Better Video with U3 cards?

Reaction score
I record with 2K at 30fps, and once in awhile video gets slightly choppy. Will a U3 card improve this? It's rated at 90mb/s. Amazon has a 32 gig PNY for $10 on sale.

You only need a card capable of at least 5MBps to capture 40Mbps, which is what the bitrate is for the Standard camera. I think U1 cards have a guaranteed minumum of 10MB per second.

Are you choppy during quick pans or what? At 30fps that is to be expected unless you go very slowly. There is also rolling shutter which you might be seeing.

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm new to drones and looking to get a SanDisk extreme plus. They have 90mb/s read and write speeds. Would that help? I noticed when I take HDR photos it does take a few seconds with the standard SanDisk Ultra card.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So the faster card will have zero benefit other than loading off the content from the card onto a computer?

Are you choppy during quick pans or what? At 30fps that is to be expected unless you go very slowly. There is also rolling shutter which you might be seeing.
Choppy pretty much with all panning. I know that's more of a gimbal limitation. But forward flight as well once in awhile, not related to 30fps. Guess at that price it can't hurt to try, I'll report back if I see improvement.

The only way the gimbal could cause anything that would resemble a chop would be if it was making jerky movements, if its making jerky movements its certainly defective.

Also what makes you say its not related to the 30fps, anything shooting in 30fps will have chop when movement is taking place.

I record with 2K at 30fps, and once in awhile video gets slightly choppy. Will a U3 card improve this? It's rated at 90mb/s. Amazon has a 32 gig PNY for $10 on sale.

Might want to check Best Buy and their daily deals. They have a Samsung Pro+ 32gb for $22. It seems to be a very highly rated card.

The only way the gimbal could cause anything that would resemble a chop would be if it was making jerky movements, if its making jerky movements its certainly defective.
Rather the lack of panning on the gimbal leads to the choppy panning from the aircraft itself. The reason I think it's not the 30fps is because I'll be recording video flying straight forward at a constant speed, and I'll see a few frames drop every now and then, but definitely not on a consistent basis.

Then might want to just get the faster card. Even though it may not benefit you. At least you can rule out the possibility of it being the card. After all the card is about $20. Not a huge loss if it doesn't solve the problem.

Yeah always possible that the card you have now is defective who knows. But you are also sure it's not rolling shutter related?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj