Better range with different display!

Reaction score
Found something out by accident today. I usually fly with my Nexus tablet, and found my range (distance out from me) sucks! I start getting transmission error signal about 1,200 feet. Today I went to fly and I must have left my tablet on, because it was dead. So I grabbed my phone, a "non-official" supported device, and went 3,500+ feet and never got any errors!
Why does the display play such a big factor in range?

Display (or rather mobile device) is completely not a factor.

Are you sure you're talking about Ph3 Pro or Advanced?

Reactions: smackc4
Two different days - different conditions.
Well, I just installed a fresh battery and connected my tablet. Flew nearly the same path as my first post, at 2,100 ft I got a transmission error. With my phone I flew 3,500 ft and NEVER got a error.

Well, I just installed a fresh battery and connected my tablet. Flew nearly the same path as my first post, at 2,100 ft I got a transmission error. With my phone I flew 3,500 ft and NEVER got a error.
Maybe not enough processor power in your tablet?
I use a Galaxy Tab A which isn't on the compatable list and get ks from my P3P.
Does the advanced use Lightbridge?
I'm pretty sure it does.

Maybe not enough processor power in your tablet?
I use a Galaxy Tab A which isn't on the compatable list and get ks from my P3P.
Does the advanced use Lightbridge?
I'm pretty sure it does.
Yes, it does use lightbridge. That is what I'm thinking, my phone has 2x the processor and RAM than my tablet. I like the larger display, but the range difference is a big deal for me.

Well let me throw this in the mix. Up until a few weeks ago I used an old crappy Amazon Fire tablet to fly my P4. It always crashed when as soon as I hit record. But if I didn't try to record any video with it I generally had decent range. Flying from my property I fly this same path that takes me out over some trees, but when I flew this same path using my iPad Pro 32g I suddenly got some green lines on my screen but I was only out 3800 ft. I can't recall the actual distance I would get in this same area using my Amazon Fire but I know by the landscape it was farther than with the iPad Pro. I even went out a different direction 8800 ft using the Fire. But I haven't tried that direction using the iPad Pro yet.
I'm out in the country with few houses so I don't feel like there was any kind of wifi interference.
Point is that my iPad Pro has way more processing power than the Fire, in fact the two aren't even comparable. And flying within 1500 ft the iPad Pro is flawless, recording or not.

Last edited:
It's hard to see how the device you use to view makes any difference to how the Phantom deals with the signal from the controller.
The Phantom and controller work OK without any phone or tablet - you can switch off the screen and still fly.

I have mentioned this same thing before. I get much better range with my Ipad mini 4 than I do with my Nvidia Shield. I have tested them back, same day, same place a couple times. I am guessing maybe it has something to do with the metal back of the ipad versus the plastic of the Nvidia? But there is definitely a difference.

I get much better range with my Ipad mini 4 than I do with my Nvidia Shield.[...] maybe it has something to do with the metal back of the ipad versus the plastic of the Nvidia?

Could be. It is also possible that nVidia has something wrong with filtering in its charging circuit, and introduces interference to the RC.

Display should not make any difference as it has no direct comms with the AC. The display only talks to the RC and especially with Adv / Pro where its a cable connection.

Nigel

Display should not make any difference as it has no direct comms with the AC. The display only talks to the RC and especially with Adv / Pro where its a cable connection.

Nigel
It should not, but it does.

It's hard to see how the device you use to view makes any difference to how the Phantom deals with the signal from the controller.
The Phantom and controller work OK without any phone or tablet - you can switch off the screen and still fly.
Hard to see or not, devices do affect range. Makes no sense to me either, but I've seen it first hand, using 5 different phones and tablets. Some get way on out there, while others have crap for signal at 2 ft away. Then others won't give me anything but black for video, with everything green and gtg. Go figure! [emoji45]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj