Best way to tell front from back - P2 FPV

Reaction score
Flying lots this week at the beach and with vision that's not as good as it was 20yrs ago it can be tough to see front from back at higher altitudes....I have seen red prop guards that show it off a little more but since I dont use them what options do I have to make it more visible? I have the iOSD installed and the IRC coming back to my Black Pearl...Is there a way to use that on-screen data to know which way I am heading?

ddublu said:
Flying lots this week at the beach and with vision that's not as good as it was 20yrs ago it can be tough to see front from back at higher altitudes....I have seen red prop guards that show it off a little more but since I dont use them what options do I have to make it more visible? I have the iOSD installed and the IRC coming back to my Black Pearl...Is there a way to use that on-screen data to know which way I am heading?

With DJI IOSD you'll see a diamond in the middle of your screen telling you that it's facing you.

Hi...

I use this method, rather different, but not too expensive.
It's an LED hi intensity head lamp, zip tied to a camera guard. It can easily be seen during the bright days. The carbon fiber camera guard can be bought through "fastsmiles" (members of this site) The lamp can be bought at Costco, 2 for $10.00. Real easy to find your oeientation. Just rotate (yaw) your phantom until you see the light. Then your right stick will control your bird. Forward is forward, back is toward you, etc etc

Attachments

• 100_2025.JPG
    100_2025.JPG
    570.6 KB · Views: 603
  • 100_2023.JPG
    100_2023.JPG
    644.9 KB · Views: 569
  • 100_2022.JPG
    100_2022.JPG
    648.4 KB · Views: 602
good idea with the light. i wondered if putting a thin carbon rod with a flag on the end hanging out the rear would be ok? to make it look a bit like a helicopter boom??

I don't think thTs a good idea. Don't you think the wind would want to blow it around like a sail or act like a rudder ?

Interesting idea and would be easy to try. (carefully)

Avoid adding entire flash lights to your quad unless you like shorter flight times. Do a search on e-bay for 'Phantom headlight'. There are small, lightweight LED arrays you can buy cheap.

$5.00-

$_12.JPG

LuvMyTJ said:
Avoid adding entire flash lights to your quad unless you like shorter flight times. Do a search on e-bay for 'Phantom headlight'. There are small, lightweight LED arrays you can buy cheap.

$5.00-

+1, adding a whole headlight to a p2 will drop flight times by a huge margin. Remember the rule of thumb, one gram of added weight = 1 second less flight.

Note that a lot of phantom puck lights are meant to plug into the balance lead of a standard lipo. You'll need to rig an aux power lead to supply that from the p2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.