me, "nada" you might get this lucky also. ;)

You are worried for no reason. I believe they were doing their duty of surveillance. They will never take a risk to come closer to a drone, they also love their lives.

Well guys, I seem to have come off in a way that wasn’t intended. Perhaps a poor choice of words and a dry sense of humor? I’m not paranoid but it does sort of pique your curiosity when something like that happens. I’m sure that if I had actually been doing something wrong there would have been a ranger there (in a car) shortly after the helicopter.

If I had to guess, I think the pilot was checking out some sort of situation in the area, but had no idea that I had a drone in the air. Can’t believe he would have come so close otherwise. It did leave enough of an impression that I wanted to verify to myself that I wasn’t flying in a restricted area. So thanks for all the comments and observations with the possible exception of Medina – I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about…….

I'm glad they take National security this important. They may be just seeing who u are, getting pics of u and your car and plates. Better safe than sorry. U never know. Big Brother has to watch to keep us safe.

It's the start of growing season.

Maybe somewhere, but not where I was flying.
DJI_0013.JPG

Well guys, I seem to have come off in a way that wasn’t intended. Perhaps a poor choice of words and a dry sense of humor? I’m not paranoid but it does sort of pique your curiosity when something like that happens. I’m sure that if I had actually been doing something wrong there would have been a ranger there (in a car) shortly after the helicopter.

If I had to guess, I think the pilot was checking out some sort of situation in the area, but had no idea that I had a drone in the air. Can’t believe he would have come so close otherwise. It did leave enough of an impression that I wanted to verify to myself that I wasn’t flying in a restricted area. So thanks for all the comments and observations with the possible exception of Medina – I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about…….
Hell, if a chopper hung around anyone else flying a UAV at a low elevation they would've come and done exactly what you did, Post it in a forum people just like to be indifferent at times.

Reactions: BDinLV

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20